Couturier or RNH?

Bicepus McMaximus

Sep 14, 2009
I don't know why Couturier is getting such bad reviews for this WJC performance. He's made a lot of great passes from the boards and dominates puck possession as well as anyone in the tournament.

I think he's not getting the normal 1st overall reviews because he's not flashy. But he's exactly what any NHL team needs, a guy who can battle and control puck possession.

He hasn't been spectacular in the tournament because he's playing on the third line, with two guys who were drafted in 2009 (Schenn) and 2010 (Johansen) ahead of him.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
I think he's not getting the normal 1st overall reviews because he's not flashy. But he's exactly what any NHL team needs, a guy who can battle and control puck possession.

He hasn't been spectacular in the tournament because he's playing on the third line, with two guys who were drafted in 2009 (Schenn) and 2010 (Johansen) ahead of him.

This in ref to Couturier. It's not as if he's seeing first line mintues as well as first unit power play time, to me (I've only seen him play in the tournament) he shows crazy hands for an already big kid, the foot speed isn't impressive but it's not as if he'll be an underdog in the pros without having east west movement, with his tools and size a north south type of skater style will be just fine.

With that being said I give the speed, vision, and playmaking to RNH (as a slight edge), either way two hockey GM's are going to be giddy going into this summer

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
I don't know why Couturier is getting such bad reviews for this WJC performance. He's made a lot of great passes from the boards and dominates puck possession as well as anyone in the tournament.

This and this. Couturier is the real deal.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Couturier has actually really impressed me this tournament with his defensive play. It is on a much higher level than I had thought. He has also shown that he can dominate the puck almost anywhere on the ice against high level competition. His positioning is close to if not the best I have seen in the tournament and he reads plays better than anyone on Canada at this tourney. He has really created some great scoring chances for himself as well as his linemates. The only thing I can think to knock him on is he hasn't finished all the great chances he has had.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
If I'm looking at Couturier as a Team Canada fan, I'm not all that impressed. If I'm looking at Couturier as a scout and projecting where he will be in 5 years, I'm very impressed.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If I'm looking at Couturier as a Team Canada fan,
I'm not all that impressed.
If I'm looking at Couturier as a scout and projecting where he will be in 5 years, I'm very impressed.

Seeing him play live gave m a new appreciation on all the small things he does that allows his team to win.
Also he may not have scored as much as some expected.....BUT....
he did give himself those opportunities.
The goalies he was facing the last 3 games may have been the top at the tourney (Campbell, Conz and Lehner)
and very few players actually scored on them let alone a player not drafted yet.

Dave from Vancouver

Dec 8, 2009
Better instincts? No. Also, nowhere near as good of a skater. Lastly, his vision is probably not as good as RNH either.
His instincts at both ends of the ice are better, but particularly in his own zone. RNH watches the puck too much. His speed means he can buzz around well, but Couturier is smarter.

Agreed skating is a strength for RNH.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
if either one of these is the #1 pick it is a really weak draft year

Absolutely - Bust potential here is very real. Both look awkward and have questionable foot speed. Nice stick skills but but we are not talking about the Phil Esposito era here.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Absolutely - Bust potential here is very real. Both look awkward and have questionable foot speed. Nice stick skills but but we are not talking about the Phil Esposito era here.

Hopkins is a strong skater.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Hopkins is a strong skater.

I can't believe someone actually said that RNH is an awkward skater with questionable footspeed...

Even though the thread is Couturier vs. RNH, I hope he was talking about Larsson and not RNH, since he is more likely to go number 1, which was what he was talking about

Even then, Larsson is a pretty smooth skater he just doesn't have crazy top end speed...solid though and when he gets going he can skate pretty well from what I have seen

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Sounds to me like RNH is like Kyle Turris and SC more like Jordan Staal?

Probably fair, though I think the 2nd one is closer to being accurate...I never saw Turris play in junior because of the league he played in, but I think Duchene is closer because I have seen a lot of both of them

Only difference is I think RNH is an even better playmaker with better vision, while Duchene is a better goal scorer and drives the net more with a better frame

He kind of plays similar to Burmistrov and Kuznetsov, but I still think he has more upside than both

Jul 10, 2010
Sean Couturier for most teams.

But and this is a serious possibility, if BOSTON uses Torontos 1st and gets 1st overal, i have a feeling theyd take RNH since they can afford to wait for him to physically mature and build muscle.

The Islanders, Oilers, and others need an impact player now. that is Couturier.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

The only question about RNH's footspeed is 'how the hell is he so fast?'.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Sean Couturier for most teams.

But and this is a serious possibility, if BOSTON uses Torontos 1st and gets 1st overal, i have a feeling theyd take RNH since they can afford to wait for him to physically mature and build muscle.

The Islanders, Oilers, and others need an impact player now. that is Couturier.

Wouldn't Boston just take Larsson if they got all the way to 1st overall? I doubt they take a centre when they have Savard, Bergeron, Seguin, and Krecji down the middle

Also, I think the Oilers and Islanders are 3+ years from contending, so they may have enough time to wait

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i'd go with couturier without a second thought. that size and defensive play are just too hard to overlook for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad