OT: COVID-19-No politics! Read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Sigh. H1N1-2009 resulted in 59,000,000 infections in the USA in 12 months. 275,000 people were hospitalized (0.0045%).

Based on what we are seeing from the other countries, somewhere between 8-15% of people require hospitalization for Covid-19.

59,000,000 catch this over the next 12 months, that's a MINIMUM of 4,700,000 extra hospitalizations in the healthcare system. USA will not be on the minimum end with their obesity rates (a co-morbidity for Covid-19)

There are just over 100,000 ICU beds in the US.

Is that math starting to seem scary, if they can't spread this thing out?

In Italy, you no longer get a ventilator unless you're 30 years old or younger. That is some SERIOUS triage.

The Italian government has a serious debt issue. One would be silly to think that isn't a factor with their mess. The projections again are pretty similar to H1N1 which is why i asked. The infection rate being that much greater could indeed cause an issue. Time will tell.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Sigh. H1N1-2009 resulted in 59,000,000 infections in the USA in 12 months. 275,000 people were hospitalized (0.0045%).

Based on what we are seeing from the other countries, somewhere between 8-15% of people require hospitalization for Covid-19.

59,000,000 catch this over the next 12 months, that's a MINIMUM of 4,700,000 extra hospitalizations in the healthcare system. USA will not be on the minimum end with their obesity rates (a co-morbidity for Covid-19)

There are just over 100,000 ICU beds in the US.

Is that math starting to seem scary, if they can't spread this thing out?

In Italy, you no longer get a ventilator unless you're 30 years old or younger. That is some SERIOUS triage.
Can't remember where I read it but congress got a projection yesterday of 70-150 million people could be infected. At 1% mortality rate that's 700k deaths to 1.5 million deaths. Its hard to imagine 50% of the population contracting it but 80% of cases are mild and the ones that aren't hit hard.

schiavoo

Mar 13, 2020
The Italian government has a serious debt issue. One would be silly to think that isn't a factor with their mess. The projections again are pretty similar to H1N1 which is why i asked. The infection rate being that much greater could indeed cause an issue. Time will tell.

Ontario's healthcare system boasts of having 275 extra ventilators on hand in case of another pandemic, this thanks to SARS.

Wow, 275! I sure hope more than 5,000 people don't catch this thing in Ontario, otherwise, if your 65-year old loved one happens to have a regular run-of-the-mill heart attack a month from now, they won't even be treated because all equipment is in use.

schiavoo

Mar 13, 2020
Can't remember where I read it but congress got a projection yesterday of 70-150 million people could be infected. At 1% mortality rate that's 700k deaths to 1.5 million deaths. Its hard to imagine 50% of the population contracting it but 80% of cases are mild and the ones that aren't hit hard.

Considering 59 million americans got H1 in 2009, very easy to see that # catching this, and that's enough to collapse the system to the point where people don't get treatment for even usual things.

"80% of cases are mild" is FAR TOO LOW a number of mild cases to stop a collapse. Why do you think they're shutting everything down? 99.5% of H1N1 cases were mild.

This isn't just me pulling this from google.... doctors... scientists.. they're warning us.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There's legit places to point where the Boomer generation had it better than subsequent generations. But once again, it's the absolute worst human instinct (envy) to blame the powerless people who had NOTHING to do with the major world altering decisions just because they had it better. And there's many from the Boomer generation who didn't lead comfortable lives: rampant drug use, alcoholism, broken families, disappeared pensions, lack of purpose, first post war generation to deal cultural subversion/degeneration, etc.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's actually disgraceful that you think it is funny and you should to be ashamed of yourself for posting it!

Your sense of humour has a lot to be desired, obviously very immature.

I don't have a problem with it, it's not particularly funny but that's hardly surprising since it's Twitter

The hypocrisy is a lot harder to take though

If a joke is funny I laugh. Don't care if it hurts people's feelings.

BoomerRemover is pretty funny. The Boomers that accuse Millennials of not being able to take a joke all off a sudden are pissed off.

Talking about dying millenials in the middle of a pandemic that overwhelmingly affects them health wise would be hilarious, I can almost feel the comedic value

Millenials, all about acceptance and diversity, except boomers because **** those old picks who ruined my life

schiavoo

Mar 13, 2020
i read 0.04. Then numbers in the 2s :)

I'm not gonna debate a topic I just looked into. But it seems to be a debated matter. Rate of death linked to H1N1 15 times higher than previously confirmed

Same thing would happen with this, written 3 years in the future.

Covid-19 death rate will obviously be higher in a place like Africa, if it were to take hold there, and not all the deaths would come to light for a few years.

We are all screwed.

Gun drawn at a Toronto Loblaws an hour ago.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Same thing would happen with this, written 3 years in the future.

Covid-19 death rate will obviously be higher in a place like Africa, if it were to take hold there, and not all the deaths would come to light for a few years.

We are all screwed.

Gun drawn at a Toronto Loblaws an hour ago.
I don't think we're screwed :p
wha? y Loblaws in the Upper Beaches is a mess.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

A lot of factory's in Norhern Italy are Chinese owned and staffed by Chinese people, a lot of the staff are from the region around Wuhan and the local government was telling people to go out and hug or shake the hands of an Asian when the outbreak was raging in China

I'm pretty sure that didn't help either :laugh:

Reactions: yubbers

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
some of the more recent posts remind me of why I don't come here more often, people will trash anyone not belonging to their given tribe, perhaps Mother Earth is doing some non selective pruning with this virus to improve the gene pool?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I believe these viruses like influenza and cold viruses do best in colder regions where people are huddled together indoors in heated enclosures.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
East end grocery store I visited this morning:

no tp
no feminine hygiene products whatsoever
no flour
no yeast (after I took the last jar)
no powdered milk
no lentils, canned or dried
very little rice remaining
no good frozen veggies (specifically peas, lima beans, endamame beans)
no kleenex
still eggs, cheese, milk, meat, bread

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
some of the more recent posts remind me of why I don't come here more often, people will trash anyone not belonging to their given tribe, perhaps Mother Earth is doing some non selective pruning with this virus to improve the gene pool?

How very extinction rebellion of you :laugh:

I'd describe this as selective pruning, age and respiratory situation has a lot to do fatality rates thus far

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
How very extinction rebellion of you :laugh:

I'd describe this as selective pruning, age and respiratory situation has a lot to do fatality rates thus far
I'm closer to 60 than 50, being in good health will trump age imo.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hey question guys, you know world news is saying theres about 5000 deaths from the virus right now, what do you guys think about people who are saying there could be 100 000 deaths right now

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
OK boomer is so insipid. It’s the perfect put-down for an inarticulate segment that speaks and thinks in text. I feel like I’ve been mauled by a poodle.

Kinda like "millenial", eh? But I bet you never thought there was anything wrong with talking about how awful, entitled and "inarticulate" they are.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Like those dudes who try to make a living driving for Uber/Lyft. I actually wonder if any of them actually make significant money when factoring in wear and tear on the vehicle, insurance, gas, the phone plan, the lost opportunity elsewhere, etc. The business idea of Uber/Lyft was sheer genius: deferred risk making money off other people's risk with zero risk to yourself.

I do the $5 tip every single time. These people are getting completely exploited. I wouldn't use Uber at all if it wasn't for two things: 1) Where I live (Burlington), the taxi company is a complete joke. I actually installed the app 5 years ago when I finally decided I wasn't going to hear the words "Your taxi will arrive in 45 minutes" ever again. And, 2) Because some of these people likely are desperate for even this work, regardless how they're getting screwed.

Reactions: JustAShadow

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Kinda like "millenial", eh?

More like "Snowflake". "Millennial" is a generational label like "Boomer" not a meme.

I approve of the use of both snowflake and ok boomer because it conveys a lot of information about the person using it immediately.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
It's actually disgraceful that you think it is funny and you should to be ashamed of yourself for posting it!

Your sense of humour has a lot to be desired, obviously very immature.

Can you point me to a hashtag that cheers on Millenial deaths?

I agree. Funny is funny. It's just when it comes from holier than thou folks that accuse you of being intolerant...you have to laugh at the stupidity and hypocrisy.

The ole rules for thee but not for me.

OK boomer is so insipid. It’s the perfect put-down for an inarticulate segment that speaks and thinks in text. I feel like I’ve been mauled by a poodle.

I don't have a problem with it, it's not particularly funny but that's hardly surprising since it's Twitter

The hypocrisy is a lot harder to take though

Talking about dying millenials in the middle of a pandemic that overwhelmingly affects them health wise would be hilarious, I can almost feel the comedic value

Millenials, all about acceptance and diversity, except boomers because **** those old picks who ruined my life

What a f***ing idiot to promote a disgusting hashtag.... but why am I not surprised

I assume you are all 50+

Can you honestly all say that you've never laughed at a millennial getting called... or laughed at someone getting offended by being called.

Snowflakes,
Live in Parents Basement
Social Justice Warrior
White Knight
Wants handouts
Entitled
Lazy
Lol Young People
Neckbeard

Etc etc

I love the fact that you all are getting offended an a freaking hashtag after constantly laughing at us for getting offended.

Reactions: Joey Hoser

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I assume you are all 50+

Can you honestly all say that you've never laughed at a millennial getting called... or laughed at someone getting offended by being called.

Snowflakes,
Live in Parents Basement
Social Justice Warrior
White Knight
Wants handouts
Entitled
Lazy
Lol Young People
Neckbeard

Etc etc

I love the fact that you all are getting offended an a freaking hashtag after constantly laughing at us for getting offended.
Actually a gen xer. Your missing the point that boomers don't run around telling ppl how intolerant they are :) and cheering on death is a notch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad