Sportsnet Could Penguins give the Bruins trouble if they make it into the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I mean I don’t think he says anything crazy. He starts it off by saying “I know it sounds crazy.. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that they pull off a stunning first round upset”

Personally the penguins are my preferred opponent for the first round because I think they’ll crush them, but he’s not wrong. It’s within the realm of possibility and would be a stunning upset.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Ranking Bruins’ potential first-round opponents from easiest to hardest

Easiest: Pittsburgh Penguins

The Penguins aren’t just the easiest opponent of the three, but this was also the easiest spot to rank. The Panthers and Islanders both offer at least some reason for concern for the Bruins. It’s hard to find one with the Pens.

Yes, Sidney Crosby (88 points) and Evgeni Malkin (81) are still playing at a high level into the twilight of their careers. It’s an indictment of general manager Ron Hextall that he’s put a team around them that not only isn’t a Cup contender, but may not even be a playoff team.

The Penguins rank 16th in team offense, 19th in team defense, 17th on the power play, 17th on the penalty kill, and 19th in 5-on-5 goal differential. They are the definition of mediocre -- or, as the kids say, mid.

Goalie Tristan Jarry has struggled mightily since returning from injury on Feb. 20, posting an .886 save percentage in 17 appearances. There just isn’t anything here that should scare the Bruins.

The Penguins face Detroit on Saturday and then finish up with two of the worst teams in the NHL in Chicago and Columbus, so they may very well find a way to squeak in. That won’t suddenly make them more formidable than the Panthers or Islanders, though.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You can never look past Crosby, but I see one similarity but two big differences between these teams.

They are very similar in age up front. The average age of Pittsburgh's 9 oldest forwards and Boston's 9 oldest forwards is practically identical. Both teams carry four forwards age 34 or older. When you get to the 4-5 youngest forwards, the Bruins are a bit younger but also much better players (for example Pasta is among the Bruins 4-5 youngest, as is Zacha and Debrusk). Let's face it, the Penguins have no one like Pasta. An elite forward in his prime. They do not have one of those.

But the Bruins are much younger on D, younger yet still experienced. The Bruins best D-man is actually their youngest (McAvoy). Their two oldest (Forbort and Orlov) are just 31, meanwhile the Penguins could potentially dress five D-men age 32 or older, with the sixth guy being 31. The Penguins two most important D-men are both 35, meanwhile the Bruins two best are both in their prime. I have to think late in games, especially if the series goes a bit long, should favor the Bruins D over the Penguins older group as far as the fatigue factor goes.

At the end of the day, the Bruins have more and better players in that prime 25-31 age range than the Penguins do. I think that's significant.

I think the Bruins have a clear advantage in net and really doesn't require any elaboration.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
#1 Everyone is assuming Pittsburgh gets a slot - very much in doubt

The Bruins will have a tough series somewhere down the road and the Fishsticks can not be ignored or for that matter the Sunrise Kitties.

I sure don't want to see Vegas winning the West and the drama that would bring if the B's survive the East.

6 months ago I was hoping for a WC slot or maybe A3 - I didn't expect this and nobody else at HF Bruins did either.

The real season starts in 9 days.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Slowly the teams that I was most worried about (Ottawa and then Buffalo) have been falling off. Now it's all about what kind of system can the Islanders play to stop the Bruins and perhaps have Sorokin steal a series. We've seen that before.

On the flip side, the Panthers were the Presidents' Trophy winners last year and are getting healthy at the right time.

Can Crosby and company pull out the upset? Absolutely. But for me, the other teams seem to be more prime for that historic upset than the Penguins.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
There are no easy teams or easy series in the playoffs. That’s why the Stanley Cup playoffs are the best post season event in professional sports.

Vegas Odds on Boston winning the Cup right now are +380. That equates to about a 21% chance. Granted, we are the prohibitive favorites compared to every other team out there, but it’s still a 21% chance. That speaks to how hard it is to win the Cup….

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The Bruins almost always seem to match up well agains the Penguins. This has been the case for quite some time. I have yet to see otherwise since Montgomery took over and Sullivan has remained behind the bench of an aging Pens team with numerous weaknesses.

It’s the NHL. Anyone can beat anyone. But there’s multiple teams well ahead of the Penguins on my “who to be concerned about” list.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I agree with the "anyone can beat anyone" scenario. Never hope for a specific team or assume an easy series, the first round always has big surprises when top teams go down. A brand new slate begins, we are the favourite instead of the underdog, I don't like that at all. I'm anxious for it all to begin and I want that anxiety to last a very long time....about 2 months.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Teams I fear

TORONTO - If getting the gorilla of not winning a first-round series off their backs could make them dangerous.

TAMPA BAY - They know the real season begins on April 17th

The Metro survivor

The West???? - Edmonton and Vegas must be feared but the reality is whoever the survivor is will be a tough draw.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
The only team that concerns me is Florida. They can score but their downfall is weak goaltending but all it takes are a few tweaks and I would like to see the Bruins start scoring more goals per game. Pittsburgh does not scare me I feel we would sweep them but I do believe they miss the playoffs. The west is a weaker division and I would love to see the Bruins and the Oilers in the final and this time we beat them 4 games to 2. Sure I may be going out on a limb but by me feeling this way it gives me lots of confidence instead of questioning as to who will beat us and I have stopped thinking of these bad thoughts as to what about the way we played against these guys. I look at it this way its the Bruins to win and I do believe they will.

Reactions: Gordoff

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
We have the leadership, experience, skill and toughness. Bruins won't take anyone lightly in any round. They won't be outplayed or out hustled. The only way I see an upset happening against them is they go up against a goalie playing out of his mind.

Reactions: BMC

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
We will be ready for whomever we play and who we play will be more than worried about us. Who cares what’s the TO media has to say. They should concentrate on their stories to come when TB beats the Leafs in 6

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad