Could Utah be a future home for the NHL?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I could see it good addition for AHL. Affiliate of VGK or Avs.

Avs have a relatively close affiliate now in Colorado Springs. (~70 miles apart)

If VGK wants closer affiliate, then maybe. But travel could be a lot harder than their Chicago location and neighbors.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
If hockey didn't grow at all in SLC after 2002 Winter Olympics with Canada v USA mens and womens, it will be hard.
Do you really think it was locals who were attending the games, especially the Gold Medal game?

Or, maybe the Olympics doesn't have the impact a lot of people on here want to believe.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Saw the game last night on NHL Network and looked closely at how the rink fit in there. Yes, it's a basketball only configuration but this is different from that of Barclays. All available areas of seating are useable with I'm guessing good sightlines. That said, there is a reason why it's been so long since they played hockey in there - it's not a good long-term option. Perhaps it would be useable as a temporary for one or two years, but no more than that.

As for the market, it is small, and they would have entrenched competition from the NBA, but the same challenges for the NHL in Salt Lake will exist in Seattle when the NBA comes back to town here so I'm not sure that that's even a concern. I'd have to think that if the Miller's were interested and were able to find a few other folks locally to help cover the costs of a team, I'd have to think it'd be a doable proposition. They will need a new building (I'd propose expanding the building out in West Valley City that did host the 2002 Olympic tournament) but I suspect it would have success.

In total, I think that the Salt Lake market as a long-term option should be something the NHL can look at. At minimum, it's surprising to me why VGK doesn't look at placing their AHL team there. See how the AHL fares in that market then maybe there'd be something down the road.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Saw the game last night on NHL Network and looked closely at how the rink fit in there. Yes, it's a basketball only configuration but this is different from that of Barclays. All available areas of seating are useable with I'm guessing good sightlines. That said, there is a reason why it's been so long since they played hockey in there - it's not a good long-term option. Perhaps it would be useable as a temporary for one or two years, but no more than that.

As for the market, it is small, and they would have entrenched competition from the NBA, but the same challenges for the NHL in Salt Lake will exist in Seattle when the NBA comes back to town here so I'm not sure that that's even a concern. I'd have to think that if the Miller's were interested and were able to find a few other folks locally to help cover the costs of a team, I'd have to think it'd be a doable proposition. They will need a new building (I'd propose expanding the building out in West Valley City that did host the 2002 Olympic tournament) but I suspect it would have success.

In total, I think that the Salt Lake market as a long-term option should be something the NHL can look at. At minimum, it's surprising to me why VGK doesn't look at placing their AHL team there. See how the AHL fares in that market then maybe there'd be something down the road.

And another thing, too. That particular matchup - VAN vs LA - should have been a preseason matchup this year in SEATTLE, along with Salt Lake.....just saying........Maybe next year.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Kings and Canucks come to town Monday for a preseason showcase — could Utah ever land an NHL team?

The inevitable question when preseason hockey comes town.

Arena, ownership group and funding. LMK when you've got that figured out. :D

Utah is still a state and not a city, right?

So when talking about the state we need to talk about a city

Utah population is about 2.7 mill

In Canada I think the Peg has the smallest population at about 700k? Does Utah have a city with 700K

Utah Jazz run the place

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
Utah is still a state and not a city, right?

So when talking about the state we need to talk about a city

Utah population is about 2.7 mill

In Canada I think the Peg has the smallest population at about 700k? Does Utah have a city with 700K

Utah Jazz run the place

People are talking about Salt Lake City when they talk Utah. Salt Lake City combined statistical area is 2.5M and the metro is 1.2M. The smallest NBA-NHL market is Denver with a CSA of 3.5M(with Colorado Springs and Fort Worth not counted) and a metro of almost 2.9M. As of 2015 Denver CSA has 21 fortune 1000 companies, Salt Lake City CSA has 3.

Salt Lake City won't be considered for another 25-30 years until a new arena is needed and they have more population growth/get more big corporations. Utah is also very conservative when it comes to subsidies so there will be no second NHL only arena. When they built the arena in 92 the public only paid for 21%. With the renovation the public paid 20%(tax breaks).

Last edited:

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
Per Wiki they list the capacity at 14,000 for hockey but they listed that pre-renovation. During the renovation they chopped off seats in the 4 corners of the upper deck making a bigger concourse/gathering space reducing NBA capacity from 19,911 to 18,306.

900x0_s3-31239-W-UTAH-VIVINT-RENO-3.jpg

I assume capacity is now around 12,500(ish). Last nights attendance was announced as 12,367. Also ice problems with a goalpost in each end of the rink caused five lengthy stoppages for repairs in the game’s first 11 minutes.

L.A. Kings' SLC appearance is a hit with fans and a success on the ice, ultimately

Last edited:

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Avs have a relatively close affiliate now in Colorado Springs. (~70 miles apart)

The Colorado Eagles play in Loveland, CO which is a suburb of Fort Collins, not Colorado Springs. Your point still stands though, as it's even closer to Denver, at just over 50 miles north.

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016

If VGK wants closer affiliate, then maybe. But travel could be a lot harder than their Chicago location and neighbors.

I think SLC would be a good destination for Vancouver's AHL affiliate if they want it to be closer than Utica is. Travel to VAN should be much easier and a decent schedule should be within reach with all the California teams.

Maybe Canucks checked this out with last night's game...

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think SLC would be a good destination for Vancouver's AHL affiliate if they want it to be closer than Utica is. Travel to VAN should be much easier and a decent schedule should be within reach with all the California teams.

Maybe Canucks checked this out with last night's game...

It's ~770 miles from SJ to SLC (via bus), perhaps 11-12 hours of travel time. That's not an easy reach.
It's 1:40 flight time between SJ and Utah (non stop). And an hour difference in time zone. (And more expensive to fly) Stockton, Bakersfield would probably have 1-3 hour bus ride to airport on top of that. (12+ hours on bus or 1:50 flight time from Tuscon)

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Not to be picky, but Winnipeg's "metropolis area" at the last census was 783,000. It's massive! Okay, it's like being 5'11''. Not small, not big... just right. ;)

Just to provide another update to you DG regarding Winnipeg's population, Bartley Kives of CBC reported on March 8, 2017 that Statistics Canada indicated the population of the Winnipeg census metropolitan area - the city and nearby municipalities where more than half the population commutes daily for work or school - was estimated to be 811,874 as of July 1, 2016. That's up from 794,729 on Canada Day in 2015. It also edges out Quebec City's metropolitan population, which Statistics Canada pegged at 807,211 on July 1, 2016. The Winnipeg metropolitan population (according to Stats Canada) is the seventh-largest in Canada.

:jets

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I will try and not sound like a pretentious Canadian Hockey fan when I say this
No location would surprise me at this point.
In 1993 (last time a Canadian team won the Cup)who would I have fathomed that Quebec would move to Denver, Winnipeg would move to Arizona, a city in Georgia would get an expansion team only to relocate to Winnipeg? That there would be 2 teams in Florida, 3 Teams in California, a team in Texas, and another in Columbus Ohio? And of course Las Vegas Nevada..?
Truly not intending to bash any fan base from any of those areas... but in 1993 if I told the average Canadian it would be 26 years for a Canadian team to win the Cup and there would be more teams in California, Florida, Texas, Nevada, and Arizona combined than all of Canada I would of thought you nuts.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just to provide another update to you DG regarding Winnipeg's population, Bartley Kives of CBC reported on March 8, 2017 that Statistics Canada indicated the population of the Winnipeg census metropolitan area - the city and nearby municipalities where more than half the population commutes daily for work or school - was estimated to be 811,874 as of July 1, 2016. That's up from 794,729 on Canada Day in 2015. It also edges out Quebec City's metropolitan population, which Statistics Canada pegged at 807,211 on July 1, 2016. The Winnipeg metropolitan population (according to Stats Canada) is the seventh-largest in Canada.

:jets

Winnipeg and Quebec City are very similar in size BUT when you factor in adjacent population centers Quebec has a clear advantage.

Reactions: MikeCubs

Vacheron

Dec 11, 2016
Houston and Seattle are both much better options.
Houston for sure. Unfortunately for me, Austin-San Antonio is just a little too physically large to support a team even if the population will reach almost six million in a decade or so.

And I'm being self-serving. I just want the Stars to play meaningful hockey in Austin.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
What do you mean?
I would assume he means too spread out. Austin and San Antonio are actually 2 cities, whose centers are 80 miles apart. That's close enough that in many ways, it becomes one market. But, it's too spread out to expect people from one city or its far suburbs to travel on a week night to game in the other city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad