WJC: Could the US host the WJC's again?

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Washington State could put two bids in (Seattle/Everett, Spokane/Tri-Cities) if they wanted to. They support junior hockey, no college hockey issues, and close to Canadian supporters.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If USA Hockey wants to make a big payday like they did last year they will host it in another border city. If they want the US have really have home ice advantage when they play Canada they will host it in Nashville.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Are we really suggesting the US goes to a Southern place? How about Atlanta? Come on, really. Someone mentioned Orlando/Miami. That'd be alright, go to a game and get half off a Disney World admission price. Does that sound like the World Juniors to you?

I can't remember the tournament doing very well in Boston to be honest with you. I remember a lot of empty seats. Buffalo did well because it was so close to the border. Ditto for North Dakota. I agree with Minneapolis since hockey is king there and there would still be some Canadian support.

Detroit sounds nice but the economy better pick up around there before that happens. Then again, Buffalo's economy is terrible too and it did alright. I think if you go to places like St. Louis or Nashville you'd be gambling a lot with the crowds.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
It would be a significant mistake for the U.S. to put the tournament in a southern market. It's just not going to draw. Phoenix? Florida? California? It would be a mistake. There's too much happening there in the winter for people to go inside to watch teenagers play hockey. Nashville? Not near enough interest. If you have it in a southern state, the games will feel like Switzerland versus the Czech Republic in a round-robin game in Finland.

There are a lot of great options in the northern U.S. Among those that haven't hosted the tournament before, you have Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago or even New York City. (I doubt New York state will get it twice in a row for the U.S. host site). Minnesota would do a great job. And I think there would be significantly more interest if the tourney was held in Boston. Boston was a bit of a dud in 1995-96, but a lot can change in 22 years. Yes, the U.S. needs an influx of Canadian fans to boost attendance and to generate additional revenue, but in a hockey-enthusiastic northern market, it'll be a big success.

razman22

Mar 24, 2006
Of course they can. It's an international tournament so needs a variety of hosts.

Attendance is high in Canada. However, while it's embarrassing for the country, Edmonton can't even sell out the Canada games.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Of course they can. It's an international tournament so needs a variety of hosts.

Attendance is high in Canada. However, while it's embarrassing for the country, Edmonton can't even sell out the Canada games.

The games are sold out. The problem is people trying to make money off of their tickets instead of going to the games. Probably more embarrassing to be honest.

As far as the OP, put it in Maine for a change. The idea it has to be a major city is wrong. It'll sell out anywhere hockey is loved.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
how many big arenas do maine have? Lewiston and ?

The putting it in a bigger city comes from bigger arena availablilty

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
As others have said, the Northwest would be great. Portland, Seattle/Everitt and Tacoma. Also Minny, Detroit, Denver, Chicago or Green Bay/Milwaukee/Madison. College towns would be good as the US team and some Canadian players come from the college ranks so that would drum up interest.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Are most of us forgetting that you need 2 large areas within reasonable driving distance of each other?

There was talk of Pittsburgh getting it, but the next largest arena is that of Robert Morris NCAA D1. Problem is that it only can hold 1200 people.

Even the ECHL rinks of Wheeling and Johnstown are too small. It would probably be needed to be Pittsburgh/Hershey since the Giant Center can hold 10,000 fans.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Are most of us forgetting that you need 2 large areas within reasonable driving distance of each other?

There was talk of Pittsburgh getting it, but the next largest arena is that of Robert Morris NCAA D1. Problem is that it only can hold 1200 people.

Even the ECHL rinks of Wheeling and Johnstown are too small. It would probably be needed to be Pittsburgh/Hershey since the Giant Center can hold 10,000 fans.

The secondary rink in Buffalo, Niagara University's rink, only held a little over 1,000 I believe so that wouldn't be an issue. As long as the main arena is large enough.

I'm not sure why people are hating on the idea of a southern market hosting it. Would people go to Slovakia v.s. Latvia? Probably not, but attendance would probably still be better than anywhere in Europe. Americans love college sports almost if not more than professional sports which is unparallelled anywhere else in the world - there is a lot of potential for the World Juniors here.

Besides, you can't confine the World Juniors to Canada and American border towns forever. Unless they change the name to the "Canada and sometimes America Juniors".

But unfortunately money talks, and that's probably the future of this tournament. USA Hockey will never hold it very far from the border because they want to make as much money as possible, and the IIHF as well will probably announce shortly that it will be held in Canada every year.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
The secondary rink in Buffalo, Niagara University's rink, only held a little over 1,000 I believe so that wouldn't be an issue. As long as the main arena is large enough.

I'm not sure why people are hating on the idea of a southern market hosting it. Would people go to Slovakia v.s. Latvia? Probably not, but attendance would probably still be better than anywhere in Europe. Americans love college sports almost if not more than professional sports which is unparallelled anywhere else in the world - there is a lot of potential for the World Juniors here.

Besides, you can't confine the World Juniors to Canada and American border towns forever. Unless they change the name to the "Canada and sometimes America Juniors".

But unfortunately money talks, and that's probably the future of this tournament. USA Hockey will never hold it very far from the border because they want to make as much money as possible, and the IIHF as well will probably announce shortly that it will be held in Canada every year.

It depends if you want it to be a huge success you really have to hold it near the boarder if you don't want it to be a huge success then sure you could hold it else where.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
It depends if you want it to be a huge success you really have to hold it near the boarder if you don't want it to be a huge success then sure you could hold it else where.

If by "huge success" you mean make a ton of money for USA Hockey and the IIHF then sure I agree.

But I'm a fan, not USAH or the IIHF. As long as the US games have good attendance - with AMERICAN fans, it would be a success to me.

Buffalo may have made money, but to me it was a joke. I don't see the point in holding it in the US at all if you hold it in a border town that will just be invaded by Canadians. Just give it to Canada in the first place.

USA Hockey's job is to develop AMERICAN hockey, not extort Canadian tourists while pricing out the average American hockey fan - thus forcing your own team to play an away game on home ice. USA Hockey's greed takes the fun out of this tournament when held in the U.S., so I'd rather it just not come to the U.S. at all.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
If by "huge success" you mean make a ton of money for USA Hockey and the IIHF then sure I agree.

But I'm a fan, not USAH or the IIHF. As long as the US games have good attendance - with AMERICAN fans, it would be a success to me.

Buffalo may have made money, but to me it was a joke. I don't see the point in holding it in the US at all if you hold it in a border town that will just be invaded by Canadians. Just give it to Canada in the first place.

So you would perfer small crowds vs having Canadians there?

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
For the non-US games of course. I would still expect the American games to be sold out for it to be a success in my eyes.

I'm a pretty big hockey fan and even I don't care about Latvia v.s. Slovakia. There's no shame in small crowds for games not involving the home team. Canadians are the exception, not the rule when it comes to interest in an uninteresting low profile matchup.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
For the non-US games of course. I would still expect the American games to be sold out for it to be a success in my eyes.

I'm a pretty big hockey fan and even I don't care about Latvia v.s. Slovakia. There's no shame in small crowds for games not involving the home team. Canadians are the exception, not the rule when it comes to interest in an uninteresting low profile matchup.

For it to be a big success there would have to be good support for other games just selling out American games would not be a success if you selll out of those games but have less then 10,000 for all other games that would not be a success.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
For it to be a big success there would have to be good support for other games just selling out American games would not be a success if you selll out of those games but have less then 10,000 for all other games that would not be a success.

... says who?

Niagara University's rink sits 2,000 people. So I guess Buffalo wasn't a success then.

I don't understand why how many people show up to a Slovakia v.s. Latvia game in a completely different country has anything to do with a tournament being a success or not.

And 10,000 is just plain ridiculous. The entire country of Slovakia doesn't even have a SINGLE arena that holds that many people. And guess what, they hosted the World Championships this year. I doubt you'll find anyone who said they weren't a success either. But you don't want Slovakia to ever hold a hockey tournament?

At least explain your ridiculous claims.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Selfishly, I'd love to see Boston / Worcester get it. Boston has always been a good hockey town, but the Bruins' success has caused a very noticeable surge of excitement for the game (that I believe will last for a while, even if the team falters). Couple that with the increased interest in this tourney (because of tv coverage) throughout the States and maybe....just maybe....

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
... says who?

Niagara University's rink sits 2,000 people. So I guess Buffalo wasn't a success then.

I don't understand why how many people show up to a Slovakia v.s. Latvia game in a completely different country has anything to do with a tournament being a success or not.

And 10,000 is just plain ridiculous. The entire country of Slovakia doesn't even have a SINGLE arena that holds that many people. And guess what, they hosted the World Championships this year. I doubt you'll find anyone who said they weren't a success either. But you don't want Slovakia to ever hold a hockey tournament?

At least explain your ridiculous claims.

I am not saying it would not be a success it could be but the idea it would be a huge success with only the American games getting great support i am sorry that is wht i have a issue with and look at Buffalo last year most of the game had very solid support why partly because of the amount of Canadians that went to the games and yes they went to non Canada games.I am not saying i don't want the Us to host it i do i just can't see it beeing a huge success if its held not on a boarder city or the south such as Tampa as for in Europe etc yes people say its a success most won't say its a massive success.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I agree Canada should have it every second year. Should go something like this. Canada, Russia, Canada, Usa, Canada, Finland, Canada, Sweden, Canada, Czech & Slovaks together, Canada, Russia...

Or how about:
Canada, Canada/Usa shared, Russia, Canada, Finland/Sweden shared, Canada/Usa shared, Canada, Czech/Slovaks shared, Canada, Russia...

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)
I'm all for sharing the hosting around but I think the issue is whether people will attend. I live in Canada but very near to Buffalo, NY (the last host) and most Americans were just not that motivated to go and that was despite Buffalo posting banners in the city and advertising it nightly on the news, etc.

I know some people are going to say the American fans were out-priced but really it's a matter of priorities. Canadian fans had to travel, wait in line at the bridge both ways, pay gas, pay to eat out (and some stayed overnight in a hotel) and were gouged for high parking fees (only for games involving Team Canada mind you, this was reported on the Buffalo news) Yet fans living right in that area who didn't have to worry about gas, travel time, outrageous parking rates for their games, wait time at the border or the necessity of eating out or staying overnight in a hotel for the most part were just not interested enough to buy tickets... They tried saying those in Southern Ontario were just a lot more financially well-off and able to pay for the tickets but come on, I live in Southern Ontario and the average person here is not rich by any means... again, it's about priorities.

As for hosting in the southern U.S.... I think it would be a big mistake if attendance is an issue... I do not think there is enough interested fans really in any U.S. location except perhaps the state of Minnesota. I would like to see that change but I think that's the current reality.

Incidentally, I am really happy to see it hosted next year in Russia as I believe Russians will show a lot of interest and deserve the spot to host! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad