Speculation: Could the Leafs be legitimate contenders?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm in favour of good drafting. you're the one putting all these weird qualifiers on it and trying to create contradictions(clumsily).

I've been crystal clear over the last number of months...which is what I told you a while back when you made the same remark .

I don't know either. Why are you asking me? Did I ever say I wanted to bring back the same players year after year?

You really have to stay more consistent . You go from wanting to draft our own core to saying other teams high picks are good and now you're back to drafting our own core.

You're the one who's putting qualifiers on a draft rebuild while ignoring we've only picked outside the bottom 10 once in years . It's like you can't get over the fact that Burke failed and are now living in some parallel universe where the team is a consistent contender and fans just want to make changes for the sake of it .

You don't seem to want to move any of our core so i guess you believe the way to a cup is to continue to shuffle the role players.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
The Leafs need to be patient and take it slowly for once. You can't become a contender overnight. I for one am pretty happy that the Leafs didn't break the bank and made very conservative moves this off-season. Let's take it slow, build through the draft, develop our kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

a a ron

Jan 11, 2011
Winterpeg
Franson is very valuable to this team. He is clutch too. 2 goals in game 7. 4.25 million for 4 years is something nonis should do!

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Franson is very valuable to this team. He is clutch too. 2 goals in game 7. 4.25 million for 4 years is something nonis should do!

are you high? hell no. i want this dumbass dman off the team, and you want to reward him with a new and expensive contract? wth? :shakehead

edit: unless you meant 4.25 in total, making the avg out to 1.06M per, then yea maybe, but 4 years is still too long.

Tyler Biggs*

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leafs-sign-ex-canuck-santorelli-to-1-year-deal/

This is a good depth signing, so is Komarov, and bringing in Polak, hoping Robidas works out and stays healthy. Phaneuf IS not the problem with the team, he got paid what any other team would give him if he went UFA, he is not easily replaced and shouldn't be moved until that's sorted. Half the d-corps was playing injured ALL season last year, not too mention Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, and JVR were injured post Olympics. Give everyone a fresh start, healthy with new asst coach's we will be competing again. Also Bernier may not be healthy again all next season so we have to be prepared. Keeping Reims is the safest bet, other replacements are downgrades like Vokoun, Khabibulin.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leafs-sign-ex-canuck-santorelli-to-1-year-deal/

This is a good depth signing, so is Komarov, and bringing in Polak, hoping Robidas works out and stays healthy. Phaneuf IS not the problem with the team, he got paid what any other team would give him if he went UFA, he is not easily replaced and shouldn't be moved until that's sorted. Half the d-corps was playing injured ALL season last year, not too mention Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, and JVR were injured post Olympics. Give everyone a fresh start, healthy with new asst coach's we will be competing again. Also Bernier may not be healthy again all next season so we have to be prepared. Keeping Reims is the safest bet, other replacements are downgrades like Vokoun, Khabibulin.

Now the whole ****ing team was injured . :laugh::laugh::laugh:

How many years is this fans base going to rinse and repeat tired excuses to justify failure.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Now the whole ****ing team was injured . :laugh::laugh::laugh:

How many years is this fans base going to rinse and repeat tired excuses to justify failure.

If the Leafs could play hockey as well as some of their fans make excuses for them they'd be a dynasty by now.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
This is the year to tank let's not forget

this is the truth. this is probably our best opportunity to get a top line center. even after mcdavid/eichle there are several REALLY good center prospects. if we finished int he 5-7 range we should be able to get a center prospect better then nylander imo.

i dont think it would take very much for us to tank either. bernier or phaneuf being out for an extended period of time should do it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
this is the truth. this is probably our best opportunity to get a top line center. even after mcdavid/eichle there are several REALLY good center prospects. if we finished int he 5-7 range we should be able to get a center prospect better then nylander imo.

i dont think it would take very much for us to tank either. bernier or phaneuf being out for an extended period of time should do it.

Reimer carried them to the playoffs in the shortened season.

Mind you that was probably a better team?

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Projected lineups:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Komarov-Holland-Frattin
Bodie-Kontiala-Santorelli
Orr

Phaneuf-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Granberg
Franson

Bernier
Brodeur

I can easily see that lineup going deep into the playoffs.

Santorelli is not going to be playing 4th line wing. I expect him to compete with Kadri for 2nd line spot and if that doesn't pan out, he's definitely much better than Clarkson on the wing.

Lupul-Santorelli-Kadri

^^^ Makes a LOT more sense.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Reimer carried them to the playoffs in the shortened season.

Mind you that was probably a better team?

i cant dispute that reimer played REALLY well that season but one season does not make a career. reimer also has some serious technical issues with his game that i believe as time goes on will be exposed which is part of the reason why bernier was brought in.

reimer has a lot of heart in net, no question but his catching glove speed is below nhl average imo. he also has problems shoot/playing the puck. imo he also has problems with tracking the puck. how many times does he look stunned like a deer in headlights trying to figure out where the puck is.

reimer can be good in stretches which is what you want out of a backup goalie. out of a starter you should expect consistently playing solid. i personally and i suspect i am not alone worry when reimer is in net. even in his stretch where he was playing amazing i was nervous. (to be fair though it could be left over trauma from watching toskala, the monster, the bus, one hip giggy, gerber, and whatever other jersey the leafs hung from the goal posts)

Tyler Biggs*

Not that I think the Leafs are much better than last year, but the number of people saying 'all they did was change up their 3rd and 4th lines' is astonishing. How many teams, successful teams, ran 2-3 lines all year? Maybe one of the reasons the Leafs keep collapsing in the last half is that having a 4th line that plays 2-3 min a game is unsustainable over a full season?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You understand that draft picks like Bergeron, Lucic, and Krecji are incredibly rare for that slot?

Obviously not.

Irregardless, why then would you be supportive of a management regime that clearly DOES NOT PUT VALUE in these assets, as proven by their track record.

Holland for a 2nd rounder
Bernier for a 2nd rounder
Bolland for a 2nd rounder
Biggs for 30th and 39th overall.
Kessel for 4 draft picks (2nd overall, 9th overall, 32nd overall, 3rd roun pick)
Steckel for a 4th rounder

And those are just the one's off the top of my head.

How can you possibly reconcile the two arguments your trying to pump here?

You can't support management and simultaneously be pissed at the scouts for working with so little in the first place.

Your frustration should be directed at those responsible and it isn't the scouts. It's these idiot managers that run the show here in Toronto that for some unexplained reason, you support (especially Brian Burke)

whats the point, that poster is lost in la la land

for starters our number of 2nd and 3rd round slots to use for his grand delusional way of doing things, just don't happen to stick around come draft day.

but his entire premise is built on the rock sturdy premise, "oh we just need to draft better":laugh:

like I have stated many times, 'WAKE ME UP WHEN WE START TO DRAFT LIKE THE BIG BOYS" till then I'll shoot for the higher odds of success and that top 7 picks.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Not that I think the Leafs are much better than last year, but the number of people saying 'all they did was change up their 3rd and 4th lines' is astonishing. How many teams, successful teams, ran 2-3 lines all year? Maybe one of the reasons the Leafs keep collapsing in the last half is that having a 4th line that plays 2-3 min a game is unsustainable over a full season?

That was on coaching not because we didn't have the players. Plenty of forwards in the AHL could have replaced Orr and McLaren and provided quality minutes.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

It's possible that the team "fits" better this time around and it's even entirely possible that this team makes the playoffs. The thing is though, a lot of things need to go the Leafs way for them to get close to the playoffs this year imo. So many moving parts and so many questions on how the team reacts with all the changes.

I hope everything works out and the Leafs are good this year, but won't be disappointed if the results are much of the same or even worse. Until then though, I'll be cheering for them unlike a lot of posters who already wish for the Leafs demise.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
That was on coaching not because we didn't have the players. Plenty of forwards in the AHL could have replaced Orr and McLaren and provided quality minutes.

no they couldn't if the leafs were slammed up against the cap and they had no more exemptions / LTIR's to use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad