COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's not a simple binary choice like that.

Actually, if you want to avoid COVID completely, it is. The only way to avoid it is to shut everything down until there's a vaccine.

Now, if you can name a place that (a) did not have a true, full first wave (e.g., the northeast states) and (b) did not start getting hit when they started reopening, then I'm all ears.

Short of that, if you're unwilling to shut down and to stay shut down, then you're going to get hit.

The question from a public policy perspective is how best to mitigate/balance the cumulative impact, considering who's most susceptible, the health implications of unemployment, non-health considerations, etc.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Actually, if you want to avoid COVID completely, it is. The only way to avoid it is to shut everything down until there's a vaccine.

Now, if you can name a place that (a) did not have a true, full first wave (e.g., the northeast states) and (b) did not start getting hit when they started reopening, then I'm all ears.

Short of that, if you're unwilling to shut down and to stay shut down, then you're going to get hit.

The question from a public policy perspective is how best to mitigate/balance the cumulative impact, considering who's most susceptible, the health implications of unemployment, non-health considerations, etc.
I don't think this is what you're implying, but completely avoiding it was never the goal. It was always to shut down, make sure spread is contained until hospitals were prepared and we knew what we were dealing with, and then try to flatten the curve as much as possible. Flatten the curve implies that there is still a curve.

The vitamin D study is interesting. It's done about as well as can be done at that early stage. Doesn't necessarily prove that Vitamin D helps, but is definitely suggestive and as long as you don't OD on the D it's a pretty low risk thing to take. The chocolate ones aren't terrible tasting either.

Reactions: KIRK

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Thinking I might get a flu shot this year and make my 65 y/o mom get her first as well. Seem like a good idea? Can’t find it but there was some noise that the early parts of the first wave may have been exacerbated by dual (concomitant?) flu/C19 infections.

I don’t recall ever having the flu before, at least not symptomatic. Had a weirdly severe cold last year but it didn’t seem like flu since it came on very slowly.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Melbourne 6 weeks ago was at almost 800 cases a day and they went into some pretty heavy restrictions (curfews, only allowed 5km from your home-besides work/medical, no visiting anyone-except partners, can go to the store once a day and can exercise outside for1 hour by yourself)

Yesterday they had 15 cases and the restrictions have eased a little which will allow a majority of kids back in school and 130,000 workers can go back to work.

They predict in 3 weeks they can get down to about 5 cases a day and really open up a majority of things and by Christmas be at a COVID “normal” (everything open but people need to follow health guidelines still).

Really good news for my friends and family. It’s been a really tough 6 weeks for everyone mentally.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Thinking I might get a flu shot this year and make my 65 y/o mom get her first as well. Seem like a good idea? Can’t find it but there was some noise that the early parts of the first wave may have been exacerbated by dual (concomitant?) flu/C19 infections.

I don’t recall ever having the flu before, at least not symptomatic. Had a weirdly severe cold last year but it didn’t seem like flu since it came on very slowly.

I got mine two days ago. At Giant Eagle they pay you to get a shot. $5 grocery credit.

Reactions: billybudd

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
So, there's been ~1500 new cases between Ontario and Quebec over the past 24 hours. That's a crazy amount of cases for Canada. I think it's only a matter of time before it hits the East Coast, again...

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So, there's been ~1500 new cases between Ontario and Quebec over the past 24 hours. That's a crazy amount of cases for Canada. I think it's only a matter of time before it hits the East Coast, again...

NY was up over 1000 new cases the other day for the first time since may/june

Reactions: BHD

Sideline

May 23, 2004

I'm really hoping the travel restrictions keep us safe. We can't have community spread if we keep the sick people out of our community.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Just got my squat back to 365 lbs. If they close the gyms today in QC someone is getting slapped :laugh:

Waiting for the 5:30 PM announcement...

giphy.gif

What do you rep?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm really hoping the travel restrictions keep us safe. We can't have community spread if we keep the sick people out of our community.

New Brunswick was considering opening up to Quebec (for the sake of the communities connected to the province), but Higgs decided against it. Part of why the Maritimes has fared well (relatively speaking) is because it’s isolated.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
New Brunswick was considering opening up to Quebec (for the sake of the communities connected to the province), but Higgs decided against it. Part of why the Maritimes has fared well (relatively speaking) is because it’s isolated.

Exactly. I'm all for keeping the Atlantic bubble locked up tight for the next year if need be. That gives us the ability to live with many fewer restrictions within the bubble.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Lockdown returns to Montreal but schools can stay open. This latest shitshow started at the same time schools reopened. This is never going to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad