COVID-19 Megathread (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Slow burn continues

upload_2020-5-31_15-59-38.png

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Just saw on the news where Metro is talking about their huge budget shortfall, one of the stated reasons for this is the Predators not playing due to the pandemic. I don't intend to make light of the situation, but anyone who was around in 2007 surely snickered a little bit hearing that line.
i don't feel bad for them.

Nashville has been booming for a decade and locals have been getting killed by tourist spot prices.

This goes back to the debate of when should we open 100% back up.

Reactions: bdub24

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Still don't get why so many, particularly in the media, see an increase in cases and automatically frame that as horrible news. For me, number of cases means very little as far as how we should be reacting to this whole thing.

Only thing that matters is deaths and hospitalizations. If we see a ton of new cases but the deaths/hospitalization numbers remain low, it is good news and just more evidence that for the vast majority of Americans, this thing is far, far less dangerous than everyone thought.

I've said this before, but i firmly believe that if we could magically flip a button and learn the true number of Americans who have had the virus in the past 4 months, that number would be MUCH higher than anyone would believe. Wouldn't be surprised if it was several million at least.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Agree that at this point increased cases is at least in part due to increased testing and hospitalization and ICU cases is the most important number to watch. All the protests are almost certainly going to increase the number of cases everywhere but if the hospitalization numbers dont spike then that's a pretty good (although unscientific) study of what mass gatherings, outdoors, in warm weather does to COVID.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Right but I'm sure they were shut down for the weekend which has me wondering if that caused a back log. The testing in prisons, etc. sounds more plausible though.

Since the holiday was May 25th there was all last week to catch up the data, the blip (hopefully) was 8 days later. And the data is released every day, including Saturdays and Sundays so there isn't really a weekend. Data was released even the holiday Monday.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Since the holiday was May 25th there was all last week to catch up the data, the blip (hopefully) was 8 days later. And the data is released every day, including Saturdays and Sundays so there isn't really a weekend. Data was released even the holiday Monday.
Didn't know that. When it first started they said the numbers would spike on certain days due to certain labs not reporting on the weekend and rolling them all together.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So, about not opening up given the size of both protests and riots (different things) over the past two weeks.

When did anyone say we should "not open up"? Everyone has already been opening up the last month already. The demonstrations will, as I said above, provide an instructive albeit unscientific look at what happens via a vis COVID with large outdoor gatherings in warm weather

Reactions: bdub24 and Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, @101st_fan , I guess we'll see the effects of that in a week or two. Two separate issues crossed paths. Overall, I think people are reaching the end of their patience and are starting to question contradictions, but mostly we're just tired of living this way. For the mayor to thank protesters for a peaceful march but to also delay phase 3 because the numbers are going up a little does send a mixed message--both were probably appropriate actions in a vacuum, but they conflict logically. I don't want others to get sick so I'll wear the mask in closed in spaces and continue to wash my hands frequently, but I am ready to test the waters a little bit. How can you know Phase 2 is working if you're not doing anything different? I didn't wear a mask to lunch and the bar yesterday -- no one else was wearing one, either (except the waiters). I will visit with my family now. Would I go to a full arena to watch a hockey game? Probably not quite to that comfort level, but if the sick numbers don't go up significantly after this past week...maybe I would. Was all this appropriate? Yes, with reservations.

I think we could have shutdown for a much shorter time earlier than we did and nipped it in the bud. I do think the death rate would have been higher if this had been allowed to spread unchecked but I also think some of the shutdown measures put into place were too extreme--but this is all with hindsight. We could have had percentages like Italy, too. But to maim whole industries like we have was a tragic tradeoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad