OT: COVID-19 general thread (read OP, post #841)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
There may not be "shortages" but in the last four days I haven't been able to get a single package of any kind of chicken or beef in three different groceries stores in my town.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
I'm quite worried about a national lock down as my teenage daughter is in PA with her mother. It's a 2.5 hours trip and no way for me to get there if they restrict travel. Going to stink not seeing her for a long period of time.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
South Korea updated COVID19 data (3/17/20). 8,320 confirmed cases, overall death rate = 0.97%. Still not a single death in patients < 30 years old in 2,852 cases. Patients age 30 - 49 = death rate of 0.1% (2 in 2,020), similar to flu. Death rate > 80 however = 10.2% (274 cases).

A 10% death rate in any patient population is insanely high. We already know coronavirus is far more lethal to the elderly, but I have hopes that South Korea's > 10% death rate can be partially explained by these factors:

1) One of the higher smoking rates in the developed world
2) The elderly typically live with their families
3) Low N's

Of those, I think #2 could be a HUGE factor.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We're not even going to have as good a curve as South Korea, we're just not. There's still a woeful lack of both tests to run, and masks to protect hospital people.

And this is one of the 'best' hospitals in the US.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
We're not even going to have as good a curve as South Korea, we're just not. There's still a woeful lack of both tests to run, and masks to protect hospital people.

Way too early to say.

Unrelated, but I don't trust pretty much anything Buzzfeed "News" says. They hype Kardashian boyfriends, let alone coronavirus.

Reactions: Darkauron

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
South Korea updated COVID19 data (3/17/20). 8,320 confirmed cases, overall death rate = 0.97%. Still not a single death in patients < 30 years old in 2,852 cases. Patients age 30 - 49 = death rate of 0.1% (2 in 2,020), similar to flu. Death rate > 80 however = 10.2% (274 cases).

A 10% death rate in any patient population is insanely high. We already know coronavirus is far more lethal to the elderly, but I have hopes that South Korea's > 10% death rate can be partially explained by these factors:

1) One of the higher smoking rates in the developed world
2) The elderly typically live with their families
3) Low N's

Of those, I think #2 could be a HUGE factor.

It puts into perspective the 1919 Spanish Flu pandemic. The estimated mortality rate is estimated to be 10%-20%, affecting young, healthy adults more than the elderly (because strong immune systems overreacted to the virus).

At first, I thought I read that its mortality rate was estimated to be 3-5%, which is already bad, but it turns out that that's the percentage of the world population that died. Absolutely insane.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I'd be mildly surprised if we had 20000 tests total so far. And we haven't gotten to the rest of these measures yet.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yes south korea's numbers are low because they are getting on top of cases of people that are asymptomatic. we are only testing people who show severe symptoms and not even all of those people so our mortality rate is going to be insanely high until we have universal testing. if that ever happens

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
My sister is a medical researcher and we talked a bit about it all last night, as she is working directly with some of the epidemiologists at the CDC.

She is worried. She knows Dr. Fauci (The doctor at Trump's side during all of the speeches) and said he's not one to worry or panic, but he is now and that is disheartening. All of the epidemiologists she knows are furious too because they've been ignored for months. She also said this in a text:

We have 5x the population of Italy, and we are testing a 2% their testing rate. We have already surpassed their growth rate/curve (where they were on the curve at this point). We are headed for worse than Italy. We (all of us under 50) will be fine - but this is an egregious misappropriation (mistrust?) of medical and epidemiological measures.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah it seems like there’s a portion of the population where reality hasn’t pierced the bubble of “we’re the united states we’ll be fine” or “it won’t happen to me” but the next two weeks are going to be a wake up call

Reactions: Colin226

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i lived in china for 2 years and was in contact with some friends as they were going through it in wuhan and other cities and i don’t think we’re prepared enough, by a long shot

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
yeah it seems like there’s a portion of the population where reality hasn’t pierced the bubble of “we’re the united states we’ll be fine” or “it won’t happen to me” but the next two weeks are going to be a wake up call

that's what my sister is saying and i am not impressed with her

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
yes south korea's numbers are low because they are getting on top of cases of people that are asymptomatic. we are only testing people who show severe symptoms and not even all of those people so our mortality rate is going to be insanely high until we have universal testing. if that ever happens

I could be wrong, but I don't believe South Korea's testing asymptomatic people. I'm not even sure how that would be possible or productive. I guess maybe if 1 person at your company tests positive then you test everyone else there anyway would be one possible benefit, but I'd also think that would really stress the labs.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
south korea is testing almost everyone in the population i believe. they are having drive up testing for tens of thousands of people a day. they have 8,000 cases but have tested over 250,000

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
either way we have people here showing symptoms and testing negative for flu and strep that aren't getting tested yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad