Could this core ever resemble the glory Avs?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The question is how many of our potential stars are we going to be able to retain mid and long term under the cap. Mack, Rants, Makar, Byram. It's not that far fetched to think that you might be looking at 50M+/year just for these 4 players as soon as Byram is done with his ELC.

No chance Makar and Byram make that much coming out of their ELC’s.

Reactions: avsfan09

member 149439

What is wrong with you
What’s wrong with me, is I don’t trust the nhl to rip away the hopes and dreams of the AVS being champions once again... the league as a whole seems to be against the fact that Colorado won some cups in Colorado not Quebec. I hope and want the AVS to win several cups with the core we have now in reality. Also I’m ridiculously superstitious ;) so saying we won’t win at least wouldn’t jinx anything.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What’s wrong with me, is I don’t trust the nhl to rip away the hopes and dreams of the AVS being champions once again... the league as a whole seems to be against the fact that Colorado won some cups in Colorado not Quebec. I hope and want the AVS to win several cups with the core we have now in reality. Also I’m ridiculously superstitious ;) so saying we won’t win at least wouldn’t jinx anything.

Even if it were true, the league can't do anything to prevent the better team from winning. Bad calls tend to even out, and if you play perfectly there are no calls to be had.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
That's kind of a big ask
USATSI_10527580_164063748_lowres-696x464.jpg

Considering those six dudes shared the ice at the same time.

Reactions: 21 and AvsGuy

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's kind of a big ask
USATSI_10527580_164063748_lowres-696x464.jpg

Considering those six dudes shared the ice at the same time.
I know the Bourque jersey retirement became a subject of mockery ever since it happened but up until now it didn't bother me. Now I'm looking at this pic and I fully realize it doesn't belong there.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Bourque's jersey definitely looks out of place with the other five but I don't really have a problem with it. He's Ray Bourque, after all. Because of the championship and the iconic Sakic cup handoff I'll let it slide.

Some people said Hejduk didn't belong up there. I had to fight all of those people.

Reactions: arun

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
no problem, I'll give you a hand.

Lando - Mack - Rantanen
Jost - Kadri - Newhook
Donskoi - Compher - Kaut
LBN - whatever - whatever

seems fine to me. :banana:

I think Calvert showed this season, his tenacity is really needed and valuable. Wilson is also still quite young (and in his prime). I hope he picks it up in the season proper like he smashed it in the playoffs. My full team next season (and yep, I'm wanting one additional signing - like Ferland):

Landeskog (C) - Mackinnon (A) - Donskoi
Ferland - Kadri - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Jost - Compher
Calvert - Wilson - Nieto
(Kamenev, Bellemare, Bowers, Kaut)

Zadorov - Johnson (A)
Girard - Makar
Cole - Byram
(Connauton, Timmins, Graves)

Grubauer
Francouz

Expectations? Stanley Cup.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
For the record, this team is heading to great things. As Kadri said in his interview, we are trending in a way for sustained success.
Not sure I can physically wait until next season I'm so excited.

There is literally not one team in the entire NHL I don't think we could beat on any day. I fear no-one. We've added size (Burakovsky), grit (Kadri),
tough to play against (Donskoi). We PUMPED the flames, and really pushed a Sharks team littered with experience.

Bring on next season already. I want to see us pumping some teams, good n hard.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Nah. Until we get a generational goalie and two near generational centres no way. I sometimes forget how great Joe and Peter were in the late 90's and early 00'. I kinda wish we had advanced stats back in the day because there were games where Forsberg did whatever he wanted with the puck lol.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Nah. Until we get a generational goalie and two near generational centres no way. I sometimes forget how great Joe and Peter were in the late 90's and early 00'. I kinda wish we had advanced stats back in the day because there were games where Forsberg did whatever he wanted with the puck lol.

Mackinnon is generational, mate. He's a top 2-3 player in the entire league (I personally think he's the number one overall).
Kadri is a back-to-back 30+ goal scorer, off the back of that.
Then there's another generational player (in my opinion, and high expectations very quickly I know) in Makar.

That's not including Rantanen - who I personally believe is as good as Jaromir Jagr coming through - and actually plays like him.
Nor does it include Landeskog, who's now scoring at over a point per game.

What about Byram, who some are saying skates and plays like Makar.

Hooley dooley, how lucky are we to be supporting this team right now !

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
For the record, this team is heading to great things. As Kadri said in his interview, we are trending in a way for sustained success.
Not sure I can physically wait until next season I'm so excited.

There is literally not one team in the entire NHL I don't think we could beat on any day. I fear no-one. We've added size (Burakovsky), grit (Kadri),
tough to play against (Donskoi). We PUMPED the flames, and really pushed a Sharks team littered with experience.

Bring on next season already. I want to see us pumping some teams, good n hard.
I still have concerns. Defense and goaltending being my biggest. Defense especially to start the season. I don't fully trust Grubauer yet. I know he was amazing to close the year and was great in the playoffs BUT he hasn't shown what he can or cant do as a number 1 yet. He hasn't been given the chance but its still a question mark until he puts together a full seasons work. Grubauer might be the answer between the pipes or he could be Cam Talbot.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I think Calvert showed this season, his tenacity is really needed and valuable. Wilson is also still quite young (and in his prime). I hope he picks it up in the season proper like he smashed it in the playoffs. My full team next season (and yep, I'm wanting one additional signing - like Ferland):

Landeskog (C) - Mackinnon (A) - Donskoi
Ferland - Kadri - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Jost - Compher
Calvert - Wilson - Nieto
(Kamenev, Bellemare, Bowers, Kaut)

Zadorov - Johnson (A)
Girard - Makar
Cole - Byram
(Connauton, Timmins, Graves)

Grubauer
Francouz

Expectations? Stanley Cup.

Sorry, but you will probably have to include Rosén.

Oh, I love following underrated players, it's fun. :)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Mackinnon is generational, mate. He's a top 2-3 player in the entire league (I personally think he's the number one overall).
Kadri is a back-to-back 30+ goal scorer, off the back of that.
Then there's another generational player (in my opinion, and high expectations very quickly I know) in Makar.

That's not including Rantanen - who I personally believe is as good as Jaromir Jagr coming through - and actually plays like him.
Nor does it include Landeskog, who's now scoring at over a point per game.

What about Byram, who some are saying skates and plays like Makar.

Hooley dooley, how lucky are we to be supporting this team right now !
Mackinnon is not generational. I love Mack but no. Generational players over the last 20 years. Sidney Crosby. Connor Mcdavid. We can argue if Malkin and Kane are generational but even I don't put them in that category. That doesn't diminish those two as hockey players or Mackinnon but generational player to me is not a term I throw out lightly. Mackinnon is a great player but hes put together two solid campaigns thus far in his career. If we are gonna call Mackinnon generational then you might aswell say the same about Taylor Hall.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I still have concerns. Defense and goaltending being my biggest. Defense especially to start the season. I don't fully trust Grubauer yet. I know he was amazing to close the year and was great in the playoffs BUT he hasn't shown what he can or cant do as a number 1 yet. He hasn't been given the chance but its still a question mark until he puts together a full seasons work. Grubauer might be the answer between the pipes or he could be Cam Talbot.

I remember Brian Elliott :eek: Oof ! I get what you're saying though.
BUT, he did almost play 40 odd games, so it's not a bad sample size.

Up front, we'll be bigger and grittier, so I'm not sure we'll be getting habitually shelled as much anymore.
Some of our players were playing banged up as well, so I still expect progress and improvement.

I felt Jost became a two way guy (same as Compher).

I think we have the pieces mate, I really do, to go to that next level now.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I remember Brian Elliott :eek: Oof ! I get what you're saying though.
BUT, he did almost play 40 odd games, so it's not a bad sample size.

Up front, we'll be bigger and grittier, so I'm not sure we'll be getting habitually shelled as much anymore.
Some of our players were playing banged up as well, so I still expect progress and improvement.

I felt Jost became a two way guy (same as Compher).

I think we have the pieces mate, I really do, to go to that next level now.
We have the pieces indeed and this might be the deepest our forward corp has looked since the Andrew Brunette days. Hard not to be excited.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Mackinnon is not generational. I love Mack but no. Generational players over the last 20 years. Sidney Crosby. Connor Mcdavid. We can argue if Malkin and Kane are generational but even I don't put them in that category. That doesn't diminish those two as hockey players or Mackinnon but generational player to me is not a term I throw out lightly. Mackinnon is a great player but hes put together two solid campaigns thus far in his career. If we are gonna call Mackinnon generational then you might aswell say the same about Taylor Hall.

Mackinnon got 100 points (basically) on a team forced to play him with players like Wilson, and others at times, to spread the scoring. His scoring is just as good as Crosby.
I actually think he skates better than Crosby, offset by Crosby's defense. Reading the Flames board and Sharks board during the playoffs, they specifically suggested Mack
was generational (not myself, them - I didn't conversate with them, I just enjoy the glow when we win hahaha).

Let's just agree to disagree on this one. I see your point, but I just think he 100% is.
I also thought and said Barrie was elite, so I don't know...maybe I'm a poor judge (I still think he is)

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Sorry, but you will probably have to include Rosén.

Oh, I love following underrated players, it's fun. :)

Looking forward to what he can do, mate. Smashes it, in the AHL I believe according to someone the other day.

Reactions: 21

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Mackinnon got 100 points (basically) on a team forced to play him with players like Wilson, and others at times, to spread the scoring. His scoring is just as good as Crosby.
I actually think he skates better than Crosby, offset by Crosby's defense. Reading the Flames board and Sharks board during the playoffs, they specifically suggested Mack
was generational (not myself, them - I didn't conversate with them, I just enjoy the glow when we win hahaha).

Let's just agree to disagree on this one. I see your point, but I just think he 100% is.
I also thought and said Barrie was elite, so I don't know...maybe I'm a poor judge (I still think he is)
Yah agree to disagree. Nathan is an amazing player on an amazing contract. We should hide this generational talk from the Jack Eichel poster.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To answer the question...no. It's a different age of the NHL, don't know if we'll ever see a center tandem like Sakic/Forsberg ever again, and they also happened to have a generational talent between the pipes.

On the other side of things, that 2001 team was notoriously thin up front, especially after the Blake deal. Remember after Forsberg's spleen went kabloeey the 2nd line was Nieminen-Drury-Hinote (!). And they had a third line of Messier-Yelle-Podein that was solid defensively but couldn't score to save their lives. I don't think enough is said about just how good Joe Sakic was in 2000-01. He was the best player in the NHL and it wasn't even close. The Big Three obviously deserve a ton of credit, but without Sakic basically putting the offense on his shoulders this team doesn't win it all. That fact was driven home when, in the following season, Sakic became a mere mortal again and the offense almost completely dried up. THAT team somehow made it to the Conference Final on the back of Patrick Roy's goaltending and stifling team defense...but that team in hindsight, was not the most fun to watch.

The '95-96 team is a harder one to remember, but they were way more stacked up front. That team's 3rd line was Ricci-Yelle-Keane which COULD score in bunches. But the back end was decidedly less impressive. Yes, there was Sandis Ozolinch, Alexei Gusarov, and a young Adam Foote, but there was also Sylvain Lefebvre and Curtis Leschyschyn, two guys whose games were much simpler than their names. And they too had a generational talent in goal...and even before that it wasn't like Stephane Fiset was bad, though he really just disappeared after leaving Colorado.

This upcoming Avs team looks like it will be built for the "new" NHL, predicated on speed, skill, and depth. One of the more interesting developments in the cap era is that I thought a lot of teams would try to stockpile all the talent they could on the top two lines and then go with garbage grinders on the bottom two--that hasn't happened at all. The most successful teams in the league are largely very balanced ones. The Avs appear to be trending in that direction.

The goaltending just ain't gonna be what it used to be, from a talent and workload perspective. You just won't see these monster starting goaltenders who can take on 65+ starts and be okay for the postseason, tandems are the way to go these days. Defense has also taken a different shape. More emphasis on offense and skill and skating, much less on shutdown ability. Avs appear to be with the times, though they're putting a lot of the onus on youth this upcoming season. Time will tell if their gamble pans out or not.

So, long story short...no, I do not think this team will really be much at all like those "Glory Era" Avs, though I hope they prove to be just as, if not more successful and have some of their numbers hanging in the rafters when all is said and done.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I’d say Ovi is. At least he is goal scoring wise.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The only two guys I'd call "generational" currently playing are Crosby and McDavid. I think you could make an argument for Karlsson being in the conversation but I'm reluctant to call him that. MacKinnon is inarguably an elite talent but I wouldn't call him generational either.

And I wouldn't call Ovechkin "generational" either, even though he'll go down as one of the best ever. To me, that means putting Brett Hull, one of the best pure scorers of all time, in that conversation, and I'm not willing to do that.

Guys I'd call generational talents:
Howe
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Crosby
McDavid
Hasek
Brodeur
Roy
Lidstrom

The list doesn't necessarily end there, those are just the guys I can think of off the top of my head.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The only two guys I'd call "generational" currently playing are Crosby and McDavid. I think you could make an argument for Karlsson being in the conversation but I'm reluctant to call him that. MacKinnon is inarguably an elite talent but I wouldn't call him generational either.

And I wouldn't call Ovechkin "generational" either, even though he'll go down as one of the best ever. To me, that means putting Brett Hull, one of the best pure scorers of all time, in that conversation, and I'm not willing to do that.

Guys I'd call generational talents:
Howe
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Crosby
McDavid
Hasek
Brodeur
Roy
Lidstrom

The list doesn't necessarily end there, those are just the guys I can think of off the top of my head.
Pretty much my list. Nathan is an elite talent but not once in a generation.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad