WEEI Could Patrice Bergeron return to the Bruins this season?

Could Patrice Bergeron return to the Bruins this season?

• Yes

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 85.6%

• Total voters

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Even the real Ozzy O, on his most drug addled of days (and that’s saying something), wouldn’t spew such bullshit about Bergie deliberately popping up here and there because he wants to attract attention to himself.

What complete and utter bullshit. Truly, just total stinking bullshit. Shame on you.
excellent post

The internet is a very sad place these days
Has been for years. Thankfully it is USUALLY pretty good here.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
In the end, its his decision. Not sure if this was something left open ended after last year… but it seemed pretty final. Don’t think Marshy would have been named captain if this was a real possibility.

Without knowing his current situation I think he has too much to lose and close to nothing to gain. He’s a first ballot HOFer, his number is already retired, and he can take any role within the organization that he wants. To come back and risk injury or have a disastrous post-retirement stint like Rask seems silly to me. He’s already on our Mount Rushmore.

Reactions: YukonCornelius

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
In my opinion one of the top few reasons we collapsed was the added pressure of winning one last cup for Bergy. He comes back and it's all on the teams shoulders again.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Looks like Bergeron heard the rumours too.

from tsn.ca:

Patrice Bergeron understands how the rumour started.

The former Bruins captain spends every Friday on the ice with a group of friends and fellow ex-NHLers in the Boston area.

That weekly rink gathering sparked some online chatter last week Bergeron, who retired in the summer following a banner career, might be planning a dramatic return.

A hockey-world-rocking move, however, isn't in the cards.

"No, it is not happening," Bergeron said. "I'm not making a comeback, not trying to make a comeback."

The 38-year-old added anyone attending those on-ice sessions would see why the notion is pure fantasy.

"Come to our skates ... the rumours would go away pretty quickly," he added with a laugh. "It's a slow pace."

While the future Hall of Fame centre has stepped away from the game, Bergeron remains plenty busy.

Apart from school pickups for his kids and taking up some hobbies of his own, Bergeron has partnered with Kraft Hockeyville, a program that has awarded Canadian communities more than $4.8 million to maintain or upgrade sports and recreation infrastructure — including arenas — over the past 18 years.

"My hockey journey started in a small town just outside Quebec City," the native of L'Ancienne Lorette said in an interview. "Without it, I wouldn't be where I am."

Full story: Ex-Boston Bruins captain Patrice Bergeron happy in retirement: 'I'm not making a comeback' | TSN

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
I don’t get the impression that bergy is one of those people that would go back on his word to his family. He said it was quits , and I’ll take him at his word.

Reactions: Alicat

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I often wonder if Bergy would have retired if the Bruins had won the Cup last season ???? I honestly think he would have returned to help defend it. I still think Krejci would shave called it quits but who knows ???? :dunno:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Personally, I hope he stays retired. I lost a lot of respect for him at the end of last year. I don’t need to see him be one of those Gronk types who try to make everyone focus on them instead of the team. He was a great player, but the team is winning and we don’t need the distraction.
I can see him doing it, however. He seems to be deliberately trying to pop up here and there to draw attention to himself whether it’s an alumni game or selling Sals Pizza.
Stay retired until it’s time to hang number 37 from the rafters where it belongs. We don’t need to see it on the ice again.
Hey Felger, why did you choose Ozzy as your HFboards handle? I mean it has to Felger trolling. Nobody in his right mind would spew this garbage.

Reactions: Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I beg of you.

1705998651671.png

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Personally, I hope he stays retired. I lost a lot of respect for him at the end of last year. I don’t need to see him be one of those Gronk types who try to make everyone focus on them instead of the team. He was a great player, but the team is winning and we don’t need the distraction.
I can see him doing it, however. He seems to be deliberately trying to pop up here and there to draw attention to himself whether it’s an alumni game or selling Sals Pizza.
Stay retired until it’s time to hang number 37 from the rafters where it belongs. We don’t need to see it on the ice again.
May the Hockey Gods punish you accordingly, as the curse goes:

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your crotch and your arms be too short to scratch.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I guess I just don’t think of it that way. There is no “missing piece” to success. It’s all one collective team that faces infinite scenarios. Team got more than one apparent "missing piece" last year in Orlov, Hathaway and Bertuzzi and bowed out in the first round.

Bergeron could have played until he was 50. And as long as the team wasn't terrible the year after he retired, we would have heard about how he may be the "missing piece" to winning a Cup and should consider returning. To me, it's a narrative-driven more by nostalgic, dreamy fans than hockey itself. It's not a literal machine that you can just swap out pieces. It's one singular team needing constant refinement and practice. Calling even someone of Bergeron's historical caliber the "missing piece" to winning a Championship is very flawed thinking IMO.
Well I do think they are a 1C away from being a cup winning team, and they aren’t easy to find on the trade market; that was my point

Also, he had big issues with his back (disc issues).

Hopefully he will return to the Bs in some way, but it will not be as a player.
Good point on the back. That would make it easier for him if it’s something that’s really bothering him

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
May the Hockey Gods punish you accordingly, as the curse goes:

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your crotch and your arms be too short to scratch.
That sounds like a Johnny Carson thing. :laugh: Probably a few of us remember him?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Yes notorious attention whore Patrice Bergeron is just trying to keep his name in the headlines by participating in alumni games that have been going on forever. Great point.
Keeps in the media by helping kids and participating in charitys.....that selfish such and such....

Reactions: CDJ and Ladyfan

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I think he just garnishes so much attention from the public/media that whenever he's skating or doing alumni stuff/whatnot, it becomes this misconstrued thought/idea that he's trying to 'make a return.'
I think people want to see what they want to see regardless of the truth of it. People always go after what they want to be true rather than go after the truth and risk it being not comfortable or desirable for them.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
If you guys missed the legendary Morning Bru with Bergy from the other day:

(don't need spotify)

He talks about the chaos that fake rumor caused, lol. And yeah he's done done.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad