Countdown to WJC 2021 - Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Johnson?

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Yep, bad enough we'll have Stuetzle coming into the division (if it goes back to pre-COVID alignment).

I could only imagine the posts on here if we were in Ottawa's postion and drafted Stutzle then passed on Peterka twice. Would've sucked even more to both not have JJP ourselves and to face the German duo. Speaking of, not looking forward to Seider either.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I could only imagine the posts on here if we were in Ottawa's postion and drafted Stutzle then passed on Peterka twice. Would've sucked even more to both not have JJP ourselves and to face the German duo. Speaking of, not looking forward to Seider either.

It's not like the Sens don't have a strong stable of prospects and young players that Peterka would make or break them however.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
People need to stop thinking criticism of a player means someone hates a player.
You never said one good thing about Cousins when he was doing good. It wasn't til the last game that you mentioned him and it was in a negative light. Spare me that critism bs.

There's constructive critism and then there is just hateful critism.

Reactions: Genny Screamer

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Being Canadian this stinks. The states were the underdogs in this one and played with that hunger. For me the blame lies with the coach, the team was clearly not mentally prepared for the game. One shift in the first epitomized it where there was one American player who took the puck deep all alone while the rest changed and 5 Canadian players sat in front of the net watching. Not one went after him. The Canadians were way to passive the first period and a half and it cost them. Facing zero adversity until this point didn’t help either but the coach did dittly squat to change it.

not trying to take anything away from the US, they played the perfect game.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You never said one good thing about Cousins when he was doing good. It wasn't til the last game that you mentioned him and it was in a negative light. Spare me that critism bs.

I’ve only made a handful of comments regarding Cozens through the tournament because I watched a limited amount of games. They were in the first game for the 1st Canada vs Russia game which I thought he looked sloppy, others did too. Then there was the German game where I thought he played decent, but I wanted to see what he looked like vs better competition as you would expect someone like him to dominate lesser competition, and then the US gold medal game where he looked bad in his decision making (which was my main critique I had of his throughout the game).

My standards for the guy are higher than most considering he’s someone that is regarded as one of the best prospects out there and is a vet in the World Juniors. So excuse me if the occasional rush down the wing of the ice doesn’t check mark a box of him playing well like it does for others. He needed to do better, he was counted on by I’m sure the rest of the team to do better.

If you think I hate the guy that’s on you. I like the kid, even if I question how good of a player he actually is.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The USA played the same style the Sabres started out with last season. Canada wasn't able to counter the aggressive puck pressure and never developed any flow to their game.
I still can't figure that out.

The first week of games felt like they were really aggressive in that way, then cooled off

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Or maybe his posts are mostly criticizing cozens because he knows the rest of the board will sufficiently praise cozens for the good things.

When you have 99% of the board praising cozens, I think the positives are adequately covered where he shouldn't have to qualify any criticism by putting it in a compliment sandwich.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Absolutely loved the way USA played from start to finish. It really exemplifies how important it is to have guys like Turcotte, Beniers, Brink etc. Just smart two-way players who battle. Johnson was also excellent in his role. Great composure and decision making all game from him, loved it! And that Zegras kid still looks like he was the move in 2019, eh?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Or maybe his posts are mostly criticizing cozens because he knows the rest of the board will sufficiently praise cozens for the good things.

When you have 99% of the board praising cozens, I think the positives are adequately covered where he shouldn't have to qualify any criticism by putting it in a compliment sandwich.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I really don't care how others are commenting on players nor do I adjust my comments accordingly. I'm heavily critical of anything Sabres, and there are certain players, I will confess, I may be more critical on than others (which everyone has that player(s) that they give the benefit of the doubt to or are more critical on), but that's mostly because of reasons I may have for myself to do so.

I'm not going to comment on every single negative or positive play a player makes, that doesn't mean I don't notice them. I will make the comments on a player's play when I feel it's something to say something about.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I'm not any kind of Stan for Botterill, but I have no problem admitting there's a real good chance that he absolutely nailed his last draft. Cozens... sheesh that boi good. And Ryan Johnson could very well make me eat crow. I wanted Kaliyev and I know I wasn't the only one, but Johnson showed some amazing talent and potential this tourney. And not to forget Rousek and Huglen who are intriguing in their own right. Let's give some credit where it's due.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I still can't figure that out.

The first week of games felt like they were really aggressive in that way, then cooled off

I think what threw Canada off their game was their first adversity (first time down in game), how they adjusted to it and how team USA approached the early part of the game.

Team USA was aggressive early double shifting the Zegras and Caufield lines to push the pressure, especially after the goal. Canada adjusted by shortening their bench as well. But I think a big reason for their success at grinding teams down was rolling 4 lines with their incredible forward depth. Once they gave up that advantage they struggled. They eventually got back to it a bit in the 3rd. But it was too late by then.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Canada look gassed last night. Not their usual jump. Good job USA, well earned. Really impressed with Johnson’s game this tournament.

But if you think one tournament or game defines a player’s career you are delusional. No, no one knows how any of these kids careers will end up based on this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad