Couturier vs Marner

More value

• Total voters

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
When you consider cap, it's Couturier, but he signed his deal in 2015, a year before Marner even started his NHL career.

Marner younger and much better offensively, while Couturier is much better defensively, while playing the more valuable position.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Couturier closes the offensive gap with his defensive play and position

Edit: Cap too?! This isn’t close then. Couturier makes 4.3M compared to Marner making $10.9M

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
When you consider cap, it's Couturier, but he signed his deal in 2015, a year before Marner even started his NHL career.

Marner younger and much better offensively, while Couturier is much better defensively, while playing the more valuable position.

He's only signed for 1 more season beyond 2021, he's definitely getting a raise. I love Couts but I think Marner is the better player. Won't argue against anyone picking Couturier though, Elite 2 way C.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

Edit: Cap too?! This isn’t close then. Couturier makes 4.3M compared to Marner making $10.9M

With cap, easily Couturier

first off Couturier expires after next year, second of all, Marner makes more money because he is a better player.

funny how the OP says consider age, cap, and ability and everyone is fixated on solely the cap hit.

Marner is better and 5 years younger. to answer the OP i am taking him going forward and not thinking twice.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

RT strikes again with another very unbiased anti leaf take. In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue. He’s a leaf fan though folks. Believe that

Reactions: ER89

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
75% of the time with these, “consider the cap hit” is just a handicap placed on the player who’s more talented and effective.
Well the NHL does have a salary cap so it's not wrong to consider it's implications when looking at different players.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
first off Couturier expires after next year, second of all, Marner makes more money because he is a better player.

funny how the OP says consider age, cap, and ability and everyone is fixated on solely the cap hit.

Marner is better and 5 years younger. to answer the OP i am taking him going forward and not thinking twice.

The age thing surprised me. I didn't realize Couturier's already 28 years old (29 in December when the new season begins). I thought he was still like 26.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
The age thing surprised me. I didn't realize Couturier's already 28 years old (29 in December when the new season begins). I thought he was still like 26.
yeah, 28, and will be a UFA next year, at 30.

you could save money this year and next, then have to pay a 30 year old UFA while you could have a then 25 year old superstar winger.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Marner.

Couts only has 1 year left on his deal so the cap isn't as big of a deal as some think.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not a Leafs fan and voted Marner.

His contract is a little steep but he's younger, and already better.

I don't particularly think his contract is even that steep. If the guy can be a perennial top 5 point producer, paying him what he gets is more than fair value.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Given the difference in age, I would definitely take Marner going forward. But, right now, I'd rather have Couts going into the playoffs.

Reactions: Sasso09

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
I don't particularly think his contract is even that steep. If the guy can be a perennial top 5 point producer, paying him what he gets is more than fair value.

Yeah I agree. I should have probably clarified that he's worth every penny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad