OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Would they have died of the disease if they didn't have Covid?
That's my question. If they come in because they're having a heart attack and ultimately pass bc of that, but they test positive, are they being listed as a Covid death when in reality it was due to the heart attack?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Not really, it happens with AIDS too. People don't actually die from AIDS per se, they died cause AIDS weakened their immune system to the point where otherwise non-fatal illnesses will kill them. COVID could well be having a similar effect.
This is true but the "could" aspect of it is intriguing to me. If it does have that type of effect, then sure, list them as Covid deaths. However, if the virus isn't doing that, are they still being listed as Covid deaths? Who knows? It's been a long few weeks and I'm losing my mind.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
This is true but the "could" aspect of it is intriguing to me. If it does have that type of effect, then sure, list them as Covid deaths. However, if the virus isn't doing that, are they still being listed as Covid deaths? Who knows? It's been a long few weeks and I'm losing my mind.

I think it'll ultimately depend on a lot of factors, like @NJDevs26 said.

If someone comes in with a bullet hole in their head, but they also have Covid, they likely won't be counted among the Covid deaths.

But things like pneumonia (Especially pneumonia) and such become much more fatal with Covid.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
They are counting you as a covid death if you had it in your system at time of death or leading up to death. So, on your death bed for months due to cancer but got covid before death? It counts. Source: Most published news articles, wife is a PA, and 2 doctor friends in NYC

Obviously, extremes like shootings or car accidents wouldn't be included in the numbers though.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Here's the CDC's guidelines on reporting: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

"Conclusion

An accurate count of the number of deaths due to COVID–19 infection, which depends in part on proper death certification, is critical to ongoing public health surveillance and response. When a death is due to COVID–19, it is likely the UCOD and thus, it should be reported on the lowest line used in Part I of the death certificate. Ideally, testing for COVID–19 should be conducted, but it is acceptable to report COVID–19 on a death certificate without this confirmation if the circumstances are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty."

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
on a less serious note, do you think more people are losing or gaining weight from being home?

So far I've been neutral on that count amazingly enough. I did think I would wind up gaining more weight not being able to exercise as much but I've also been portioning my food a little better than normal to compensate (some out of neccesity cause you can't go out as much to the food stores).

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
on a less serious note, do you think more people are losing or gaining weight from being home?

I would think more are gaining than losing.

Personally, I’ve kept up with my 1-1.5 pound loss each week but I find I’m less active by nature and more prone to check out the fridge so I have to spend more mental capital to stay good.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I've gained. Too much snacking that I wouldn't be able to do at work plus less movement since I'm not at work. Sucks.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I can confirm

i second that…in addition to enjoying wine and spirits i switched solely to beer in cans as i dont want cases of bottles sitting around until its a more proper time to return them…..so i built a can crusher out of shit i had around the house……so far i know that 144 cans can be crushed to fit into a 6 gal.* pail with room to spare

*not the standard 5 gal. pail….this one is a few inches taller.

built off this design with 7/16" steel rod instead of the weak ass 1/4" threaded rod (all i had and not the 3/8" as in the details below) which bent to hell on the first crush…the modification worked like a charm…i can lean my whole weight into the thing now without problems…and i made the jaws of solid one piece hardwood not the two laminated like in the plans….ah the fun of drunk building

http://moodle.tfd215.org/pluginfile.php/18190/mod_resource/content/1/Can Crusher FINAL.pdf

but i digress, this is the covid thread not the tan or drunks thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Colin226

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I have definitely been drinking way too much lately but that's mostly because there is literally nothing to do. I could go on hikes because it is so nice here in Arizona but I have never been a fan of that. Adult leagues are shut down too so I have nothing to do other than fornicate and play video games :laugh

Reactions: Colin226

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Been somehow maintaining weight despite getting much more takeout now to support local restaurants. I'm wondering how much longer that can last, though. Guess I'll just have walk a few more miles in the stream :)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
What a f***ing joke. How much in federal funds is allocated to a jurisdiction for each COVID-19 death? Cha-ching!!!!!!
This is what I've been talking about. If this is a relatively common thing, they're basically inflating deaths by over 30% based off of "probables". That to me is such a horrendously bad way of doing this.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
This is what I've been talking about. If this is a relatively common thing, they're basically inflating deaths by over 30% based off of "probables". That to me is such a horrendously bad way of doing this.

"Three thousand more people died in New York City between March 11 and April 13 than would have been expected during the same time period in an ordinary year, Dr. Oxiris Barbot, the commissioner of the city Health Department, said in an interview. While these so-called excess deaths were not explicitly linked to the virus, they might not have happened had the outbreak not occurred, in part because it overwhelmed the normal health care system."

WTF? So which is it? This smells of a money grab, plain and simple.

Reactions: glenwo2

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
"Three thousand more people died in New York City between March 11 and April 13 than would have been expected during the same time period in an ordinary year, Dr. Oxiris Barbot, the commissioner of the city Health Department, said in an interview. While these so-called excess deaths were not explicitly linked to the virus, they might not have happened had the outbreak not occurred, in part because it overwhelmed the normal health care system."

WTF? So which is it? This smells of a money grab, plain and simple.
This entire thing has so many little stories within it that it's blowing my mind. You CANNOT attribute deaths to Covid when they're NOT Covid positive. That's complete and total horseshit.

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well many of the people who are being counted as positives without a positive test also had symptoms to where they should have been tested (and likely would have been positive) in an ideal world but again, there still aren't enough tests to go around. The number's never going to be completely accurate because of the lack of quick, mass testing anyway, so it's hardly worth getting indignant over them possibly goosing numbers up a little that were artificially low to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad