Rumor: Could Richards Return... & How Would You Feel About That?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I'm surprised that after almost a full day has gone by and nobody has posted about this... Ekland has blogged an update on what others had talked about going into this Season... The Kings moving Mike Richards... I know many Hockey Fans pooh-pooh Eklund's rumors... but even many of those believe that he has a keen eye and ear when it comes to his/our Flyers.

Below is a quote from his Blog today which lists the Flyers among the teams that are interested in Richards... The question is why would a Cap strapped team take on $5.75M and relieve another Cap Strapped team of that burdon?... Also, does Hexy love him that much that he would disrupt the team he says he loves to make it so, both in what he would have to give up -- low Cap, so young roster players and/or good prospects -- And would Richards fit in with THIS team as it is now? And what will happen with Carter when Richards is moved? We cannot take on Carter's Cap also. ;)

Seems Ek is saying that Mike would be clutch come the PostSeason... like Briere... which would be very good... but with a more even keel being manned under Hextall wouldn't this be stepping back to the big move mentality that the Organization is now preaching?

Source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...LYERS-like-Mike-Richards-Buzzcast-1pm/1/63927

It is no secret that the Kings have a Cap issue, and an even bigger issue on the horizon with Kopitar due for a HUGE raise. Last summer the Kings came very close to buying out Center Mike Richards but Lombardi, to his credit, kept Mike Richards and promised to find another way to make it work...but Richards had to dedicate himself in his offseason conditioning...which he did.

The misconception about Mike Richards is he isn't valuable and he is overpaid. Nothing could be further from the truth. Richards is extremely valuable..but on a team that is intensely deep and doesn't need him...although I would debate that as well. Richards is a clutch player who is a big part of the chemistry experiment that makes the LA Kings a different team when the playoffs hit.

Richards is the guy you want on the ice when all is on the line. Anyone who remembers game 1 of the Kings/Ducks series last year gets it. And this goes back to his days in Philly and even back to Kitchener. Richards is adored by his teammates and the ultimate leader. His contract is 5.75 for five more years. That contract isn't horrible and if he was a UFA he would do better.

Many teams are keeping a close eye on this and some teams will have to make other moves to make this possible, but already I am hearing Nashville (e3), Pittsburgh (e2), Winnipeg (e2), Ottawa (e2), Toronto (e3) and Philly(e3) (YES I KNOW, but Hextall is HUGE proponent) have their feelers out.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
It's actually being discussed in the Misc Thread.

I'm against it if he isn't bought out first.

Thanks Beef... I would have thought that it deserved a thread of its own... haven't been to the Misc. Thread today. LOL

His being bought out would of course make a big difference but would take a major asset out of the Kings hands and control... and it doesn't seem like that's going to happen, so it's trade or forget it.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yes. Simply because:

c7666898-6f04-428b-bd88-6efbc8699844.jpg

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Ehh, I like Mike Richards, but I don't believe he can still play at the level we would need him to.

And no one in their right mind would give him MORE than 5.75 mil, so I don't know what the hell he is referring to in that blog

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I know Eklund had his ties or whatever you want to call it to the Flyers but I am not buying it. As I said in the misc. thread if LA is looking to unload Richards it would be for a clear salary dump. the Flyers cannot give them that at all. these 2 teams really are not good trade partners.
so I am calling ******** on this "rumor"

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Richards has no trade value with that contract. I do not want him. The cap space can be used elsewhere.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Mike Richards at this point of his career is a complete luxury.
He is basically a 3rd line center @5.75M and his style of play won't let him age well which makes his contract even worse.

On the other hand, there are teams that are way too soft and lacking leadership which is why LA might still find a taker and get something reasonably valuable in return.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Mike Richards at this point of his career is a complete luxury.
He is basically a 3rd line center @5.75M and his style of play won't let him age well which makes his contract even worse.

On the other hand, there are teams that are way too soft and lacking leadership which is why LA might still find a taker and get something reasonably valuable in return.

Like Umberger and a 4th:sarcasm:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The Flyers just got rid of Hartnell for among other things his lack of commitment to fitness and the length of his contract. So the Flyers are going to take a guy who has even a worst commitment to fitness and a longer contract than Hartnell with a bigger caphit. Makes a lot of sense.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The Flyers just got rid of Hartnell for among other things his lack of commitment to fitness and the length of his contract. So the Flyers are going to take a guy who has even a worst commitment to fitness and a longer contract than Hartnell with a bigger caphit. Makes a lot of sense.
Amen. Pass on burnt out shells.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If the Flyers found takers for Vinny and Umberger, and if Richards was bought out by the Kings and thus available at a Vinny/Umberger-like cap number, sure.

Otherwise, no.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yea I wouldnt do it either. He is a 3rd/4th line center who is overpaid.

No thanks.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
No, unfortunately... him coming here would be a circus. He'd be treated more as a celebrity than a hockey player and it'd be a huge distraction. It sucks we can't bring a solid player back because of our media and **** but hey, we just don't need that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If it wasn't for the fact we have no place to put him and no cap space for it, I'd love it if only just to make all his haters cringe. Scatter like rats.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bringing back Richards now that he's well past his best would only give the haters ammunition. So I don't think you would love it.

And the Kings won't buy him out this summer. The cap penalties a few years from now would be huge. What they should do is trade him to a team like Edmonton or Calgary.

Mike Richards buyout from CapGeek.com

2015-16: $1,216,667
2016-17: $1,716,667
2017-18: $2,716,667
2018-19: $4,216,667
2019-20: $4,216,667

2020-21: $1,466,667
2021-22: $1,466,667
2022-23: $1,466,667
2023-24: $1,466,667
2024-25: $1,466,667

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd be interested depending on the situation (i.e., what it would cost, if the Kings were retaining salary, if he was signed after being bought out, etc.).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad