OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
As they should. I know a few other people who attend games and said they wouldn't go with their current policy. Glad I gave up my season tickets to not have to deal with this.

I don't blame ya, I definitely think it's going to get reversed one way or the other, either by them or NJ. Tell those people to call the Devils. I know social media is filled with the vocal minority bitching and moaning that they won't go if these policies are in place but I really do think they are the minority.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Talked to them over the phone today, definitely seems like they are getting a lot of calls about this situation today.

I would think so with single seats going on sale. Not exactly the best policy to hold off on any policy until after trying to sell extra tickets, you only cause yourselves more of a headache.

I don't blame ya, I definitely think it's going to get reversed one way or the other, either by them or NJ. Tell those people to call the Devils. I know social media is filled with the vocal minority bitching and moaning that they won't go if these policies are in place but I really do think they are the minority.

In NJ in general and society at large they’re the vocal, performative minority. With our ticket buying fan base (specifically STH’s) I’m not so sure.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I would think so with single seats going on sale. Not exactly the best policy to hold off on any policy until after trying to sell extra tickets, you only cause yourselves more of a headache.

I think they don't want to be the "bad guy" unless absolutely necessary and are hoping NJ just mandates it so they can just say they are following state mandates and point the finger at NJ instead. I don't agree with it but that's just how it came across to me.

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
In NJ in general and society at large they’re the minority. With our ticket buying fan base I’m not so sure.

I think the vocal minority fans being are the same ones on Facebook who want your tickets for free or 10% of face value and act like your ripping them off even if you ask for 50% of face value lol its why I don't even sell tickets on there anymore when I can't go.

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
I think the vocal minority fans being are the same ones on Facebook who want your tickets for free or 10% of face value and act like your ripping them off even if you ask for 50% of face value lol its why I don't even sell tickets on there anymore when I can't go.

After 9 years of having season tickets, if they ever do the right thing, I can now become one of those begging for cheapies lol.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I think they don't want to be the "bad guy" unless absolutely necessary and are hoping NJ just mandates it so they can just say they are following state mandates and point the finger at NJ instead. I don't agree with it but that's just how it came across to me.
Someone on Reddit said a ticket rep straight up said they’re going with state guidance on this one. Keep calling them and Murphy’s office every day.

If LSU can mandate vaccines so can the Devils.

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
Someone on Reddit said a ticket rep straight up said they’re going with state guidance on this one. Keep calling them and Murphy’s office every day.

If LSU can mandate vaccines so can the Devils.

LSU also vaccinated Mike the Tiger to try to encourage residents to get vaccinated. Can anyone confirm if NJ Devil is vaccinated? or are the Devils again behind the curve?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I am vaccinated, but I personally could give a s**t less what mandates they implement for the games. And the reason I don't care, is because of the first three words of this post. Why do I care if Jo Shmo sitting next to me is vaccinated or not? I'm vaccinated and I am protected, I don't really care if Jo Shmo is protected or not.

Reactions: Nubmer6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I am vaccinated, but I personally could give a s**t less what mandates they implement for the games. And the reason I don't care, is because of the first three words of this post. Why do I care if Jo Shmo sitting next to me is vaccinated or not? I'm vaccinated and I am protected, I don't really care if Jo Shmo is protected or not.

The vaccine is not a guarantee of safety and it's not a guarantee that a breakthrough case will be minimal. Are you light years ahead of the unvaccinated? The responsible scientific reporting suggests you are but for a few folks it will still not be enough. As someone over 50 who is prone to inflammation I'd much rather sit next to another vaccinated individual over an unvaccinated one. What the specific relative risk is I have not looked up.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The vaccine is not a guarantee of safety and it's not a guarantee that a breakthrough case will be minimal. Are you light years ahead of the unvaccinated? The responsible scientific reporting suggests you are but for a few folks it will still not be enough. As someone over 50 who is prone to inflammation I'd much rather sit next to another vaccinated individual over an unvaccinated one. What the specific relative risk is I have not looked up.

That may be true, but if you look at the statistics and the numbers from the CDC, the mathematical odds of something serious actually happening to you as a vaccinated individual are so low, it is probably less than your chances of something bad happening to you on your car ride to the game. Are the dangers of car accidents going to stop you from driving to the game? I don't know man. I'm vaccinated so honestly I could care less either way, but I do have a few friends that are not vaccinated and I totally respect their decisions whether I agree with their reasoning or not. And I believe they deserve to be allowed to enjoy life, and Devils hockey, just as anybody else.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
That may be true, but if you look at the statistics and the numbers from the CDC, the mathematical odds of something serious actually happening to you as a vaccinated individual are so low, it is probably less than your chances of something bad happening to you on your car ride to the game. Are the dangers of car accidents going to stop you from driving to the game? I don't know man. I'm vaccinated so honestly I could care less either way, but I do have a few friends that are not vaccinated and I totally respect their decisions whether I agree with their reasoning or not. And I believe they deserve to be allowed to enjoy life, and Devils hockey, just as anybody else.

Sure, but are those at increased risk of getting sick from someone else allowed to enjoy life or is there a standard below which you have to accept being exposed to other people's potentially dangerous germs? Just know that not everyone who is vaccinated will be fully protected. For you, I get it. I'm much more relaxed about it since I've been vaccinated but I do know of some vaccinated folks that are in the ICU. It's not just freedom to associate it's also freedom from association. How germs play into that I will leave to constitutional lawyers who specialize in that sort of thing.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Sure, but are those at increased risk of getting sick from someone else allowed to enjoy life or is there a standard below which you have to accept being exposed to other people's potentially dangerous germs? Just know that not everyone who is vaccinated will be fully protected. For you, I get it. I'm much more relaxed about it since I've been vaccinated but I do know of some vaccinated folks that are in the ICU. It's not just freedom to associate it's also freedom from association. How germs play into that I will leave to constitutional lawyers who specialize in that sort of thing.

Good points. I also am much more relaxed ever since I got vaccinated, and as a result of that I really could care less what others do. I'm in the "do what you believe is best for yourself and stop forcing others" camp.

The bolded is actually one of the reasons why one of my friends says he doesn't want to get the vaccine yet. He and his wife both had Covid at the same time probably about 6 months ago, neither are vaccinated, and they both only lost their sense of smell and taste. He experienced no other symptoms and claimed to feel completely fine, and his wife said she felt slightly sick for about a day or two, but nothing that would normally stop her from doing her every day schedule. About 3ish months later, their friend who was vaccinated, contracted Covid and ended up in the hospital as well. Thankfully he was able to recover, but he was pretty sick for over a week. It's one of the things that's making them hesitant.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yeah you’ve got markets where guys seemingly won’t even be able to play home games without it

At some point a religious exemption might have to give way to a public health issue. I’m not saying this is the test case but do you have the right to spray your germs at others because of a sincerely held religious belief? This is a new concept to some extent. Previously I would have suggested public transmission was a risk of leaving your house but states have seemingly changed that calculus.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
At some point a religious exemption might have to give way to a public health issue. I’m not saying this is the test case but do you have the right to spray your germs at others because of a sincerely held religious belief? This is a new concept to some extent. Previously I would have suggested public transmission was a risk of leaving your house but states have seemingly changed that calculus.

religious belief is such a stupid cop out. I would have more respect for a person to just say nope not taking the shot and quit. But yeah let’s go ahead and opt out of other vax while we are at it. Wasn’t there a big out break down in ocean with something. These athletes are millionaires with access to healthcare we can only wish for. People are being told to take the shot or lose their job but these guys are going to pull the “religious” card? Gtfo

just really remarkable time we are so smart that we don’t even trust our doctors.

My3Sons

Sponsor
religious belief is such a stupid cop out. I would have more respect for a person to just say nope not taking the shot and quit. But yeah let’s go ahead and opt out of other vax while we are at it. Wasn’t there a big out break down in ocean with something. These athletes are millionaires with access to healthcare we can only wish for. People are being told to take the shot or lose their job but these guys are going to pull the “religious” card? Gtfo

just really remarkable time we are so smart that we don’t even trust our doctors.

I think religious belief was directed to religions that shun all medical treatment? I am not making any value judgment. I am just sharing what I think the salient legal issue would be should it be challenged in court.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think religious belief was directed to religions that shun all medical treatment? I am not making any value judgment. I am just sharing what I think the salient legal issue would be should it be challenged in court.

yeah agree that’s what it’s for which is stupid on its own. So now the most non religious people to ever walk the earth are going to try and use the * to avoid a shot.

religion social media and two political party system and cable news ruined this country forever

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How many players in the NBA shun all medical care? (I don’t actually want to go down this rabbit hole and it could go off the rails quickly but let’s say I’m skeptical that this there’s actual grounds for a religious exemption. But again, I don’t really want to know the details of the dumb reasoning behind this.)

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

If the vaccine were a slam dunk, I'd understand this better.

But we now know that vaccinated people can catch COVID, can spread COVID... and, according to Dr. Walensky in her 8/19 CDC address, the "protection against serious infection, hospitalization, and death could decrease in the months ahead for those vaccinated early." She pointed to Israel and the rampant hospitalizations occurring in a population where nearly everyone is double-vaxxed, and some have even had a booster.

I'm just concerned that this requirement (across the spectrum, not just sports leagues) is devolving into "corporate speak" / "political statement" territory. And we all know how muddy the waters get when that becomes the target, instead of public health.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
lol religious exemption. i think i'll tell the guy at the concessions stand that my religion prohibits me from paying for nachos, let's see how that goes.

Reactions: Darkauron

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Something tells me it may be a lot easier for a multimillion dollar athlete to get a religious or medical exemption than your average Joe. Also, I wonder how many of these athletes will have fake cards? Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad