OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I mean, we're like 90 days from a lifesaving vaccines being available to everyone. Drifting around the ocean on a life raft for weeks and then as the Coast Guard Cutter approaches you're just like "f*** it man, it's hopeless" and just dive over the side to get eaten by the sharks

90 days later, lifesaving vaccines are available to everyone over the age of 12, still millions of shots per day. Cases, hospitalizations, deaths, pretty much every metric is in major decline. Daily cases and hospitalizations are among the lowest levels recorded since the pandemic began and there's every reason to believe they will continue to decline.

Folks, the vaccines worked. We're on the 5 yard line with this thing.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I hope I get to keep working from home. I moved into an apartment that was only in my budget thanks to the pandemic rental market decline and now have my own office. This is awesome.

When someone walks by my monitor in the office I have to multitask away from the browser window with HF. I might have to cut down on posting from ten hours a day to nine and a half. f*** that.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Bookmarked a year ago because I knew it wouldn’t age well, and it did not. Shame, so many people could have prevented so many more deaths if it was taken seriously.

D54A6EA1-07FC-476F-B0CB-1B23877C9ACD.jpeg

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
90 days later, lifesaving vaccines are available to everyone over the age of 12, still millions of shots per day. Cases, hospitalizations, deaths, pretty much every metric is in major decline. Daily cases and hospitalizations are among the lowest levels recorded since the pandemic began and there's every reason to believe they will continue to decline.

Folks, the vaccines worked. We're on the 5 yard line with this thing.

And which team would we be because if it's the Jets, we are so f***ed :P

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Devils need to step up and do the right thing and show they care more about their fans than money. I've already emailed my rep about it and I'll be calling them this week...

I would think a majority of the teams will follow suit or a league wide mandate will occur. I’m fully vaxed myself and I think I’m going to have a hard time going to sporting events.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
Devils need to step up and do the right thing and show they care more about their fans than money. I've already emailed my rep about it and I'll be calling them this week...

The only way to win is to take your money and use it elsewhere or keep it for yourself. Money is all that counts to them at this point. Looks like I'll be doing my part by not going which makes me sad but it is what it is.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Personal opinion is I think the team wants to get the tickets on sale first before announcing anything.

That or god help us all if in their survey feedback a lot of the other STH’s frowned on any potential vaccination mandate or even just a mask mandate for the non vaxxed people. Our freaking goal song was a multi year war that nobody won so I wouldn’t exactly put it past our fans to be…anti-authority on this too.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The only way to win is the take your money and use it elsewhere or keep it for yourself. Money is all that counts to them at this point. Looks like I'll be doing my part by not going which makes me sad but it is what it is.

I'm hoping not to cross that bridge but if this is the route they go I know I won't be the only one looking to not go this season.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
That or god help us all if in their survey feedback a lot of the other STH’s frowned on any potential vaccination mandate or even just a mask mandate for the non vaxxed people. Our freaking goal song was a multi year war that nobody won so I wouldn’t exactly put it past our fans to be…anti-authority on this too.

Call your rep and email them and let them know what you think. I've already emailed, several season ticket holders who sit around me are all on the same page with this and have contacted them as well. They just need to hear it from actual season ticket holders first. I'm waiting on them to call me back cause I left a voice mail with my rep. It seems like every day another sports team is announcing the requirements so I think it's gonna be mostly everywhere eventually anyway.

Not trying to get too political here but I think Murphy has been a bit more lax cause of the upcoming election. Once he most likely wins again I think he will do exactly what NY is doing. So this can all change in November anyway.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I'm just a little confused about some of the logic here.

If a person is vaxed, why would he/she worry about someone else not being vaxed? I mean, if the vaccine works well, he/she won't catch it, right? And if it doesn't work well, he/she would be in danger of catching it from someone else who *IS* vaxed.

In my mind, at least, there's some kind of disconnect.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

If a person is vaxed, why would he/she worry about someone else not being vaxed? I mean, if the vaccine works well, he/she won't catch it, right? And if it doesn't work well, he/she would be in danger of catching it from someone else who *IS* vaxed.

We need to stomp this shit out and be done with it. Personally I no longer have any patience for people who can actually get the vaccine and are refusing to do so. If someone doesn't wanna do what's right for the better of our community then stay home and watch it on TV instead.

That's my two cents.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think it's a relative risk issue. If I sit next to someone who was fully vaccinated there is less risk than sitting next to someone not vaccinated. How much more or less I'm not sure.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The vaccine is not 100% protection. It provides far more protection than not having it, and also more protection from the more serious symptoms if you do get it but again it’s not 100% and even if you get it and have no symptoms you can still spread it. If it keeps spreading eventually it could mutate into something more dangerous that can evade the vaccines so it definitely matters.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The vaccine is not 100% protection. It provides far more protection than not having it, and also more protection from the more serious symptoms if you do get it but again it’s not 100% and even if you get it and have no symptoms you can still spread it. If it keeps spreading eventually it could mutate into something more dangerous that can evade the vaccines so it definitely matters.

A secondary (or maybe primary) concern is that the hospitals are becoming overwhelmed with non vaccinated Covid cases. My neurosurgeon friend just said that they've stopped all surgeries on non life-threatening cases because of insufficient space. In some southern states' cities they've actually stopped responding to 911 calls because there is no room in the ER.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The government should say, "Listen, if you get the vaccine, you'll get the day off paid to get the shot, then two paid days off afterwards to recover. And you won't get fired."

So many people are afraid to get the shot because they're afraid of having to miss work afterwards. I work somewhere with those options and coworkers were still nervous about missing work.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Another issue I have with this is that this season Prudential is also going to attract more Rangers and Islanders fans who refuse to get vaccinated since those people can't go to games at MSG or Belmont now because it's required there. I absolutely won't be going to those home games if this is the policy they stick with.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The government should say, "Listen, if you get the vaccine, you'll get the day off paid to get the shot, then two paid days off afterwards to recover. And you won't get fired."

So many people are afraid to get the shot because they're afraid of having to miss work afterwards. I work somewhere with those options and coworkers were still nervous about missing work.

weren't they offering some kind of financial incentive to get the shot at one point? i know here, if you got the shot you could enter to win $100.

it's absolutely pathetic that something like getting a vaccine needs to be incentivized, but here we are.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Talked to them over the phone today, definitely seems like they are getting a lot of calls about this situation today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad