Could this core ever resemble the glory Avs?

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Honestly I can’t see the AVS winning 2 cups within 5 years of each other again. For so many reasons beyond just the cap.

There’s a good chance the 2001 cup is the last in franchise history :/

D7D34BC9-24E4-4EDF-95EB-B8C174F41E56.jpeg

*hisses at post

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Regarding this generational talk, I wrote this one and a half year ago:

"This is NOT going to be a popular opinion but I think Ovechkin is generational and Crosby is not. In my opinion Ovechkin has a legit chance to be the greatest goal scorer of all time which makes him generational in my opinion.

Of course this all comes down to the question: what do you think generational means? I think it's a label that is used way too loosely.

Crosby is currently the better player, no question about it. But Ovechkins career is more.. history shaking. People talk about him being possibly the greatest goal scorer of all time and adjusted numbers back up this claim. Crosby is elite level player, Crosby is franchise talent, and Crosby has been the best player for multiple years during the last ~10 years, but Crosby doesn't change the history pages by being best in anything if we consider the whole history of the NHL. He is "just" a complete package of being excellent in pretty much every aspect of the game. I feel bad writing this as I think I will be misunderstood. I don't want to downplay Crosby, that's not my intention at all."

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wholeheartedly agree that the term "generational" is overused. I also think "elite" gets thrown around way, way too much. My favorite Av of all time is Milan Hejduk, but even I don't think he was an "elite" player. Very, very good and remarkably consistent, yes, but not quite to that level.

I still don't think Ovechkin is generational, even though he most assuredly will go down as one of the greatest of all time. Crosby and McDavid IMO are though. Still torn as to whether Erik Karlsson is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I still don't think Ovechkin is generational, even though he most assuredly will go down as one of the greatest of all time. Crosby and McDavid IMO are though. Still torn as to whether Erik Karlsson is.

I don't see how Ovi isn't generational. 3 Harts, 3 Pearsons (Lindsey now), 8 Richards (he's won 40% of them all time... 57% of the ones he has been eligible for), a Smythe, and a Ross. He's already 13th in all time goals, with the odds of top 5 very likely. Hell, he could end up 2nd and nobody would be shocked. I'd personally make the argument that he is the greatest goal scorer of all time.

Reactions: S E P H and McMetal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Regarding this generational talk, I wrote this one and a half year ago:

"This is NOT going to be a popular opinion but I think Ovechkin is generational and Crosby is not. In my opinion Ovechkin has a legit chance to be the greatest goal scorer of all time which makes him generational in my opinion.

Of course this all comes down to the question: what do you think generational means? I think it's a label that is used way too loosely.

Crosby is currently the better player, no question about it. But Ovechkins career is more.. history shaking. People talk about him being possibly the greatest goal scorer of all time and adjusted numbers back up this claim. Crosby is elite level player, Crosby is franchise talent, and Crosby has been the best player for multiple years during the last ~10 years, but Crosby doesn't change the history pages by being best in anything if we consider the whole history of the NHL. He is "just" a complete package of being excellent in pretty much every aspect of the game. I feel bad writing this as I think I will be misunderstood. I don't want to downplay Crosby, that's not my intention at all."

I don’t entirely disagree with this premise. I do think a “generational” talent has to be THAT much better than his peers or bring an element to the game that hasn’t been seen before at an elite level(Karlsson). I think overall as a player Ovi probably is close to generational, but as a goal scorer there’s no question he is. He’s the GOAT goal scorer and that’s obviously a generational part of his game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Bourque's jersey definitely looks out of place with the other five but I don't really have a problem with it. He's Ray Bourque, after all. Because of the championship and the iconic Sakic cup handoff I'll let it slide.

Some people said Hejduk didn't belong up there. I had to fight all of those people.

Yes it does.

Are we really re-opening this tired-as-hell argument? Really?
Number retirements for people whose careers weren't ended prematurely is a uniquely North American thing and is really quite sad when you think about it

The Avalanche retiring #77 is one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen, as is a team not even a quarter of a century old having six numbers out of circulation

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't see how Ovi isn't generational. 3 Harts, 3 Pearsons (Lindsey now), 8 Richards (he's won 40% of them all time... 57% of the ones he has been eligible for), a Smythe, and a Ross. He's already 13th in all time goals, with the odds of top 5 very likely. Hell, he could end up 2nd and nobody would be shocked. I'd personally make the argument that he is the greatest goal scorer of all time.

Again, I think the current reigning "Best Pure Goal Scorer of All Time" was Brett Hull. Was he generational? I don't think he was. So I'm not quite ready to put Ovechkin there. But I'll admit I'm also not gonna make this a hill to die on or something. It's a good discussion, I'm just personally very, very picky when it comes to labeling players elite or generational.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bourque's jersey definitely looks out of place with the other five but I don't really have a problem with it. He's Ray Bourque, after all. Because of the championship and the iconic Sakic cup handoff I'll let it slide.

Some people said Hejduk didn't belong up there. I had to fight all of those people.

Anyone who doesn't think #23 belongs up there is a moron.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It’s tough because of the salary cap era. And it’s also tough because a lot of those Avs years took place in a 26 team NHL.

But not impossible. I would argue the 2009-2010 Blackhawks were damn near close to the ‘96 Avs club, aside from the goaltending.

Obviously, they had to retool after losing many let pieces in UFA.

Reactions: S E P H

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Again, I think the current reigning "Best Pure Goal Scorer of All Time" was Brett Hull. Was he generational? I don't think he was. So I'm not quite ready to put Ovechkin there. But I'll admit I'm also not gonna make this a hill to die on or something. It's a good discussion, I'm just personally very, very picky when it comes to labeling players elite or generational.
I wouldn’t consider Hull that, and it really isn’t all that close between the two. Hull, had they existed, would have only had 3 Richards, a Hart, and a Pearson... the resumes are night and day different.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The problem with "generational" is we have more than one player labeled as "generational" per generation which kind of defeats the point. That said, Ovi is that and then some. He's more exceptional than Crosby IMO and could be challenging Gretzky's goal record (something that everyone assumed was set in stone for eternity) while playing in an era where it's much more difficult to score goals. His consistency at doing it is what makes him generational.

Reactions: Murzu and Foppberg

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I mean the glory Avs "only" won 2 cups and had no other finals appearances in their what like 10 year window? We've seen two teams in the past decade win 3 and another with also 2.

I think it's entirely possible this team can win 2 cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad