Could the Caps be a dark horse to win the cup.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
A lot of talk about the Maple Leafs and Lightning being the favorites but are the Caps the dark horse pick. First concern people are going to bring up is Holtby. All i can say about that is not to worry. The one thing about Holtby is in his career, even when he is struggling, the guy always takes it to the next level when the lights shine the brightest. The biggest concern is the Caps defense. If they can get that fixed, do you guys like the Caps as the dark horse pick in the East and maybe win the cup again.
Not a dark horse, I think it's more of a "goes without saying" type thing.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The Caps are not a dark horse. They are a favorite to win it all no matter where they place in the PO's. Just like the Pens were and are today.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Lol OV on the Caps start to the regular season “try better, we not suck.” They will turn it up a notch when it counts, defending champs with similar roster.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
For me its Tampa
Once again the Cup will come out of the East and it's going to be decided again between the Bolts and Caps. This is basically Tampa's last kick at the cup as they are currently constructed, they simply can't retain all the talent they have, make or break and that's dangerous but the Caps know they can beat them and they've done it with this team already.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
Win the cup 2 years in a row? I’d bet a lot of $ that they won’t. Although it is as if they had a mental block when it comes to the playoffs for the last however many years. Maybe the cup can push that away.

A team win back to back cups?? When was the last time that happened? :sarcasm:

Reactions: varank

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Calgary will rattle a few cages in the playoffs this year. They're my dark horse. Probably won't go on to win it all, but I think they'll exceed expectations.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
A team win back to back cups?? When was the last time that happened? :sarcasm:

Again how is that relevant to what I’m saying? Did I give that as my reason? No. Reason being is that they have choked away tons of opportunities in the past, plus there are better teams than them this year

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Could the defending champions who are currently #1 in their division be a "dark horse" for the Cup? Well that's quite the question...

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't think the OP knows what a 'Dark Horse' is.

It's a team that emerges to prominence that didn't seem likely to succeed. aka a Cinderella Team.

Montreal, Edmonton, or Minnesota could be considered Dark Horses. A Team leading their division can not be.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Caps will be a tough match up again. I hope we dont have to play them again, but would be interesting to see how our guys bounced back from losing to them last year.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Again how is that relevant to what I’m saying? Did I give that as my reason? No. Reason being is that they have choked away tons of opportunities in the past, plus there are better teams than them this year

are there though?

the only team that's been clearly better is Tampa,after that they're right there at the top this season with a few other teams

Reactions: wickedwitch

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The Ovie Hart thread makes a lot more sense than this. I could see it if they were still 3rd in the Metro or something, but now? Nah.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
are there though?

the only team that's been clearly better is Tampa,after that they're right there at the top this season with a few other teams

Tampa, Toronto, Preds, Jets I’d take any day

They are in the Avs, Flames, Bruins group imo

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Yes, OP. The Stanley Cup winning team that has been among the favorites to win the cups for the past half-decade is the "Dark Horse" lol. This isn't a silly question.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Losing to strong Pens teams that went on to win the SC or strong contenders like NYR is "choking". By your definition of choking, about half the teams that make the playoffs each year "choked". I think the Caps have somewhat underachieved in the playoffs, chocking is one of those overused sports board pejoratives.

I doubt the Caps repeat b/c there is much parity in the NHL and upsets are relatively common in hockey. Amazes me how many fans act like it's still a 6 or 12 team league. Just extremely difficult to win four straight playoff series - even if you have one of the leagues better reg seasons. Currently Bolts (#1), Leafs, Preds, Jets, Flames too, are having strong reg seasons. However at best only one will win the SC... the other four will have choked :DD

Reactions: Hoek

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Losing to strong Pens teams that went on to win the SC or strong contenders like NYR is "choking". By your definition of choking, about half the teams that make the playoffs each year "choked". I think the Caps have somewhat underachieved in the playoffs, choking is one of those overused sports board pejoratives.
I couldn't agree more. No one can ever lose anymore, everyone has to "choke". Almost seems like every team who doesn't win the cup every year "chokes" lol. It's ridiculous.

Toronto vs. Boston in 2013 is a "choke".

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Could the defending Stanley Cup champions be a dark horse to win the Stanley Cup?

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
Their offense looks as good as it ever has over the last decade and when it comes time to actually start selling out to block shots when the real hockey starts they will be fine defensively too. Although, 11th in the league Goals Against at the moment isn’t exactly terrible. I really hope The Pens get the wild card that sends them over to the Atlantic so you all can deal with them.

At least they aren’t the Philly Eagles whom wont even get a title defense and will have their title stripped from them when the NFL playoffs start because they aren’t even going to make the tournament :laugh:.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Losing to strong Pens teams that went on to win the SC or strong contenders like NYR is "choking". By your definition of choking, about half the teams that make the playoffs each year "choked". I think the Caps have somewhat underachieved in the playoffs, chocking is one of those overused sports board pejoratives.

I doubt the Caps repeat b/c there is much parity in the NHL and upsets are relatively common in hockey. Amazes me how many fans act like it's still a 6 or 12 team league. Just extremely difficult to win four straight playoff series - even if you have one of the leagues better reg seasons. Currently Bolts (#1), Leafs, Preds, Jets, Flames too, are having strong reg seasons. However at best only one will win the SC... the other four will have choked :DD

Truthfully can’t argue with that, I was wrong there. They certainly have underachieved numerous times, I can’t recall a “choke” in a series although there probably was a couple throughout.

Apologies, and also well worded.

Reactions: philip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad