COVID-19 Megathread (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Without disabling my adblocker for that article... what are the limitations of antibody tests in clarifying that? Shouldn't we already be able to tell if it was really widely circulating sooner? Or is that data just slow to coalesce as the focus is more on immediate active case testing? :dunno: (Or do the ABs just not linger long enough to know?)

Everybody has an anecdote, and many of us share a similar experience, but I'd think these would be relatively simple to build a case for or against. Of course, as we've seen in so many other aspects of this pandemic, many people are just going to believe their own anecdotes and fantasies regardless of what the research shows. But you'd think it would be hugely important to have this factor accounted for in the models and health policy planning, regardless of what the masses choose to believe about it.
:dunno:
Antibody tests wouldn't tell you more than if you have been exposed to it or not.

Currently there are studies going on to see how long they last. I'm assuming once that is determined you in theory could take samples and then back track to see if the levels line up with certain dates.

Right now the issue is the tests are pretty inaccurate ( I believe 50% was what I heard on CBS news the other day). But for me personally I'd like to know because I've been out in it every day and will continue to be because of work. It would more or less ease my mind about being out there.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Welp, the WHO (not the 70's rock band), the organization Twitter considers the Gold Standard to the point they ban opposing opinions, is not recommending healthy people wearing masks.

For some reason, the WHO still says you probably shouldn’t wear a mask
This is really not the right fight you know. I’m afraid that video is not used in context. The question is what narrative is that opinion piece trying prop up by completely misrepresenting professional medical recommendations

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This is really not the right fight you know. I’m afraid that video is not used in context. The question is what narrative is that opinion piece trying prop up by completely misrepresenting professional medical recommendations
And wait a second, isn't the WHO evil and wrong about everything anyway? So if they did say don't wear a mask... you should probably be wearing a mask.

(Is that how it works? -- apparently not!) :confused:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Welp, the WHO (not the 70's rock band), the organization Twitter considers the Gold Standard to the point they ban opposing opinions, is not recommending healthy people wearing masks.

For some reason, the WHO still says you probably shouldn’t wear a mask

A quick search of youtube reveals that video is from FEBRUARY 5TH.

You dont think things have changed since then??

Protip: Everything in the Washington Examiner is crap or at the very least misleading.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Meanwhile, the Knox County Health Department issues a "Red Light", prompting a full assessment of re-opening including possible adjustments to the current phase, or even reverting back to an earlier phase.

Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County Health Department issues first red light on reopening benchmark

Yes, they had 8 new cases on 5/29....... pretty bad headline, increase in positive cases is only part of benchmarks and they were expecting it. I think 14 new cases was their high in the last 2 weeks. No increase in hospitalizations.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
A quick search of youtube reveals that video is from FEBRUARY 5TH.

You dont think things have changed since then??

Protip: Everything in the Washington Examiner is crap or at the very least misleading.
Perhaps you should have checked the WHO website instead of YouTube. That’s what it says about masks right now

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Perhaps you should have checked the WHO website instead of YouTube. That’s what it says about masks right now
Again...really making the wrong argument. Read the WHO website again. What kind of masks are they talking about? And what is the current administration’s recommendation? Theres a difference between the two.

Reactions: czechczech

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Again...really making the wrong argument. Read the WHO website again. What kind of masks are they talking about? And what is the current administration’s recommendation? Theres a difference between the two.
Check New England journal medicine may21,2020 for mask study. Says basically ineffective outside of health care settings/interacting with infected person.
From the New England Journal of Medicine: “We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.” https://t.co/BYPSPC9SRD

Reactions: Armourboy

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Drw I'll point you to the COVID thread and the Vox article in the Eric Topol tweet.

Quite a few survivors have permanent damage to their lungs, heart, or brain, any one of which would be a career ender for a pro athlete. It's not just a binary between you either have a mild case or you die.

How many cases of this in people under 50??? What is the % risk of a pro athlete in their 20s and 30s getting permanent lung, heart or brain damage from a positive Corona test?

And I keep asking this question and no one ever answers- what about the millions of us who are out there right now, BY NECESSITY- living our lives- working, going to stores, restaurants, etc? If it is such a big risk for pro athletes, what about the rest of us?? I am pretty sure permanent lung or brain damage would be a pretty big problem for anyone, not just a pro athlete. Are pro athletes above the rest of us??

So what is the answer?? Just shut all sports down, and the world for that matter until this thing has completely been wiped off the planet?

Look- I am not saying for one second that there isn't any risk at all- of course there is. But again, every single person lives with risk every day of their life. I would be willing to be the % chance of an athlete dying in a car wreck would be just as high as their chance of dying (or getting the damage you mention above) from this virus.

And again I will point out- what we are talking about here are these players playing games in an empty arena, and every one of these players is going to be tested daily. I don't understand why so many people- even those in decision making positions, act like we are asking players to take some monumental health risk- it is simply not the case at all.

We can just agree to disagree and leave it at that- no since in bogging down the thread.

Reactions: predfan98

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Replying to @drwpreds here so as not to clog up the Observations thread. Yes, many of the people with post infection complications are younger, in their 20s and 30s, that's why they live instead of dying. Can you imagine what the repercussions would be if someone like McDavid or Ovechkin had to retire because of these complications?

This isnt going to last forever. A vaccine should allow a return to normalcy. Until then you will see risk averse groups(like I'm sure the owners and the NHLPA both are) make decisions that are on the conservative side.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How many cases of this in people under 50??? What is the % risk of a pro athlete in their 20s and 30s getting permanent lung, heart or brain damage from a positive Corona test?
I would suspect you can't take any global %risk here and apply it to the proposed NHL situation. The risk of 1 person out of the 10,000 or whatever it takes to pull this off getting it, under the conditions they are going to try their best to impose to isolate and protect everybody, is by design intended to be very very low. The problem is that if that 1 person does get it... then probably many more people do. But you'll notice that they did come up with this proposal and are making these plans, so they have evaluated the risk and have decided it's small enough that they may be able to proceed about 40 days from now. Extremely low risk is not no risk.
And I keep asking this question and no one ever answers- what about the millions of us who are out there right now, BY NECESSITY- living our lives- working, going to stores, restaurants, etc? If it is such a big risk for pro athletes, what about the rest of us?? I am pretty sure permanent lung or brain damage would be a pretty big problem for anyone, not just a pro athlete. Are pro athletes above the rest of us??
Yes, pro athletes are obviously above the rest of us. Basically, anybody with more money than you have is above you. That's how our society works. And yes, you are at risk. Much, much higher risk than these players are going to be.
Look- I am not saying for one second that there isn't any risk at all- of course there is. But again, every single person lives with risk every day of their life. I would be willing to be the % chance of an athlete dying in a car wreck would be just as high as their chance of dying (or getting the damage you mention above) from this virus.
Gary Bettman isn't going to be held personally responsible if a player dies in a car accident, though. He had no control over that situation. Or make it "the NHL" as the responsible party, if you like. Nobody will hold the NHL responsible for a death outside of their control. If a player died of Covid-19 complications today, sitting out the season shutdown at home, nobody would blame the NHL. But then the NHL puts together this tournament and brings players and support staff from all over the world together to put on this show. It's for entertainment, it isn't "necessary" by any stretch of definition of the word "necessary". Now they've taken on total responsibility for anything that happens to the people they've brought together for this entertainment spectacle.

So I don't think they're looking at it in terms of global % probabilities. Rather, it's about their own liability here. A 0.1% risk that they aren't remotely liable for is different than a 0.1% risk that they will be considered totally liable for, that's the perception of risk being evaluated here.

And again I will point out- what we are talking about here are these players playing games in an empty arena, and every one of these players is going to be tested daily. I don't understand why so many people- even those in decision making positions, act like we are asking players to take some monumental health risk- it is simply not the case at all.
Are you using the word "monumental" correctly here? If there was truly a perception of it being a "monumental" risk, then they wouldn't be planning to do this. There would be outrage, people would be raking the NHL over the coals, the boards would be on fire with it, the players wouldn't have agreed to the proposal, etc, etc.

Instead, there is an acknowledgement of risk, small, and a presentation by the NHL of a proposed path to mitigate that risk. Nobody is getting very outraged by it at all. Doesn't mean we don't acknowledge the risk or express a little bit of surprise that the NHL is being bold enough to take on that risk. Doesn't mean we disagree with their plans either. It sounds to me like they're putting together a sensible plan and are leaving it open to ongoing evaluation and taking excellent precautions. I think it's a good plan and I'm going to watch those games if they take place and enjoy them.

I think the bigger debate really has to be around their plans for next season. They believe they've hatched a plan to mitigate risks sufficiently to pull off this summer tournament, and I think most people believe they've got a good plan. But nobody knows what next season is going to look like, and no hockey again until December, or no fans in the arenas until a vaccine comes out (which could be much longer than that) would be a much bigger point of debate.

Reactions: Adz

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I have a serious question for the anti-mask folk.

Let's presuppose better science becomes available post-pandemic that shows that masks most likely didn't significantly halt transmission of this virus. What was the worst thing that happened to you by wearing the mask? You looked a little goofy while doing your grocery shopping?

What is the worst that can happen? You could contract the virus and unknowingly spread it to a vulnerable person who could die. You could spread it to somebody who handles it fine, that person could further spread it to someone who handles it fine, and maybe several more degrees of people spreading it handling it fine. At some point in the chain somebody spreads it to a vulnerable person who dies. The scenario sounds outlandish, but in fact it has happened roughly 105,000 times in the U.S. and 368,000 times in the world.

Viruses have been evolving longer than I can conceive. Natural selection has made them a beast to deal with. We can't save everybody. I get it. People will die. If wearing a mask even has a chance of breaking the chain of transmission that could save one life isn't it worth it?

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Liability is the main reason why any business puts in safety precautions that have a very small risk of happening. You don't want to be responsible for someone getting COVID without doing everything you can possibly do to try to stop it. Why are their rules about helmets and visors and pads and equipment? To try to keep injuries down. It won't stop them all but it sure will help. I don't see this being any different with the COVID rules.

Reactions: PredsV82 and bdub24

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Check New England journal medicine may21,2020 for mask study. Says basically ineffective outside of health care settings/interacting with infected person.
From the New England Journal of Medicine: “We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.” https://t.co/BYPSPC9SRD
Read a little further.... there also appears to be a symbolic benefit to the general public wearing masks the article goes on to state.

Reactions: czechczech

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
i hope all the masses are wearing masks in those massive protests.
Well so far I'm generally, uh, "impressed" that so many do seem to be. From snippets seen on the news anyway. But I guess there's kind of a double advantage right now to wearing a mask if you're going out for those... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad