Could the Caps be a dark horse to win the cup.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
The ‘15 Rangers series was the only one I’d say the Caps really choked away. They were the best team the second half of the season after Trotz got his system implemented. They were something like 20-3 to finish the season. Then they were up 3-1 in the series and 1-0 with a minute left in Game 5. And lost the series. That one hurt. f*** the three years leading up to the Cup were brutal.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
The ‘15 Rangers series was the only one I’d say the Caps really choked away. They were the best team the second half of the season after Trotz got his system implemented. They were something like 20-3 to finish the season. Then they were up 3-1 in the series and 1-0 with a minute left in Game 5. And lost the series. That one hurt. **** the three years leading up to the Cup were brutal.
The ot loss in game 7 of the '15 NYR series pissed me off more than anything to this day.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
The only real choke job was 2010 vs. Montreal.
I tend to agree. There have been other "bad beats", but that one ranks way up there, if not #1.

But here's what many seem to forget. The very next playoff series the overachieving Habs and Halak defeated the defending SC champs !
B2b they beat the reigning Prez Trophy and SC champs in tough 7 game series. Exhausted they lost to a Philly team that even honest Flyer fans will admit weren't as strong as Caps & Pens. But that's NHL playoffs - upsets aren't scarce.

A hot goalie can win you one, maybe two upset series wins. Three in a row is not very likely. And btw so far Halak is having a very good season, near the top in GAA and SV%.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
The only real choke job was 2010 vs. Montreal.

Disagree. A choke would have been playing like crap taking like 20 SOG, the pressure clearly getting to you. If you're firing 40 SOG every game you're playing fine, it's not your fault Halak turned into Hasek.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At least on this page Ive seen no explanation why the Caps would be so low as to be a dark horse? Their climbing the standings. They have almost the entire team returning. Their top players are all playing like stars.

Why would anyone just dismiss them against TB or TO or whoever? I am not prepared to call anyone a favorite right now, but I would consider Washington totally legit

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
Again how is that relevant to what I’m saying? Did I give that as my reason? No. Reason being is that they have choked away tons of opportunities in the past, plus there are better teams than them this year

Says who?? You?? The only team in the league that has any ground to say they are better than the Caps is the Lightning..

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
A lot of talk about the Maple Leafs and Lightning being the favorites but are the Caps the dark horse pick. First concern people are going to bring up is Holtby. All i can say about that is not to worry. The one thing about Holtby is in his career, even when he is struggling, the guy always takes it to the next level when the lights shine the brightest. The biggest concern is the Caps defense. If they can get that fixed, do you guys like the Caps as the dark horse pick in the East and maybe win the cup again.

Dark Horse? They are the defending champs. You gotta beat the man to be the man. I'd love a rematch with them. Tampa just seems like they are on a mission this year. Stammer looks the best he has in years...years.

Reactions: Devonator

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Why not the Preds/Jets or Leafs?

Leafs defense is a mess and they'd be ground into powder in a 7 game series by a big hitting team like the caps, Jets goaltending is nonexistent this year but they can match them everywhere else. Preds match well with them and have their number, no idea why everyone is sleeping on them this year.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017

Listen, everyone has their opinions on who is better than who but my point is what have the Caps actually done to make people think they are not a top contender?? They just won the Stanley Cup in dominating fashion and lost a 4th line center and Grubauer, you can argue that we have upgraded on those positions. We are also at the top of the Metro while having major pieces missing for a large amounts of time this year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'd say the Pens last year was the strongest cup contender in recent memory in terms of defending champs - but mostly because they had won 2 straight (having Crosby + Malkin always helps too).

But i'd say Washington looks very, very strong to me as a cup champ this year in terms of odds to repeat. Maybe a bit less so than some of the Chi/LA teams - but stronger than just about anyone else.

Ovi looks extremely loose out there with no pressure and his production is up a lot.

I think Tampa is the team to beat on paper but I think Washington is actually a top contender. One of the top 4 contenders in the league.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
I'd say the Pens last year was the strongest cup contender in recent memory in terms of defending champs - but mostly because they had won 2 straight (having Crosby + Malkin always helps too).

But i'd say Washington looks very, very strong to me as a cup champ this year in terms of odds to repeat. Maybe a bit less so than some of the Chi/LA teams - but stronger than just about anyone else.

Ovi looks extremely loose out there with no pressure and his production is up a lot.

I think Tampa is the team to beat on paper but I think Washington is actually a top contender. One of the top 4 contenders in the league.

Yeah Tampa was a favorite on paper last year as well and lets be honest here, they were outplayed by the Caps that entire series ( except maybe game 3)

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Leafs have terrible D and need to win a series first.

Preds don't have a 1C or any game breaker up front at all and that matters. Yeah their D is amazing but great O beats great D every time. Look what happened to them vs the pens in 17, they got torn a new one. Caps would do the same thing.

Jets have the stars up front and their D is good but Hellebuyck is unproven and a huge question mark. If he plays like last RS then sure, but if he plays like this season then they aren't going far.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yes the defending champion that has their cup winning team intact is a dark horse.

Pretty much this.

I'm surprised the OP didn't add that the Caps would be lucky to make the playoffs with the thread title being as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad