OT: COVID 19 - Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The ignore thread function is a great tool and I’ve done that many a time in the COVID threads earlier in the piece. Even just for thread topics I’m not interested in just to clean up my screen a bit.

The Covid thread is a lot milder now. I still have some big disagreements with partial posts of some posters even some I really like. But it is a message board so I don’t attack and try to just present my views reasonably (sometimes with some jokes thrown in).

Im definitely on the pro lockdown side but their is a spectrum to lockdown vs stay open. That’s why politician talk is so polarizing. The far left or far right views tend to take over the discussion.

I just want to touch on 3 things.

1) Ignore function is soooo under utilized! You can use it for users, threads, etc. Great shout and a great reminder.

2) The COVID thread is massively more mild now. Completely agree and it's because of #3

3) You and I are on completely different ends when it comes to lockdown but we can have a civil and friendly conversation. Because in reality... I don't know what is perfect. It is only going to be something we look back in 5-10 years and say "Shit... x worked and y didn't." But it can't go without being said that so many people here are on complete different sides but that commitment to being respectful really speaks volume to why I have close to 100k posts here. I absolutely enjoy and respect so many users here no matter if we disagree or agree.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There's just no way to make that statement. Infection precedes hospitalization by ~2 weeks, deaths trail hospitalization by ~2 weeks. So, in order to do that you'd have to vaccinate enough individuals by xmas. You're going to see SOME vaccinations by then, but the # is going to start with a trickle. And it's not just dependent on manufacturing. Distribution issues exist, and selection of the first recipients. Local hospital still not counting on any doses this calendar year, and they're capable of on site storage now which most facilities aren't. There is a severe lack of logistics/planning between the manufacturing and point of care delivery.

All the timelines I've seen suggest end of Q2 2021 is when you'll start to see general population benefits.

I completely agree, there is zero way to know any of this for sure. I don't have a crystal ball. I am making an educated guess.

But how it actually plays out is what matters.

If the vaccine is delayed, and the situation on the ground is as bad as now, or God forbid worse, I would be first in line saying that shutting down for a period has to be considered.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

1) Ignore function is soooo under utilized! You can use it for users, threads, etc. Great shout and a great reminder.

2) The COVID thread is massively more mild now. Completely agree and it's because of #3

3) You and I are on completely different ends when it comes to lockdown but we can have a civil and friendly conversation. Because in reality... I don't know what is perfect. It is only going to be something we look back in 5-10 years and say "Shit... x worked and y didn't." But it can't go without being said that so many people here are on complete different sides but that commitment to being respectful really speaks volume to why I have close to 100k posts here. I absolutely enjoy and respect so many users here no matter if we disagree or agree.

c503e70cb567301a18e5e0f35827ed88.jpg

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I would have to see actual examples to comment or make an opinion. I don't think that who says something matters.

I think that a good test is to limit yourself to actions, or potential actions.

Ask yourself if you remove who did something, or proposed something, can you have a debate over that action and keep whoever proposed it completely out.

It is a technique that therapists use with couples. Never say 'she is driving us into bankruptcy buying silly stuff like shoes" Say, "we have some budget issues, can we work together to see where we can save?"
I don't know why you're telling me this, I'm perfectly capable of having a debate over actions and ignoring who proposed that. I do that frequently in this thread.

To clarify, I agree that we should be able to argue topics without regard to the purpose proposing them. I agree with what you're saying on this particular issue.

However the standard on this board has been posts by political leaders with commentary on the issue, even if it's not directed at who proposes it, has been often times off limits resulting in warnings and deleted posts. I guess it's too much to ask for consistency and for everyone to be held to the same standard. I know you're not in charge of these decisions so I sort of regret getting into a big back and forth with you, but you should understand that myself and others are going to see your post as a double standard in this thread.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't know why you're telling me this, I'm perfectly capable of having a debate over actions and ignoring who proposed that. I do that frequently in this thread.

To clarify, I agree that we should be able to argue topics without regard to the purpose proposing them. I agree with what you're saying on this particular issue.

However the standard on this board has been posts by political leaders with commentary on the issue, even if it's not directed at who proposes it, has been often times off limits resulting in warnings and deleted posts. I guess it's too much to ask for consistency and for everyone to be held to the same standard. I know you're not in charge of these decisions so I sort of regret getting into a big back and forth with you, but you should understand that myself and others are going to see your post as a double standard in this thread.

That is more a private conversation with moderators. As I said, I am not even sure what posts you are referring to. Mostly I have tried to keep away from some of the bigger arguments here.

I mostly at least try to just find useful information that I think people would like to hear.

Admittedly, I have a somewhat rosy colored POV. I am that way generally to begin with. And in this pandemic the alternative is too depressing to think of. Still, I try to post any information that might be of interest.

Reactions: NMK11

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Great post. I’ll clarify one thing too. My opinions are based heavily on where I live (Vancouver) so that’s what I want to see here. I think it’s reasonable to achieve using Melbourne as an example and it’s a similar culture. Vancouver doesn’t even need to go to the extremes Melbourne did as it’s a smaller population, daily cases are still below Melbourne’s peak and thankfully our deaths are in smaller numbers.

Now while I’ve lived in PA for about 8 months it was a summer camp and no real reflection of society lol and I can understand that even though the US is a western country it would probably present more challenges. Firstly even though we all have questionable people it’s just that population wise the US will have more and that’s a problem even if the rates were the same, whole numbers of people not doing the right things is very problematic. There could be a lot of pushback which could lead to riots etc (I’d hope not). In terms of lockdown support the majority of $$$ assistance has to come from the Federal government and again population size just makes it harder logistically and I’m not sure if an outgoing President makes that even harder.

So I can respect your view based on the fact that we live in different areas. Now if you lived in Vancouver........... ;) :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want to be very clear for anyone questioning moving forward. If you get a thread ban from the COVID thread, you are removed from all threads. This was mentioned a billion times early on when the bickering was live. To this date we only have 2 individuals banned from all covid threads. This is not to single any individuals out. This is to explain the process that we've had from day 1. This was a sensitive thread during an election year. If you want to say bias, it is quite funny because 1 from "each side" equal the two. And since then, we've had some great conversations without stepping over that line.

This was non-negotiable from the beginning. We threw more warnings to the vets than I can even count. And the warning at the top of the screen is not my warning about political talk. That is an admin warning.

If you need to discuss this - please PM me. I will gladly discuss any questions you may have.

I'm going to quote this for the new page. If you want to private message me, please feel free. If anyone is in here to make this right vs. left - you will join the 2 who do not have access to this thread going forward.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I'm in a weird situation that i'm finacially better off now than before the lockdown. Been on unemployment since March when my job layed us off for Covid.

I have more money in my checking and savings, a new/used car. A new laptop, lots of new guns (in addition to old ones not panic bought) and all the time in the world to prepare physically for my new career venture in the USAF. However my mother lost her job at the Marriott in DC on Connecticut ave after working their 37 years and they might not ever re open.

Things are so topsy turvy man

Reactions: ColePens

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
CDC says screening air passengers for virus symptoms ineffective

The report stated that travelers would have better protection from the virus with "more efficient" contact tracing methods for travelers traveling internationally. It also suggested a system with real-time information that would be sent to United States health departments detailing arrival and pre-departure testing as well as passengers taking time to self-isolate.

And more bad news:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm in a weird situation that i'm finacially better off now than before the lockdown. Been on unemployment since March when my job layed us off for Covid.

I have more money in my checking and savings, a new/used car. A new laptop, lots of new guns (in addition to old ones not panic bought) and all the time in the world to prepare physically for my new career venture in the USAF. However my mother lost her job at the Marriott in DC on Connecticut ave after working their 37 years and they might not ever re open.

Things are so topsy turvy man

I was only laid off once and it was right out of college in 2008. The company closed up for good so they gave everyone severance, paid out their PTO, and then unemployment kicked in right away. It was the same as you - the money was way beyond anything I was making at that time. It was so weird. It didn't feel right.

But I learned quickly not doing anything is AWFUL. I hated it. I ended up with a job in 3.5 weeks and that 3.5 weeks felt like hell. Applying left/right and not knowing what the future holds. It was beyond miserable. And at that time - after gas to drive to work and what not, I was making the same I would have just stayed home. :laugh: There was no incentive, which is beyond stupid.

But I am so thankful I got right back in because it helped progress my career. And I really remember for 3.5 weeks. It felt horrible.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

While technological advances are generally positive for societies over the long term, Powell said, on a short-term basis they create disruption, and as the market adjusts to the new normal the pain isn't shared evenly.

For example, it's likely that lower-paid workers, as well as those in jobs requiring face-to-face interactions, such as retail or restaurant workers, will shoulder most of the burden of this shift. These groups, heavily skewed towards women and minorities, have already been among those most affected by pandemic layoffs, Powell said.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
30 out of 55 guest at a wedding got Covid that spread to an additional 147 cases and 7 people died

mm6945a5_WeddingMaineCOVID19_IMAGE_13Nov20_1200x675-medium.jpg

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Butler County’s positive test rate is 38%. Thanks Blumpf!

I don't know if this is a relevant stat because if it's anything like Allegheny testing, it's not worth getting tested unless you need to. Wait times are 1-3 hours at med express. CVS is booked out 2-5 days. Then you wait 2-5 more days for results.

So basically it's encouraging people to just say f*** it. I can share my examples from this week in the west hills area. I was thinking to myself "If i didn't have a father with lung cancer, I wouldn't even bother getting tested. This is ridiculous."

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
30 out of 55 guest at a wedding got Covid that spread to an additional 147 cases and 7 people died

This is the part that crushes me. Can we noooooooooot tie the knot another day!??!?! But i don't know. I legit just say "I don't know" and shake my head.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We were invited to a wedding Saturday.

People simply never learn.

But while you are strong enough to say no, it puts A LOT of people in a bad spot. A lot of people absolutely DESPISE confrontation. We joined a message board because we enjoy the banter. So many people shut down. And that's the problem.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
But while you are strong enough to say no, it puts A LOT of people in a bad spot. A lot of people absolutely DESPISE confrontation. We joined a message board because we enjoy the banter. So many people shut down. And that's the problem.

I wish that I could share your view of being merely spineless. However, if these past months have taught me anything it is that a large minority are aware, selfish and uncaring.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And a preview of the results.

In his first interview with a British newspaper, BioNTech’s chief executive, Uğur Şahin, told the Guardian he was optimistic. “If the question is whether we can stop this pandemic with this vaccine, then my answer is: yes, because I believe that even protection only from symptomatic infections will have a dramatic effect,” Şahin said in a Zoom call from his home in Mainz.

Until Monday’s trial results were revealed, the scientist said, he wasn’t sure whether his vaccine would trigger a strong enough reaction from the human immune system. “It was possible that the virus isn’t really targeted by the vaccine, finds its way into the cells and continues to make people ill. We now know that vaccines can beat this virus."

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I wish that I could share your view of being merely spineless. However, if these past months have taught me anything it is that a large minority are aware, selfish and uncaring.

A lot of people are susceptible to magical thinking. They genuinely don't think *they* will cause any harm with just one little event. They know everyone at that wedding. Their friends are responsible.

If you offered the same people a deal that said "To go to cousin Johnny's wedding you must flip this coin five times. If it's heads each time grandma gets run over by a bus, but if you get tails even once gradma lives." I bet they would do the responsibile thing. I honestly believe they just don't know how to think.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad