Couturier vs Marner

More value

• Total voters

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
i mean the age part should handicap the player who is 5 years older. but that part is conveniently ignored.

No it isn't, its just somewhat offset by the cap. If the contract is ignored HF takes the younger player the majority of the time, especially with such a significant age difference.

Marner is still handedly winning so not sure what the issue is here. You want the poll to be 100% to 0%?

Id argue you get a bigger advantage from the age, since the cap advantage is done after next year, but Marner is always 5 years younger. So maybe its more unfair to include the age.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
No it isn't, its just somewhat offset by the cap. If the contract is ignored HF takes the younger player the majority of the time, especially with such a significant age difference.

Marner is still handedly winning so not sure what the issue is here. You want the poll to be 100% to 0%?

Id argue you get a bigger advantage from the age, since the cap advantage is done after next year, but Marner is always 5 years younger. So maybe its more unfair to include the age.
i mean its his literal age... cant disregard facts.

im not saying everyone has to vote Marner but some posters' reasoning is out of whack. this site has too many cap obsessed posters.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I don't particularly think his contract is even that steep. If the guy can be a perennial top 5 point producer, paying him what he gets is more than fair value.
With Couturier you can add another 7M+ player to get to the same cap hit.
Can't see a problem picking either side.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Couturier will almost surely still be making less than Marner after next year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Couturier brings similar value 5v5. Marner is the better player due to PP, but there's not a massive difference between these two players. As such, Couturier is much more valuable on his current deal, and while it expires soon, I suspect his new deal will be below Marner to the point that he might be more valuable for a couple years into the new deal, since points tends to drive contract dollars more than anything. Overall, Marner's age and years under control make him more valuable on the market and long-term though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Couturier will almost surely still be making less than Marner after next year.

How much less? His peers (ie. Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, O'Reilly) range anywhere from Bergeron's low-end $6.875 million, O'Reilly's $7.5 million, Kopitar's $10 million, up to Toews' $10.5 million.

I'd be shocked if he got the low-end and high-end, so his next deal will probably fall somewhere between O'Reilly's $7.5 million and Kopitar's $10 million.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
How much less? His peers (ie. Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, O'Reilly) range anywhere from Bergeron's low-end $6.875 million, O'Reilly's $7.5 million, Kopitar's $10 million, up to Toews' $10.5 million.

I'd be shocked if he got the low-end and high-end, so his next deal will probably fall somewhere between O'Reilly's $7.5 million and Kopitar's $10 million.
I suspect it will be in the 8M range but we'll see, flat cap for a few years will most likely have an effect. Also, 3 of 4 of those players (and both of the high end of those salaries) are to players who won multiple cups before signing their extension, that makes a big difference.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
i mean its his literal age... cant disregard facts.

im not saying everyone has to vote Marner but some posters' reasoning is out of whack. this site has too many cap obsessed posters.

Whats wrong with the reasoning? They are looking at his cap hit and as you aptly put it...its his literal cap hit and you can't ignore facts.

Its less wack than saying "Marner makes more money because he is a better player". He makes more money because he was better at the time he signed his contract - no different than Mack or Draisaitl. Some players just out develop their contracts and then you have them on steals. Thats always the goal.

The cap has also grown 14% between when the two contracts were signed. I voted Marner from a fans perspective but if I was the Oilers in a real life scenario, im taking Coots. Dead against the cap, we would have to sell a lot to take on 11m.

People should be cap obsessed. The cap runs the league.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I suspect it will be in the 8M range but we'll see, flat cap for a few years will most likely have an effect. Also, 3 of 4 of those players (and both of the high end of those salaries) are to players who won multiple cups before signing their extension, that makes a big difference.

Yea I'm thinking 8-8.5ish as well. Depends on length a bit. I would take Couturier at that range over Marner at 10.9 at their current levels, but not over the contract lengths when Couts' will surely take him to at least his mid 30s and Marner's will be through the best years of his prime.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
75% of the time with these, “consider the cap hit” is just a handicap placed on the player who’s more talented and effective.
I put the cap hit to show that even for 6 mil more this is Marner

[MOD: Quoted post was deleted.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad