WJC: Could the US host the WJC's again?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I'd like to see it hosted somewhere new in Europe such as Germany or Great Britain - one of the lowly teams that qualify (if they do). It would give the lower teams a bit of a boost and help grow the sport in those nations

No way. It just doesn't work, as much as it has been tried. The boys would be singing our gold medal national anthem to empty seats, janitors and parents while 3 million people sit at home and watch it on TV. That's been done before.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
No way. It just doesn't work, as much as it has been tried. The boys would be singing our gold medal national anthem to empty seats, janitors and parents while 3 million people sit at home and watch it on TV. That's been done before.

The only place i could see it doing ok is London the main reason is there are a ton of Canadians who live there.

truefan8993

Dec 20, 2011
You really can't assume nhl attendance will result in world juinor attendance i have nop doubt Nashville would support the States game its the other games i think would be the concern.
You make a good point, not a lot of southerns will want to see Latvia play Slovakia.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

Sweden and Finland are hockey mad and I really doubt there'd be small crowds in those games, especially for teams such as Latvia and Denmark who are nearby. Germany would merely require travel but if they want to grow the sport they should do it, perhaps start with the mens first though to see the interest.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Sweden and Finland are hockey mad and I really doubt there'd be small crowds in those games, especially for teams such as Latvia and Denmark who are nearby. Germany would merely require travel but if they want to grow the sport they should do it, perhaps start with the mens first though to see the interest.

Yes there hockey mad but out side of Sweden there is very little interest in the world juniors.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Yes there hockey mad but out side of Sweden there is very little interest in the world juniors.

let's not forget about the $$$ that TSN and NHL Network has paid for the broadcast rights.
I doubt they want a game at 10:00am on a weekday.

******Also having full arenas with crazy fans getting into the game really does help sell the sport!

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
IMO Canada is just the outstanding host for this tournament and should host it like every other year or so.

A round robin game between Sweden and Latvia was played in a sold-out out NHL arena, I mean that's just insane. Props to you guys.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Of the last 10 WJC held outside of Canada, your boys have only won 3.

That's a good stat for hitting a baseball, not bragging about dominating a sport. ;)

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
The Twin Cities or Detroit are the only places I can think of where it wouldn't flop -- aside from places that recently hosted the tournament. Seattle is a possibility if you are relying on fans from BC, but then why not just have it in BC?

People mention markets like Nashville or Tampa. They may do okay for the USA and (maybe) Canadian games if in a vacation destination, but what about when Russia plays Switzerland? Will 15,000 plus be in attendance as happened this week in Calgary? I don't think so. Those games could be played in a practice facility I guess. :dunno:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If I was a betting man, my guess is it will be in Detroit. Hockey Town USA and all.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Why? We have College Hockey rinks all over the city.

A NY hosted one would be great as well.

Its not just a matter of having college rinks it the support thats the key you split the groups up have only 2 games per city and maybe the support would be good.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Orlando/Miami or Detroit. But would Seattle be a good choice?

Seattle would be a poor choice. Lack of arenas and very little hockey fan-fare down there. It would be good for the economy there though as thousands of Vancouver hockey fans would make the trip down.

Seattle is simply not a hockey market, IMO Portland is MORE of a hockey market but even there it's not really a big deal at all.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Minnesota or Detroit would be the best options in my opinion.

I wonder what USA Hockey thinks about the prospect of having another road game on home soil as happens when the States play Canada? Still, the most important thing, particularly in these uncertain economic times, is to have the event be a success with great attendance, which means a border town (and I dont' mean Laredo! :laugh:).

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
US WJC Cities

My votes...
1. Bemidji, MN (State of Hockey, northern border, close to Winnepeg, NCAA contenders)
2. Detroit, MI (Hockey Town, borders Windsor, Ontario, huge OHL rivalries)
3. Colorado Springs, CO (Home of USAH, but potential stick in the eye if we lose- couldn't be closer to "home", two big NCAA teams with 60 miles)
4. Seattle, WA (close enough to Vancouver and spotlight for WHL dudes).

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Sweden and Finland are hockey mad and I really doubt there'd be small crowds in those games, especially for teams such as Latvia and Denmark who are nearby.

Last time Sweden hosted the WJC tournament in 2007, the average attendance for the games was 2 048. The 2004 tournament was played in Finland and the average attendance was 3 244.

Last edited:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Of the last 10 WJC held outside of Canada, your boys have only won 3.

That's a good stat for hitting a baseball, not bragging about dominating a sport. ;)

Yeah, we're worried about our stature as a hockey nation. How many have "your boys" won...anywhere?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad