Could Vegas be the beneficiary of favorable officiating?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think it's so much a conspiracy as it is reputations. Vegas hasn't built one yet along with being a feel good story probably gets them some calls in their favor. For last night's game, both teams got away with a lot. The refs probably shouldn't have called the second penalty, compared to everything else they let go that was a weak call.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
No, but look around. We see a bunch of garbage refereeing on an almost nightly basis.
Hey man, I get it. good on you for admitting not playing too. The thing is as officials we don't "miss calls" we see it but don't call it. If we called everything there would be zero flow in the game. Nobody wants that.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
Was there some kind of point to this question?
Yes. Not bashing him. It's just that there are certain things that won't be understood about the game if you don't play it especially at the higher levels regardless of how much you read and study the game. Not a bash at all, the guy obviously loves hockey if he's on this site.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yes. Not bashing him. It's just that there are certain things that won't be understood about the game if you don't play it especially at the higher levels regardless of how much you read and study the game. Not a bash at all, the guy obviously loves hockey if he's on this site.
But even players would agree that the reffing is inconsistent and shitty. I don't see the relevance in the query.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Hey man, I get it. good on you for admitting not playing too. The thing is as officials we don't "miss calls" we see it but don't call it. If we called everything there would be zero flow in the game. Nobody wants that.
I want that.

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
Yes i agree

Refs probably realize theyre in vegss and its an expansion team. Its friendly calls...just like the way we see crosby get calls go his way.

We can pretend its not happening though..

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I agree with ref88 that they need to allow the game to have some flow, too much special teams play just kills a game to me. I'm always more in favor of swallowing the whistles, unless things are starting to get out of hand. But... what kills me is when the refs do 'let them play' and suddenly decide some marginal call, that didn't even really impact the play, has to be called at a critical moment in the game (say, the last few minutes of the game in a tight game). That's just game management and has nothing to do with the flow. This is a little OT though, I'm thinking of that Cogliano call last night.

Reactions: ref88 and Duck Off

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Refs probably realize theyre in vegss and its an expansion team. Its friendly calls...just like the way we see crosby get calls go his way.

Actually the leading penalty drawer on the Pens is RUST, not Crosby

But I realize that doesn't quite fit the echo chamber....

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think it's so much a conspiracy as it is reputations. Vegas hasn't built one yet along with being a feel good story probably gets them some calls in their favor. For last night's game, both teams got away with a lot. The refs probably shouldn't have called the second penalty, compared to everything else they let go that was a weak call.

This I can buy. I can see how reputation can fit into how refs call a game. But I don't think it is all refs and it is not every game.

But those who make it out to be some league-wide conspiracy are being ridiculous.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

This is just a weak excuse for refs to not do their jobs properly and it devolves into what you see on the ice with regularity now. What flow is there to the game if you're going to allow teams to do whatever the hell they want just so you don't call 'everything'. The problem isn't anywhere near that the refs don't call everything. The problem is that the refs don't call enough with consistency so that the players can adjust to a reasonably set standard of what's acceptable and what isn't and that it's stuck with. I can't put into words how ridiculous this line of reasoning is.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
This is just a weak excuse for refs to not do their jobs properly and it devolves into what you see on the ice with regularity now. What flow is there to the game if you're going to allow teams to do whatever the hell they want just so you don't call 'everything'. The problem isn't anywhere near that the refs don't call everything. The problem is that the refs don't call enough with consistency so that the players can adjust to a reasonably set standard of what's acceptable and what isn't and that it's stuck with. I can't put into words how ridiculous this line of reasoning is.
Talk to any NHL player and they will tell you they think the refs are great and they also have good relationships with them. The guys you hear talking to the media after a game... Well that's just an emotional response. Players don't need to adjust as they've had the game called the same way since junior. Referees have supervisors they report to and if they aren't getting the job done there is always someone younger waiting in the wings. Remember these guys have a more grueling travel schedule than teams and just as difficult training and diet regimen. There's a reason they are where they are.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Talk to any NHL player and they will tell you they think the refs are great and they also have good relationships with them. The guys you hear talking to the media after a game... Well that's just an emotional response. Players don't need to adjust as they've had the game called the same way since junior. Referees have supervisors they report to and if they aren't getting the job done there is always someone younger waiting in the wings. Remember these guys have a more grueling travel schedule than teams and just as difficult training and diet regimen. There's a reason they are where they are.

I don't care what an NHL player will tell me about officiating when it's in their best interests to vocalize that opinion outside of certain frustrations. Players don't need to adjust as they've had the game called the same way since junior? Are you serious? So we're going to pretend that the game is played the same way at the NHL level as it is in juniors? That's absurd on the face of it. The officials are no different than any other group of their type. They look after their own even if it means to the detriment of their job quality and the quality of the game. I don't care about their traveling schedule. That's just being used in this context as an excuse and, "There's a reason they are where they are," is a meaningless appeal to authority. They suck because they're inconsistent at developing and adhering to a standard. Plain and simple.

Reactions: bras meurtris

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
I don't care what an NHL player will tell me about officiating when it's in their best interests to vocalize that opinion outside of certain frustrations. Players don't need to adjust as they've had the game called the same way since junior? Are you serious? So we're going to pretend that the game is played the same way at the NHL level as it is in juniors? That's absurd on the face of it. The officials are no different than any other group of their type. They look after their own even if it means to the detriment of their job quality and the quality of the game. I don't care about their traveling schedule. That's just being used in this context as an excuse and, "There's a reason they are where they are," is a meaningless appeal to authority. They suck because they're inconsistent at developing and adhering to a standard. Plain and simple.

Honestly couldn't disagree more but I'm here to educate not to get into a pissing contest.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Honestly couldn't disagree more but I'm here to educate not to get into a pissing contest.

It's not at all a pissing contest. They're inconsistent with their calls because they don't adhere to an actual standard. That's a legitimate criticism and you don't have an actual response to that.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
I was at the game last night, and it was the worst officiating I have ever seen. Oddly, the other game in which the officiating had been downright horrible was the other game the Sharks played in Las Vegas. In both games, I felt the Sharks controlled the play very well, and deserved quite a few penalty calls they did not get. I didn't see the broadcast with commentary until I saw the video that I have attached, but I have also never heard Randy Hahn make such a blatant comment about poor officiating as I did in that game.

Here is a video of some of the missed calls last night. There are actually a few that the video maker missed. Now, I know that referees miss calls every single night, and that nobody is perfect, and I always try to say "it's not a conspiracy, the refs are just bad" but this was next level.

Of course, we all know about the high stick from James Neal. Let's take a look at it.

This is also really really bad. Before coming to a conclusion, just ask yourself this. When was the last time you saw a player slash a goaltender in the head, breaking his stick, and not be penalized for it? When have you seen a player slash a goaltender in the head, breaking his stick, and not even suffer from his own teammate's subsequent goal being called back? Then look at the Schmidt hit on Joel Ward. (0 minutes and 37 seconds into the first video) When was the last time you saw a player drive another player in the boards from full speed, looking at his numbers the whole time, cause a significant injury, (Ward did not return for the game) and not be penalized? Not even a 2 minute minor? Usually, if the refs initially miss it, they will call a minor after they see the player is injured. Why nothing here?

Fans of teams that have played against Vegas: have you felt, at any point, that the referees were giving your team a particularly unfair shake against the Vegas Golden Knights? Not just your usual "These refs are making some bad calls tonight" but a strong "It feels like Vegas is getting special treatment from the referees"

100% they are. Noticed this with all Oilers games vs Vegas this year.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
It's not at all a pissing contest. They're inconsistent with their calls because they don't adhere to an actual standard. That's a legitimate criticism and you don't have an actual response to that.
The standard is set by the referees in that particular game. Every game is different man. Even at the level I'm at we watch tape on the teams we are reffing and I'm not in the NHL.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The standard is set by the referees in that particular game. Every game is different man. Even at the level I'm at we watch tape on the teams we are reffing and I'm not in the NHL.

And the fact that you don't see that as a problem only speaks to the depth in which this is a serious issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad