Speculation: Could the Leafs be legitimate contenders?

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
Projected lineups:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Komarov-Holland-Frattin
Bodie-Kontiala-Santorelli
Orr

Phaneuf-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Granberg
Franson

Bernier
Brodeur

I can easily see that lineup going deep into the playoffs.

I'd check out other teams rosters before thinking that. I think this will be a season about learning and development. Sad news for us Leaf fans but if this team can make the playoffs don't expect much out of them.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
If Kadri can manage to not be crap, Gardiner and Rielly take leaps that I think they will, Bernier doesn’t get injured, Komarov pisses people off, Dion plays less minutes and doesn’t gas towards the end of the season, and Lupul doesn’t suck, this team isn’t horrible. Lots of ifs :laugh:

All that being said, Carlyle is still the coach so I’d expect us to miss the playoffs.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Projected lineups:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Komarov-Holland-Frattin
Orr

Phaneuf-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Granberg
Franson

Bernier
Brodeur

Polak is NOT A TOP PAIRING DEFENDER!!!

Alright???

They have already said he is going to be a 4 to 5 guy.

If anything they traded Gunnar to open up a spot on the top pairing for Gards or Rielly and figured they would get a bigger body for the bottom pairing.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
It will be really tough to tell how good this lineup is until after the first 10-20 games. I'm optimistic, but cautiously so.

Rielly4Captain

Apr 9, 2012
Projected lineups:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Komarov-Holland-Frattin
Orr

Phaneuf-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Granberg
Franson

Bernier
Brodeur

I would swap Clarkson and Frattin. I also don't think Brodeur will play anywhere that isn't New Jersey, I think he would retire before that. That's all i would change from your lineup.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This is nice. Things are insane still, but it seems to have went to the other end of the scale with insane positivity.

Keep believing OP, don't let anyone bring ya down

Rielly4Captain

Apr 9, 2012
Polak is NOT A TOP PAIRING DEFENDER!!!

Alright???

They have already said he is going to be a 4 to 5 guy.

If anything they traded Gunnar to open up a spot on the top pairing for Gards or Rielly and figured they would get a bigger body for the bottom pairing.

You make a good point. It would be nice to see Rielly or Gardiner up there on the top, while Polak moves slightly lower

CalgaryLeaf*

If this team can tighten up their defense and keep the shots down they can compete for a playoff spot in the East...The Eastern conference is the weak sister to the Western Conf.

Hopefully Bernier repeats his strong play from last year or even <gasp> improves!...Strong goaltending goes a long LONG way.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Contenders? Likely not ... Should be a competitive team though and that should take them further than where a lot of naysayers will believe

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
We will make the playoffs unless someone makes a thread like...

"It will take a massive choke to not make the playoffs" or something like that.:sarcasm:

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I like how polarized leaf nation is. It's either bottom of the barrel or cream of the crop for you people. :laugh:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Everything needs to go right.

Bernier needs to do what he did last year.
Kadri needs to take the next step defensively, and in the dot.
Rielly and Gardiner need to play outstanding.
Phaneuf needs to be consistent
Kessel/JVR/Bozak need to be consistent as well.
Depth scorers need to bring consistent secondary production.
Clarkson needs to bounce back.

I can see us contending for the playoffs... but for the cup? Doubtful. Even if the horse shoe up our ass carried us to the finals, we'd get eaten alive by the big 5 in the WC.

So no.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Absolutely not! But with the East so wide open maybe we get lucky and pull a Rangers/Devils run off but the same could be said about teams like the Islanders, Blue Jackets.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
essentially the same roster as the team that finished 8th worst in the league with the addition of some depth players, a 37 year old dman and the same coach?
no they are not legitimate contenders....unless you mean for 8th spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad