WJC: Could the US host the WJC's again?

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
Going off the "Who cares more" thread, I'm curious if a US city could host the WJCs despite what happened Buffalo last year. Here's my thought process:

• It has to be relatively close to the border to allow Canadian tourists a relative ease of coming to the tournament. Since we all know the WJC is king to Canada, they are the target market.
  • Preferably a market that is exposed to junior hockey in some form.
  • Also preferably a market that could support NHL-size crowds for most of these games.

So, with that in mind, I'm looking at Detroit, preferably the Joe and Plymouth's home arena?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I understand it will be held in the U.S. in 2018.

Rumour has it USA Hockey wanted to try a southern location.

If that is accurate, I recommend Glendale (Phoenix) AZ.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I would like the Usa to host it again but i think its important to have it in a boarder town such as Detroit or hold it in a area that are lots of snow birds such as Tampa or Miami.

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If that's the case, why not Tampa? You have a large Canadian contingent that comes to Florida over Christmas/Boxing week as it is.

Tampa is fine. I just thought Phoenix because they have a new arena, there are a lot of Canadians in AZ and they are trying to build interest in Hockey.

truefan8993

Dec 20, 2011
I think it should held in Chicago or Boston, but if it was in a southern city I would say hold it in Nashville. The Preds avg over 97% in attendance and since you are in the heart of the south there will be plenty of patriotic fans wanting to root on the red white, and blue. It could be a big success if you market the juniors more and once they learn about it, the tourny came take off in this rapidly growing hockey area who has produce one nhl player already.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Certain places probably could. Buffalo was a good choice (hockey market plus proximity to Ontario). I could also see the Twin Cities, Rochester NY, Seattle, Portland and maybe even Hartford.

truefan8993

Dec 20, 2011
Certain places probably could. Buffalo was a good choice (hockey market plus proximity to Ontario). I could also see the Twin Cities, Rochester NY, Seattle, Portland and maybe even Hartford.
The Twin Cities would be a great place.

Mike2000z28

Dec 13, 2009
Philly, now montreal
I would like if the US hosted again, but most Americans don't give a crap about hockey. The one good thing is we get a non hostile audience and not a Pejorative Slured anyone but the US sheep audience.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd like to see it hosted somewhere new in Europe such as Germany or Great Britain - one of the lowly teams that qualify (if they do). It would give the lower teams a bit of a boost and help grow the sport in those nations rather than just having the same round-robin of countries with the odd Sweden, Russia or Finland thrown in. In my opinion it should be;

2012: Canada
2013: Russia
2014: Sweden
2015: USA
2016: Canada
2017: Germany/Switzerland/Slovakia/Czech Rep.
2018: Russia
2019: USA
2020: Canada

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
They could host it in Florida the next time it comes to the USA. Tampa's arena could be the main one and they could use the Amway Center in Orlando or the Sunrise Center in South Florida for the other arena.

NorthernILHawksFan

Feb 14, 2010
IL
Detroit is the best choice, by far. Good hockey town, and a border city that will draw a ton of Canadians.

The Twin Cities would probably be the second-best choice.

Don't understand the argument for holding it in a southern city. They don't care about the NHL, why would they care about the world juniors?

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Wherever it is in the U.S, I'd probably go. Hopefully it's not too close to the Canadian border..love the passion but had to deal with a lot of morons last year. I'd like for it to be in either New York (pipe dream), Boston, or Florida. Although close to the border Minnesota would be an excellent choice.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
What cut of the gate does USA Hockey get?

^ that will probably determine if it's a border city or not!

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
I'd like to see it hosted somewhere new in Europe such as Germany or Great Britain - one of the lowly teams that qualify (if they do). It would give the lower teams a bit of a boost and help grow the sport in those nations rather than just having the same round-robin of countries with the odd Sweden, Russia or Finland thrown in. In my opinion it should be;

2012: Canada
2013: Russia
2014: Sweden
2015: USA
2016: Canada
2017: Germany/Switzerland/Slovakia/Czech Rep.
2018: Russia
2019: USA
2020: Canada

2016 will be held in Finland. It was annouched year or two ago, I will try to find a source.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Wherever it is in the U.S, I'd probably go. Hopefully it's not too close to the Canadian border..love the passion but had to deal with a lot of morons last year. I'd like for it to be in either New York (pipe dream), Boston, or Florida. Although close to the border Minnesota would be an excellent choice.

I think for it to be a big success it has to be on the boarder or close to it.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I think it should held in Chicago or Boston, but if it was in a southern city I would say hold it in Nashville. The Preds avg over 97% in attendance and since you are in the heart of the south there will be plenty of patriotic fans wanting to root on the red white, and blue. It could be a big success if you market the juniors more and once they learn about it, the tourny came take off in this rapidly growing hockey area who has produce one nhl player already.

You really can't assume nhl attendance will result in world juinor attendance i have nop doubt Nashville would support the States game its the other games i think would be the concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad