OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Marine forecast for today says it's a drinking day:North to northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Bay
waters choppy.

Last two days were good though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davegarri

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Well sad news and proof that living on a deserted island is no protection from Covid
We have lost Mary Ann
RIP you sweet lil brunette
dawnwells2.jpg

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
At the end of the day life has to go on/get back to “normal”. It’s been almost a year, we can’t just keep shutting things down forever.

I mean, we're like 90 days from a lifesaving vaccines being available to everyone. Drifting around the ocean on a life raft for weeks and then as the Coast Guard Cutter approaches you're just like "f*** it man, it's hopeless" and just dive over the side to get eaten by the sharks

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I mean, we're like 90 days from a lifesaving vaccines being available to everyone. Drifting around the ocean on a life raft for weeks and then as the Coast Guard Cutter approaches you're just like "f*** it man, it's hopeless" and just dive over the side to get eaten by the sharks

Rather extreme I’d say

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

If this simile wasn't so right on the money, I'd laugh but it's kinda sad. This is exactly how I feel.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I know this isn't the Covid thread but I hope the mods can give me to latitude here. We are literally approaching a rate of 2 million vaccine doses per day (we actually did 2 million doses today, but it was a bit of a spike, the average daily rate over the last week is now up to 1.6 million though). FDA is considering emergency use authorization on a vaccine from J&J, if approved the rate could go a lot higher.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
"Just" 90 days? Lol. Far too many places are going to have trouble getting through the next week, let alone the next three months. It's easy for working people with guaranteed jobs to just put their heads down and gut it out for another 90 days, but this isn't one-size-fits-all. It never was, and never should have been.

As an aside, the above accepts the premise that the 90-day timeline is accurate. You're free to believe that, but I would caution against taking those words as gospel. We've surpassed Day 300 of "15 days to slow the spread." We're about ~275 days past what was said to be our Easter reopening. I was told that a $1400 stimulus check was a Day 1 objective for the new administration, which we now know was a lie.

Hanging our hats on the government's arbitrary measures/projections is an exercise in futility. Again, you're free to use this new 90-day timeline as the guiding light in your life, but you'll have to excuse those running businesses/organizations who can't afford to be fooled again.

I'm sorry for your business and the disruption in your life. I can't believe how fortunate I am as a work-from-home guy; my life didn't really change much.

I'm less angry at the approach the government is taking - but more angry at the whipsawing and the changing message.

Look, either don't close down at all, and just have it out with this thing, or truly lock us down fully and eradicate it. I don't think half-measures are the answer - so the "it's kinda ok to go back to normal" approach that we're taking right now is the worst. I understand that the intent was: "make everyone be sick over a long period of time instead of overwhelming our hospitals all at once."

The problem is: That long period of time might continue on ad infinitum, and then we're really screwed.

At this point I've got all my hopes in the vaccine and the possibility of eradicating this thing - Else we should just pack it in and damn the torpedoes and open everything wide and have it out and people will die.

I feel your pain though.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'm sorry for your business and the disruption in your life. I can't believe how fortunate I am as a work-from-home guy; my life didn't really change much.

I'm less angry at the approach the government is taking - but more angry at the whipsawing and the changing message.

Look, either don't close down at all, and just have it out with this thing, or truly lock us down fully and eradicate it. I don't think half-measures are the answer - so the "it's kinda ok to go back to normal" approach that we're taking right now is the worst. I understand that the intent was: "make everyone be sick over a long period of time instead of overwhelming our hospitals all at once."

The problem is: That long period of time might continue on ad infinitum, and then we're really screwed.

At this point I've got all my hopes in the vaccine and the possibility of eradicating this thing - Else we should just pack it in and damn the torpedoes and open everything wide and have it out and people will die.

I feel your pain though.

I don't want to belabor all the failures that got us to this point. The bottom line is that the AZ and Moderna vaccines are two of the most effective vaccines ever created by science and are going into 1.6 million arms a day (and rising!)

That is a very good thing, that is a great reason for hope.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
At the end of the day life has to go on/get back to “normal”. It’s been almost a year, we can’t just keep shutting things down forever.

life will go on if people keep doing what they are supposed to be doing and the vaccine gets to everyone in the next 3-6 months

why would you now just say "f*** it" when, as you said, its been almost a year. At least there is an end in sight.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
My school district is reopening schools in a week. The governor is reopening restaurants. For a year we've had blinking roadside billboards with 'Stay Home, Mask up, Stay Safe' on every highway - but they are gone now. Vaccines are still probably 3? months away for my under 65, healthy family.

I don't get it. We are in the home stretch of this thing. The graphs may be flattening a bit - but 100000 daily new cases in the US would've incited panic at this time last year - much less talk of 'reopening'.

Lost a brother-in-law and father-in-law to this thing last year.

Can't we wait three months to reopen everything?

Why NOW is it ok?

That's just sad that you school district is just NOW reopening schools in a week, especially with the spread in schools being so low.

I'm very fortunate that my kid's schools have been open for in-person learning for most of this school year. In the elementary school, there have been zero issues. In the middle school, there have been a few cases (maybe a 1/2 dozen between students/teachers) and they've reacted accordingly. I'm in one of the best school districts that was well set up for virtual learning and it's still a complete joke - my kids realize this as well and were happy to get back into the classroom with their friends. My kids are also doing sports indoors 4 days a week. The risk to them is virtually nonexistent and it's not a fair price for them to pay to give up a year of their childhood and endure the long-term consequences of reduced education, less socialization, less exercise and just melting their brains on screens all day. There's certainly a risk for me and my wife, but it's one we are willing to take.

I'm sorry that you've lost loved ones - I've lost a family member to COVID as have friends of mine. I don't think a complete lockdown is the right answer and unfortunately there is no "right answer" anyway. Everybody wants to minimize deaths, but there also has to be some balance with people's livelihoods and mental well being. We're not seeing much of a difference between areas of the country where there are the strictest versus more relaxed levels of lockdowns, so there certainly is some question of how effective they really are and how much more some people can actually endure. As much as I'd like to believe we'll be past this virus 3 months from now, I don't see that as being realistic either.

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
Got my second vaccine yesterday at 11am yesterday. Starting feeling sore at 9pm, woke up today at 7am with a 101.5 fever and feeling like a bus hit me. Better than the alternative though.

Which vaccine did you get? Feel better.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Got my second vaccine yesterday at 11am yesterday. Starting feeling sore at 9pm, woke up today at 7am with a 101.5 fever and feeling like a bus hit me. Better than the alternative though.
My gf and I got it yesterday. She feels like she has a bad flu, my arm is sore. Moderna as well.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Is the Covid vaccine like the flu shot, where they tell you not to get it if you're not feeling well?

I get the flu shot yearly with no issue, and had a little cold when I got it this year but was like, "How bad could it really be?", and it turns out, Really Bad!

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
That's just sad that you school district is just NOW reopening schools in a week, especially with the spread in schools being so low.

I'm very fortunate that my kid's schools have been open for in-person learning for most of this school year. In the elementary school, there have been zero issues. In the middle school, there have been a few cases (maybe a 1/2 dozen between students/teachers) and they've reacted accordingly. I'm in one of the best school districts that was well set up for virtual learning and it's still a complete joke - my kids realize this as well and were happy to get back into the classroom with their friends. My kids are also doing sports indoors 4 days a week. The risk to them is virtually nonexistent and it's not a fair price for them to pay to give up a year of their childhood and endure the long-term consequences of reduced education, less socialization, less exercise and just melting their brains on screens all day. There's certainly a risk for me and my wife, but it's one we are willing to take.

I'm sorry that you've lost loved ones - I've lost a family member to COVID as have friends of mine. I don't think a complete lockdown is the right answer and unfortunately there is no "right answer" anyway. Everybody wants to minimize deaths, but there also has to be some balance with people's livelihoods and mental well being. We're not seeing much of a difference between areas of the country where there are the strictest versus more relaxed levels of lockdowns, so there certainly is some question of how effective they really are and how much more some people can actually endure. As much as I'd like to believe we'll be past this virus 3 months from now, I don't see that as being realistic either.

My wife losing her brother and Dad made it a non-starter as far as school was concerned. When my son's school went back to hybrid learning in December, we kept him home. I'm of two minds because I originally thought this matched the political pattern of scare tactics, that the increased mortality wasn't that much worse than the flu, you take risks everyday, masks don't keep viruses out - yaddayadda. And to some degree, most of the above is true. I've had to change my tune because this is what my family needs to do - and we need to take this thing seriously - and there's definitely a sense of 'time wasted' if we all just give in to the fatigue and jump back in the waters. If someone else in my immediate family caught this thing, whether or not it was asymptomatic, it'd pretty much kill my wife - so we've got to do what we've got to do. But I understand that folks have real monetary and life pressures - and are losing their businesses, so I think for me - I have no idea what role the government should play, or be pushing - but just be consistent and don't change your mind midstream in the face of evidence against re-opening.

Reactions: HBK27

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Is the Covid vaccine like the flu shot, where they tell you not to get it if you're not feeling well?

I get the flu shot yearly with no issue, and had a little cold when I got it this year but was like, "How bad could it really be?", and it turns out, Really Bad!
I’ve heard anyone that has had Covid should wait to get the vaccine as it could cause the type of adverse reactions described above.

EDIT for citation: CDC: Wait 90 days after COVID infection to get vaccine | abc10.com

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
My wife losing her brother and Dad made it a non-starter as far as school was concerned. When my son's school went back to hybrid learning in December, we kept him home. I'm of two minds because I originally thought this matched the political pattern of scare tactics, that the increased mortality wasn't that much worse than the flu, you take risks everyday, masks don't keep viruses out - yaddayadda. And to some degree, most of the above is true. I've had to change my tune because this is what my family needs to do - and we need to take this thing seriously - and there's definitely a sense of 'time wasted' if we all just give in to the fatigue and jump back in the waters. If someone else in my immediate family caught this thing, whether or not it was asymptomatic, it'd pretty much kill my wife - so we've got to do what we've got to do. But I understand that folks have real monetary and life pressures - and are losing their businesses, so I think for me - I have no idea what role the government should play, or be pushing - but just be consistent and don't change your mind midstream in the face of evidence against re-opening.

Even though schools have been re-opened in my town since early/mid September, there are certainly some that have kept their kids at home for virtual learning given their concerns or perhaps for situations like yours where it sounds like you don't really have much of a choice given your wife's situation. My wife and I certainly have concerns about getting it and have altered our behavior (like most other people) quite significantly to try to reduce that risk, but overall we're making choices that we think are best for our family. Conversely, my brother who lives nearby and is higher risk barely leaves his house, which I get as well.

It just sucks all around that this virus became politicized (on both sides) much like just about everything else today. It's hard to know what to believe about it - you mention that there's evidence against re-opening (which is a very vague term, as there are many degrees of reopening and different stages nationwide), whereas I've seen things that support it (essentially saying that a lot of the severe lockdowns are not really accomplishing anything). I'm not saying that you're wrong - just that I honestly don't know. Media coverage has gotten much more political/biased as well, so who knows who to really trust anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad