OT: COVID-19 general thread (read OP, post #841)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
With this virus's impact on everyday life, it's obvious at the very least we need a seperate Coronavirus thread apart from the TaN since it's basically become the COVID thread the last few days, which is understandable at this point. Other boards have their own general COVID thread by now so it's probably a good idea to try to seperate discussion here as well. Discuss the virus and its impact on everyday life here (locally, worldwide or personally).

Reminder: Politics are still not allowed on HF with only limited exceptions, either directly relating to hockey, or in a general sense on the mainboard COVID forum, as per their ground rules post. Do not use this thread or forum to critique political acts or figures, whether they're the president of the US, another worldwide leader or any other national/local politician. Whether they may deserve praise or criticism isn't the point. You can make general posts or Tweets of fact related to the virus, such as 'Governor Murphy closed the schools in NJ today' but that's about it.

If you guys still want a TaN for non-COVID stuff go for it but it'd be for the best not to have the same conversations in two different threads, so let's keep the COVID stuff here for the time being. Thanks in advance for understanding and here's to hoping for the best for everyone here and everyone's family/friends.

Last edited:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
My last post was that NYC closed public schools for a week, and will start remote learning a week from tomorrow.

As someone who works in IT for a school that was prepared for such a scenario, whereas I'm not sure that the NYC BOE is, I shudder for their sanity.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
My last post was that NYC closed public schools for a week, and will start remote learning a week from tomorrow.

As someone who works in IT for a school that was prepared for such a scenario, whereas I'm not sure that the NYC BOE is, I shudder for their sanity.

it sounds like Cuomo forced BDB to close the schools. He wasn’t going to do it this week

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
With closing the schools, hopefully kids don't just gather at malls and parks during the day - it would kind of defeat the purpose of not having everyone together at a school.

It's obvious people can't seem to 'social distance' on their own so governments and health officials are gonna have to force the issue on them. Kind of amazing too since there are more ways to talk to people these days without being in the same room with Facetime and stuff like that.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
My daughters school has closed down through their spring break. I'm petrified of the students falling behind. Granted my wife and I are both teachers so she will theoretically be fine but the other kids who don't have such resources might be in trouble. There are so many different negative aspects to this, health aside.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
My daughters school has closed down through their spring break. I'm petrified of the students falling behind. Granted my wife and I are both teachers so she will theoretically be fine but the other kids who don't have such resources might be in trouble. There are so many different negative aspects to this, health aside.

Not to mention childcare issues if the parents still have to work.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

they don’t have any remote learning set up?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Not to mention childcare issues if the parents still have to work.
Exactly. We are very fortunate with regard to that but many of my friends with children aren't.
they don’t have any remote learning set up?
There will be more information tomorrow but I don't know exactly how much can be accomplished for 1st graders remotely. Luckily though between my wife and I we can keep our child on the right path, I just hope others can as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My town mayor just issued an executive order to halt all establishments from serving food other than takeout or delivery (i.e. no more crowded restaurants). I suspect a lot of cities will have to do this soon enough.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Talk about out of touch, my company sent out a message today saying "We're open for business on Monday, if you're healthy we are looking forward to seeing you in the office tomorrow."

Glad I have to risk my health and the lives of my high risk family members for a company that clearly does not give a shit about me.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Some government officials have cautioned that if the virus keeps on it’s trajectory that schools could be cancelled for the rest of the school year. Bonkers. We might see the US implement travel restrictions between states.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Italy just had its worst day with 3,590 new cases. We need to realize it's going to get worse, even if we shutdown.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The CDC changed its' recommendations tonight, advising against any groups of 50 or more.

This pretty much forces public officials hands to close restaurants & bars (at least that's my interpretation) so I think you're going to see a lot more of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad