Could this core ever resemble the glory Avs?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This is a ridiculous question, isn’t it? Nine straight division titles. Two Stanley cups. Roy. Sakic. Foppa.
*Drops mic*
Need I go on?

But, have you felt this optimistic about this franchise since the glory days? I certainly haven’t.

I think it’s unrealistic to believe this group will ever be close to the glory Avs, but things are falling into place for potentially a long run of success with this Avs team.

Let’s think about this for a second. The Chicago and LA cup teams never had close to the talent of the Avs dynasty, in my opinion, yet still had long runs of greatness.

The talent of this group will never match the glory days. Not possible. The glory Avs, were incredibly deep and had hall of fame talent, including between the pipes.

But, could this group have a run of a few division titles and win, a cup, or two?

What say, you?!

upload_2019-7-5_17-41-48.gif

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Teams aren't as good as they used to be because of the salary cap. I think this Avs squad has the ability to compete for the Cup and division title for at least 4 years, and maybe even longer. My only concern right now is the youth and inexperience of two top 6 d-men.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Teams aren't as good as they used to be because of the salary cap. I think this Avs squad has the ability to compete for the Cup and division title for at least 4 years, and maybe even longer. My only concern right now is the youth and inexperience of two top 6 d-men.

Because of the youth on the backend this season, I don’t know how far we’ll go. But, give it one more year of development, I think we’re going to be rolling.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
if all goes well with our young Ds, a core of Byram - Makar - Girard could very well be comparable to Blake - Bourque - Foote. I'd need a more reliable goalie long term though. not sure Gruby will remain on top form for the next 5+ seasons.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
if all goes well with our young Ds, a core of Byram - Makar - Girard could very well be comparable to Blake - Bourque - Foote. I'd need a more reliable goalie long term though. not sure Gruby will remain on top form for the next 5+ seasons.

100%

Gru is the key. He ain’t Roy, that’s for sure. But hopefully he can build off the playoffs.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Yup... and try this on for size.

Landy - Mack - Burakovsky
Jost - Kadri - Rants
Donskoi - Newhook - Kaut
Compher - belly - Wilson

I hate that I had to drop Compher to the 4th line.

no problem, I'll give you a hand.

Lando - Mack - Rantanen
Jost - Kadri - Newhook
Donskoi - Compher - Kaut
LBN - whatever - whatever

seems fine to me. :banana:

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
So you say until you get one. Then you must have another. And another. We know your kind!:eek:

(I'm projecting!):rolleyes:
Oh I want them all but I'm a little older and wiser now and realize just how incredibly hard it is to even get 1. It sucks watching Jumbo Joe possibly retire this season without a cup. He's been an incredible player, played on playoff teams for like 15+ seasons, and never got 1 cup.

member 149439

Honestly I can’t see the AVS winning 2 cups within 5 years of each other again. For so many reasons beyond just the cap.

There’s a good chance the 2001 cup is the last in franchise history :/

member 149439

whoops replied to self. I blame the infinite adds messing up any chance of coding reality ;)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The question is how many of our potential stars are we going to be able to retain mid and long term under the cap. Mack, Rants, Makar, Byram. It's not that far fetched to think that you might be looking at 50M+/year just for these 4 players as soon as Byram is done with his ELC.

Reactions: missionAvs

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The question is how many of our potential stars are we going to be able to retain mid and long term under the cap. Mack, Rants, Makar, Byram. It's not that far fetched to think that you might be looking at 50M+/year just for these 4 players as soon as Byram is done with his ELC.

That would be 12.5 per. If they’re worth that much, we’ve probably already won a cup.

Reactions: avsfan09

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not in the cap era, sadly. I don't think we'll ever see dynasty-level teams again the way the Wings and Avs were back in those days. Maybe for a short time, but even Chicago with their three cups were bounced in the first round more than once in between. LA had two, but one was won from the eighth seed. Parity, man...

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yes, if we are lucky and with MacKinnon and Rantanen staying healthy.

We have a bunch of interesting young talents and all talents turning into stars are unfortunately not very likely... but hopefully some of them (they have to).

The difference being a talent and an established star shouldn't be underestimated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad