Rumor: Could Richards Return... & How Would You Feel About That?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lombardi is going to be a laughing stock if he buys Richards out in summer 2015 and incurs $21,416,670 in cap penalties when he could have done it this summer without any penalties.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Would love him back but only if it was basically a no brainer situation, like dumping back a bad contract (Vinny) and having a large amount retained

It won't happen

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
The one good that would come out of it is it would allow us to solve the Couturian Knot. People keep talking about how rich we are in centers, but it's not entirely true. What we need is a defensive center to take over Coots' spot on the 3rd and allow Coots to transmorgify into the world-beating dominant offensive powerhouse die-hards think it is his destiny to become.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I just don't understand the want for him back? We already have a log jam at center with a player who naturally plays center is on the left wing. Our best forward prospect is a center who most likely will be ready sometime in January if he keeps trending the way he is or for certain next year. If you bring Richards in, you play him at the position he is most effective, which is center.

If we did that, we would have:

Giroux
Couts
Vinny
Richards
Bellamare
Laughton

All these players are practically NHL ready or established NHLers. There just isn't a need to bring back him honestly. We aren't getting the Richards we had in Philly either, we are getting the 30 year old who plays a physical game and doesn't train extremely hard in the off season to combat that. He is slowly deteriorating due to his style of play but with free agency someone would give him 3-4 year deal in the 4 million range. It just won't be worth it.

Also, I don't know why him signing would scatter the haters here, it would give them more ammo because he won't be the player people remember. It just wouldn't be worth the headache at all.

If we moved Vinny just to bring in Richards it would be one of the more ass backwards things this organization could do. Get ride of one terrible contract for another. I don't think Richards is getting bought out, they had their opportunity and should have used it. We all want the Flyers to stay away from free agents and signing players out of the organization to big contract but once a former players name comes up our opinions change? Patience and build from within.

Last edited:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
guys, the flyers would never sign or trade for an old flyer that's a bit over the hill and has his best days behind him. nope, never happens.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Lombardi is going to be a laughing stock if he buys Richards out in summer 2015 and incurs $21,416,670 in cap penalties when he could have done it this summer without any penalties.

I'd gladly have a GM as a laughing stock that won 2 of the last 3 Cups. If Hextall takes this team to two Cup championships in the next ten years (let alone three), I don't care if the team turns into the Edmonton Oilers over the next decade.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I would do it, but under circumstances that would never happen. Those circumstances require one or two of Vinny, Umberger, and Grossmann heading to LA in return and/or LA eating a fair portion of his remaining contract.

edit: Carchidi would also have to greet Richie at the airport, get down on his knees and apologize for being a POS beat writer

As LA is looking into the option as a way to cut salary cap, it would make no sense for them.

As others have mentioned, Richie is a 3rd line center at best anymore, he's not worth that contract for what he brings. Hell, he was a 3rd line center when he left, usually centering a line of crap (Nodl, Carcillo, Versteeg, etc).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I do. Watching the Phillies sucks.

Shew, I like watching the Phillies when they suck. Being a disgruntled baseball fan was my favorite pastime growing up. When they started winning it was great, but after they won in 2008, I've longed for these days of sucktitude!

As for the Flyers, I wouldn't enjoy the team sucking, but I would trade it for a Cup (or two). If I could make a deal with the devil for the Flyers to win the Cup this season in exchange for missing the playoffs for the next decade, make that deal with the devil with the devil.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I doubt Richie would even come back here, and I don't blame him at all, the circus that is Philly media would eat this up and would never ever stop asking him stupid questions, plus at best he's a 3rd line C anymore and his cap hit isn't that friendly, BUT if LA takes Vinny, Umberger, and Grossmann back I do it in a sec!!!

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
No to Mr. Offseason

I would hate Hextall if he brought him back...seriously.

This is purely an unfounded rumor....

Eklund....:laugh:

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
loldog-funny-do-not-want-underwear.jpg

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
I know Eklund had his ties or whatever you want to call it to the Flyers but I am not buying it. As I said in the misc. thread if LA is looking to unload Richards it would be for a clear salary dump. the Flyers cannot give them that at all. these 2 teams really are not good trade partners.
so I am calling ******** on this "rumor"

When was the last time the guy got something right? It's been a while.

Trade makes no sense given that Hextall was willing to give up a better player in Hartnell to get a player with a more manageable contract. This trade would basically put him back to where he started this summer. I can't see why he'd do it.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Only way I would want him back is if Voynov is reinstated and its Richards + Voynov for Umberger, Vinny, Grossmann. Thats a fair deal right? lol

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
If Vinny and Umberger weren't here, I'd definitely consider it. Richards could be a good mentor for guys like Couturier and Laughton.

But there's no way Hextall is looking at doing something like this. His only trade so far was to create cap space; I don't expect him to turn around and undo that now.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Loved him while he was here, but the way he was sent packing, I can't imagine his heart would even be in it if he did come. Not worth it IMO

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'll put it this way, we have no room for him. He would take up a space that Laughton would be taking up on the roster and I can't see him working as a wing. So no.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I love Richards, favorite player in the league hands down. But he won't be back, I'd welcome him back with open arms but not at his current contract, unless we were able to dump Vinny and Umbrger while taking no cap back.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Well, he's a center which we have too many of, and he makes $5.75M for the next five seasons, and we have no cap space.

If he was bought out then I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back as a free agent and tossing him on the wing to lessen his wear and tear if it was cheap. But, if he's a free agent he can absolutely get more money elsewhere, so I can't see it under any scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad