Countdown to WJC 2021 - Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Johnson?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Dylan Cozens, Mattias Samuelsson, Matej Pekar and Erik Portillo went in 2020
Cozens is still the only player still eligible from that group.

We know that Quinn and Cozens are going to the selection camp for Canada. Both should make the team.
Hockey Canada invites 46 players to National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp

To be eligible a players 20th birthday has to be in 2001 or later.

Eligible Sabres Prospects
J.J. Paterka (DEL)
Ryan Johnson (USA)
Albert Lykasen (SWE)

Paterka should be a lock for Germany and I expect Johnson to be on the USA team. Lykasen has no chance.

This will be the first tournament in a long time that NHL commitments won't interfere with player availability.

Canada’s National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp, set for Nov. 16-Dec. 13 in Red Deer, Alta.
IIHF World Junior Championship, Dec. 25-Jan. 5 in Edmonton, Alta.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
World junior 2021 roster projections. Scott Wheeler picks the teams and medals (Paywall)
Scott Wheeler's projected Rosters
For Canada he has Cozens making it but not Quinn. He also has Holloway making it.
I struggled with leaving off the talent of a Ryan Suzuki, a Mavrik Bourque, or a Jamieson Rees (though Rees is really going to have to show off in camp to make it because he comes with a bit of a reputation). And I suspect at least one of Jack Quinn (who plays under head coach Andre Tourigny) and Adam Beckman (who is a 2001 and led the WHL in scoring last year) to be on the team.
Canada.png

Team USA - Wheeler has Ryan Johnson (LD) as an extra. Team USA has the opposite problem as the Sabres.
On defence, my groupings and picks probably don’t look anything like the final roster. There are a couple of reasons for that. One is that outside of three locks (Cam York, Henry Thrun and Jake Sanderson), it’s wide open. Another is that the Americans are thin on righties. Only one of my six picks, Case McCarthy, actually shoots right. A third is that there are two USA Hockey darlings (Alex Vlasic and Tyler Kleven) who could make the team, that I’m not fond of.

USA.png

Sweden, Finland and Russia's roster are also projected in the article. Germany isn't but you can be sure Paterka will be on it.

World Juniors 2021: Roster, dates, format for Hockey Canada's selection camp
Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton did state on a call with reporters, when announcing Lafreniere's entry-level contract, that they wanted the rookie in New York to prepare for his first NHL season.
When asked by Sporting News whether the NHL's start date getting pushed further into 2021 from the tentative date of Jan. 1 would affect Lafreniere's world junior availability, he noted that there have been some discussions.

Remove the uncertainty and let the kid play.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010

For those who are familiar with Canadian scrimmages, this one is much more watchable than in the past. It’s not at Winsport, but in Red Deer. Camera is probably 20-30 rows high and the nameplates can actually be read.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffaloed

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Tomasino scores off the faceoff won by Cozens to put White up 3-0.
Barron made a nice play moving up from the D to put Red on the board.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I didn't realize it was live. Is it archived?

Nevermind, I see it it.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Today’s Red-White game postponed due to COVID-19

Hockey Canada statement on National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp
RED DEER, Alta. – The following is a statement on behalf of Hockey Canada from Scott Salmond, senior vice-president of national teams, on Canada’s National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp.

“Hockey Canada confirmed earlier today that two players at Canada’s National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp have tested positive for COVID-19, and have been placed in quarantine at the team hotel in Red Deer.

Upon learning of the positive test this morning, the decision was made to postpone the Red-White game scheduled for this morning at the Westerner Park Centrium, and to suspend all camp activities for today. As per Hockey Canada’s safety protocols, all players, coaches and staff members took mandatory COVID-19 tests upon arrival at camp and have continued to be tested regularly throughout the past ten days. For precautionary reasons, we will also ensure that all players and team personnel go through an additional test before resuming camp activities. The appropriate local and provincial health authorities have been made aware of the situation, and we will continue to work closely with Alberta Health Services. We will have no further comment at this time.”

For more information on Hockey Canada and Canada’s National Junior Team, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along through social media on Facebook and Twitter and Twitter.com/HC_WJC.

I hope it's not Cozens and Dach

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
How exactly does Cam McDonald (0GP this season) go from not even invited to the summer showcase to one of the final nine defenseman, other than his college coach being head coach?

An invite like this sets a really awful precedent.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Imagine those Canadian kids sitting in a hotel for 14 days in quarantine knowing some are being cut the second it is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad