WEEI Could Patrice Bergeron return to the Bruins this season?

Could Patrice Bergeron return to the Bruins this season?

• Yes

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 85.6%

• Total voters

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m not super dialed in on the Bruins’ cap situation, but I do know they’re up against it. Am I correct in thinking that the cap will go up next year?

I think with Zacha; Pastranak; McAvoy; Swayman and Coyle, they have a core they can build around. To acquire a top center via trade, would require moving one of the above pieces. I think the Bruins should stand pat and sign a free agent this summer, because I don’t think simply adding Bergeron would get them over the hump. He’s my favorite Bruin of all time, but they’ll lean too heavily on him, and I think he’ll take ice time away from Coyle who needs it to continue his development.

Though the real question is, would he WANT to come back…?

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Personally, I hope he stays retired. I lost a lot of respect for him at the end of last year. I don’t need to see him be one of those Gronk types who try to make everyone focus on them instead of the team. He was a great player, but the team is winning and we don’t need the distraction.
I can see him doing it, however. He seems to be deliberately trying to pop up here and there to draw attention to himself whether it’s an alumni game or selling Sals Pizza.
Stay retired until it’s time to hang number 37 from the rafters where it belongs. We don’t need to see it on the ice again.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I think it is possible but still unlikely. Maybe 10% at the most.

Comments are harsh so far. Bergy was a class act and great player to his final game. That said, the team has adjusted to his and Krejci's retirement well and we need to move forward with this next chapter rather than turn the page back.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Anyone who thinks that he wouldn’t help for 30 games plus playoffs is crazy!

His faceoff and PK work alone makes it worth it.

That being said I really don’t think he’d have formally announced his retirement if he had any inclination that he’d be back.

Just doesn’t seem like something he’d do.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Personally, I hope he stays retired. I lost a lot of respect for him at the end of last year. I don’t need to see him be one of those Gronk types who try to make everyone focus on them instead of the team. He was a great player, but the team is winning and we don’t need the distraction.
I can see him doing it, however. He seems to be deliberately trying to pop up here and there to draw attention to himself whether it’s an alumni game or selling Sals Pizza.
Stay retired until it’s time to hang number 37 from the rafters where it belongs. We don’t need to see it on the ice again.
Can i ask how did you lose respect for him?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
All I can tell you is nobody is dismissing this wrinkle.

Sweeney doesn't have many options to tweak things

Let's try to explore the pros and cons on this possibility.

No there’s no need to continue this discussion because it’s not f***ing happening. Stop perpetuating a bullshit rumor.

I love you Fenway but this is clickbait

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
No. Please no. Nothing good can come from Bergeron coming out of retirement, especially when they have Zacha, Coyle, and Poitras settling into their roles, never mind the growth being shown from Frederic and Geekie. All a Bergeron return would do is stunt the growth of more than one player on this team for the hail mary long shot of giving him a second Stanley Cup that is never going to come. Bergeron had a great career. He should have two cups to his name and the Bruins blew it in '19. But it's over. Let the man enjoy retirement.

Reactions: G Backup

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yes notorious attention whore Patrice Bergeron is just trying to keep his name in the headlines by participating in alumni games that have been going on forever. Great point.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
ill never say never.
he would help and hes still young.
only one person knows this answer and its bergy. he may get the itch when late february early march comes around.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I think he just garnishes so much attention from the public/media that whenever he's skating or doing alumni stuff/whatnot, it becomes this misconstrued thought/idea that he's trying to 'make a return.'

Reactions: Number8 and Ladyfan

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I mean, I do agree with you the time for him to play is over.

But “try to make everyone focus on him instead of the team”? “Deliberately popping up”….by playing in alumni games and receiving media attention?

This is an all-time terrible take. Very difficult to believe something so off base is not intentional.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think he just garnishes so much attention from the public/media that whenever he's skating or doing alumni stuff/whatnot, it becomes this misconstrued thought/idea that he's trying to 'make a return.'

It’s also inevitable a writer will take the low hanging fruit and shamelessly seek clicks by just making up the narrative despite the man himself repeatedly saying he is not returning.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
It’s weird that he isn’t given how his career ended last year and given where they are now; but it’s been asked an answered. He said no, he doesn’t strike me as a liar

Reactions: Ladyfan

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Finally! Someone with the stones to call out the biggest prima donna in Boston sports history, Patrice Bergeron.

Ever notice how he was ALWAYS the one taking key faceoffs? And how he was ALWAYS on the ice at key spots in the game? I bet it was so the media would keep saying his name.

And can I remind you that he was like this from DAY ONE! I mean, who drives a Zamboni on the Zakim Bridge? That thing's got a top speed of like 15 mph. He could cause a traffic jam that would last for miles! Selfish prick.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It’s weird that he isn’t given how his career ended last year and given where they are now; but it’s been asked an answered. He said no, he doesn’t strike me as a liar

It’s not weird at all. Guy has a family and a life outside of hockey. I think it’s easy to look at being a pro athlete as a dreamy, great paying job. Reality is you sacrifice a ton of your life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad