Sportsnet Could Penguins give the Bruins trouble if they make it into the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxcrossb

Mar 29, 2023
Osaka
I don’t know why we’d be scared of any team in particular. All season long it’s been “tough game coming up”, “guys won’t have a lot of rest for this one”, “we’re sitting key guys tonight”, but they keep winning. With basically nothing to play for they are 9-1-0. Obviously there is luck involved, but the main concern is the team itself. We need our goal tenders to not shrink at the moment, stable rotations with all the new guys, etc.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The blue jackets took out the lightning a few years back, it would be foolish to write the the Penguins off

it’s very unlikely…but it’s within the realm of possibility

Reactions: fin8 and lopey

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The blue jackets took out the lightning a few years back, it would be foolish to write the the Penguins off

it’s very unlikely…but it’s within the realm of possibility
Anything is possible especially in sports.

My biggest issue with stuff like this is that it is all coming off as people are now doubting the Bruins and looking for a reason to be negative. It is coming across as people are expecting the Bruins to lose.

Again anything can happen in the playoffs but I have no reason to believe that this team won't continue to have stellar goaltending and will be able to roll 4 lines effectively. I certainly do not question their effort or experience of the leadership core.

It won't be easy but until they give me a legitimate reason to worry, aside from the powerplay, I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride like I have all season.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I suppose if the Penguins crash and injure BOTH of our goaltenders; injure Bergeron, Krejci, and Pastranak; if the Bruins drink heavily before each game; and Coach Montgomery quits hockey to become a Buddhist monk - then I think the Pens force a Game 7.

Have the Pens ever given the Bruins problems in the playoffs?
Yes.

See: 1991; 1992.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
No. Every #1 team easily disposes of every #8 team. And a team with Crosby and Malkin is completely incapable of giving any team trouble. And NHL series never go more than 4-5 games max. And the games are played on paper.

JFC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
No. Every #1 team easily disposes of every #8 team. And a team with Crosby and Malkin is completely incapable of giving any team trouble. And NHL series never go more than 4-5 games max. And the games are played on paper.

JFC
Not always, I believe the Kings were the #8 seed in 2012 and won the Cup.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I think Pittsburgh wins a series against the Bs in OT of game 7 after McCauley puts the Pens on a PP due to a phantom tripping call on Marchand. Ullmark ends up being the whipping boy because he lets in softie after softie in the series. Book it!

Reactions: 13Hockey

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Notice how neither of them made a single point on HOW the Pens could beat the Bruins?

If your best argument is “anything could happen” then I suggest you rethink your stance.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Yes.

See: 1991; 1992.

Fair enough. But unless they find a vintage Delorian with a functional flux capacitor and kidnap a prime Lemieux, Stevens, Mullen, Jagr, Coffey….. That team was a whole different animal than what is currently sitting in the igloo.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I want the Pens in the first round, bring on Malkin, Crosby, Latang and Company. It'll be just the recipe for this Bruins team to enter this years playoffs. There'll be no let down going up against Sid. They'll come out hells bell with no looking back. Imo there couldn't be a better first Round opponent and with that said it doesn't go past 5 games and the Bruins move on to the Leafs/lightning winner.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
Only thing I really worry about is a team like NYI injuring our key guys, or even one of the last regular season games being against the Caps (for that very same reason).

Reactions: BMC

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
What amazes me is that I put the Penguins, Capitals, and Bruins all into the same bucket coming into the season.

Past their prime.

Maybe they limp into the playoffs, but don’t pose any significant threat to make any kind of noise.

Boy, was I wrong.

Sweeney found ways to retool around an aging core.

Pittsburgh and Washington brought the band back together and are exactly who I thought they’d be.

Reactions: BMC

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Not always, I believe the Kings were the #8 seed in 2012 and won the Cup.
There were so many factors in why that run was unique and why they're the only ones, I believe to do it. Darryl Sutter getting hired mid-season was the kick in the ass that team of young vets needed. That, and their toughest opponent was probably the "high on their own supply" Canucks in the first round, who they destroyed in a five game series in a similar way to what the Bruins did the previous spring. Then the playoff green and injured Blues, Coyotes and Devils is about as easy a path as you can get. Not that that much mattered that team was good. Their 2014 cup run was much more impressive. The 2014 WCF against Chicago may be one of the best playoff series I've ever watched.

My long winded point is none of these teams are an eighth seed of that caliber. If the Bs have any trouble with any of these potential opponents they probably have bigger problems.

Reactions: caz16

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
What amazes me is that I put the Penguins, Capitals, and Bruins all into the same bucket coming into the season.

Past their prime.

Maybe they limp into the playoffs, but don’t pose any significant threat to make any kind of noise.

Boy, was I wrong.

Sweeney found ways to retool around an aging core.

Pittsburgh and Washington brought the band back together and are exactly who I thought they’d be.

Not to downplay Crosby’s skills as a player, or pretend I understand his ability as a leader, but I think it speaks volumes just to what extreme this Bruins team is playing FOR Bergeron.

You don’t see this sort of thing often, and you certainly aren’t seeing it on the Caps or Pens. We’re so damn lucky to have, and have had a player like Bergy on this team.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Let me fix that title: "Leafs Nation prays for Penguins to give the Bruins trouble if they make it into the playoffs"
Yeah, the Leafs will have a cakewalk against the TBL and beat them in 4 games. Goal differential will be 40-0 for the mighty MIGHTY Toronto Maple Leafs.
In the meantime, the (once mighty but still formidable Pittsburgh Penguins) will trounce the Bruins, in
six games, the goal differential will only be 20-1.
In the second round, the VERY MIGHTY, world-beating TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS beat the
old, decrepid Penguins in 4, and not lose a game in the next 2 rounds on the way to the Stanley Cup.
The route has already been taped off, so if you want to get a good place
along the parade route, better head over there now, eh!

I don’t know why we’d be scared of any team in particular. All season long it’s been “tough game coming up”, “guys won’t have a lot of rest for this one”, “we’re sitting key guys tonight”, but they keep winning. With basically nothing to play for they are 9-1-0. Obviously there is luck involved, but the main concern is the team itself. We need our goal tenders to not shrink at the moment, stable rotations with all the new guys, etc.
I can't see either goalie shrinking, especially (not) Ullmark.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I asked an AI to depict what we would do to the Pens. The result?

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 3.05.57 PM.png

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Anything is possible especially in sports.

My biggest issue with stuff like this is that it is all coming off as people are now doubting the Bruins and looking for a reason to be negative. It is coming across as people are expecting the Bruins to lose.

Again anything can happen in the playoffs but I have no reason to believe that this team won't continue to have stellar goaltending and will be able to roll 4 lines effectively. I certainly do not question their effort or experience of the leadership core.

It won't be easy but until they give me a legitimate reason to worry, aside from the powerplay, I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride like I have all season.
I think we're steeling ourselves Ali. We/they honestly don't really want to be negative but (mainly) old timers like me have lived through terrible let-downs and are just 'whistling by the graveyard.' We've had too many PTSD moments.

I asked an AI to depict what we would do to the Pens. The result?

View attachment 683921
I don't know what this means but I wanna stay on your good side lol.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Not to downplay Crosby’s skills as a player, or pretend I understand his ability as a leader, but I think it speaks volumes just to what extreme this Bruins team is playing FOR Bergeron.

You don’t see this sort of thing often, and you certainly aren’t seeing it on the Caps or Pens. We’re so damn lucky to have, and have had a player like Bergy on this team.
In terms of likeability, as someone who has never met any of them, lol....

Bergeron

Crosby

Nausea heartburn indigestion upset stomach diarrhea

Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad