OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
That's my fault. When I said 'out of school' I just put it in quotes because everyone has technically been out of school. I don't think you said anything negative at all.
Yeah most people haven't been physically attending school for going a month now. I know my students stopped going on the 14th and we had the go in for prep on the 17th and 18th. Hopefully everyone can get through this without falling too far behind academically.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm having a tough time. My next door neighbors, an elderly couple in their late 70's both tested positive.
The husband is in the hospital on oxygen. It appears their Church has 20-something cases and two deaths. Many people I know. My mother in-law is living alone in Massachusetts and 75 years old...I am up all night hitting refresh to get her delivery slots from the grocery store and scheduling her medications to be delivered. My Dad who also lives alone won't stay in the house no matter what I say.

My wife's birthday was Sunday. We were supposed to be in Belize last week and Le Bernardin for her birthday dinner on Monday. All cancelled.. birthday pancakes with a candle...I tried.

Hang in there. You are doing the best you can. That’s all any of us can do.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Selfishly I'm annoyed we had to cancel our trip this Spring Break too. We planned this awhile ago and while it isn't extravagant it's the one trip we were doing this year forgoing others in favor of doing some home renovations. Also my 35 birthday is in a few weeks which looks like it'll be a wash which stinks because I know my wife was planning something pretty significant. Alas it pales in comparison to the sickness, death, unemployment, etc but still, f*** Covid-19.

My wife and I haven’t taken a vacation (actually leaving the house) in 5 years due to having our son and daughter and being busy with work. We had a week long vacation planned to bring the kids to Disney and just get away from everything and it happened to be on my birthday week that’s coming in a week. As disappointed as I am, that lasted only a split second because of how paranoid I am of being out in the Publix 5-6 days a week and potentially brining this crap home to my family.

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
My wife and I haven’t taken a vacation (actually leaving the house) in 5 years due to having our son and daughter and being busy with work. We had a week long vacation planned to bring the kids to Disney and just get away from everything and it happened to be on my birthday week that’s coming in a week. As disappointed as I am, that lasted only a split second because of how paranoid I am of being out in the Publix 5-6 days a week and potentially brining this crap home to my family.

if it makes you feel better disney isn't a vacation. you'll come back more tired then before you went lol. we had a blast with our kids a few years ago there but it was not relaxing and at times extremely hectic. For us we only braved Magic Kingdom too. didn't attempt anything else.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
if it makes you feel better disney isn't a vacation. you'll come back more tired then before you went lol. we had a blast with our kids a few years ago there but it was not relaxing and at times extremely hectic. For us we only braved Magic Kingdom too. didn't attempt anything else.

You know, I almost added something similar because we have done day trips to Disney (we live in Florida) but this trip was really for my wife and to keep her sane/happy :laugh:. I was well prepared for the last 2-3 days we were back to be the recovery part of my time off. Now, I will finally social distance myself from people for 9 days and get some chores done around the house.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah that island has a long and storied history as being everything from a missile storage area to, now, a potter's field. It's just still heartbreaking to see.

Here's a good thread on it:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Whether or not that island has been used as a mass grave site before doesn't take away from how awful it is that we are currently using it as a mass grave site because of this virus.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The context for that is that usually people have 30 days to claim them before they’re sent to the island. Because of the overwhelming amount of death occurring, they had to lower that timeframe to 14 days.

It’s an incredibly sad scenario.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Realistically, outside of the cover page and the celebrity gossip (if that’s you’re thing), the NY Post is a total rag. But their cover pages man, wow.

I remember a few World Cups ago, they had a picture of a US soccer player laying face down on the pitch after the US got eliminated and they headlined it:

THIS SPORT IS STUPID ANYWAY

Reactions: glenwo2

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Mass graves is the usual for NYC?

Why are people continuing to downplay this?

On that island? Yes, they use mass graves to bury the people with no families to claim them.

I didn’t know anything about the island until now so I was surprised to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad