Speculation: Could Karlsson come back to Ottawa?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think SJ wants to reduce their cap and salary hits and acquire top prospects and picks for a rebuild.

For sure and if Murray and Zaitsev were sent they would go from 11.5 million to 9 million, 5 years to 2 years. Obviously they wouldnt accept the trade straight up and we would need to add picks/prospects to it but my point is that we just dont have enough bad contracts to make it work

The only other way it could work is if we get karlsson on enough retention where sending zaitsev for him is as close to neutral as possible but San Jose wouldnt do that without us sending a fortune

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
For sure and if Murray and Zaitsev were sent they would go from 11.5 million to 9 million, 5 years to 2 years. Obviously they wouldnt accept the trade straight up and we would need to add picks/prospects to it but my point is that we just dont have enough bad contracts to make it work

The only other way it could work is if we get karlsson on enough retention where sending zaitsev for him is as close to neutral as possible but San Jose wouldnt do that without us sending a fortune
Yep. When you trade for an $11 m contract, given the current cap environment, there isn't many teams that have $11 m of available cap space. So, kind of understandable that some contracts would be going back to the Sharks.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Loved EK65 when he played for Ottawa.

Made up his mind during his last Contract Year that he was going to free agency to get his "retirement contract" and knew 100% that is not going to happen in Ottawa, so pretty much orchestrated his departure from Ottawa.... and good for him, he got what he wanted, knows his career is well into the back nine, and his family, and his Children's' families are set up for life.

Right now Ottawa needs a Defensive Defense-man.... and EK65s name is no where near the top half of that list.... he turns 33 next May, and his best years are behind him.

He has all the power with his NMC, and will decide IF he gets traded, and exactly where he gets traded if he decides to move one.... doubt that Ottawa is anywhere near the top of his list.... most likely he would go to a legitimate SC contender, should he decide to leave SJ.

EK65 will return to Ottawa, in the off-season, he lives here then, and that's all.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Assuming he'd be forcing his way here specifically under this scenario and that the acquisition cost would be low, I think its fair to decline based on assuming this year is an outlier or that the cap just doesn't work, but IF he keeps this up, you're saying no to the best offensive dman in the game and one of the best players in the league as of right now.

He has a history here, so it's not an exact comparable, but if all of a sudden, say Crosby forced his way to Ottawa 3 years younger, do we say no to that? I highly doubt it. I have to assume anyone saying no just has no faith he'll keep this up as their primary reasoning against it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Made up his mind during his last Contract Year that he was going to free agency to get his "retirement contract" and knew 100% that is not going to happen in Ottawa, so pretty much orchestrated his departure from Ottawa.... and good for him, he got what he wanted, knows his career is well into the back nine, and his family, and his Children's' families are set up for life.

Right now Ottawa needs a Defensive Defense-man.... and EK65s name is no where near the top half of that list.... he turns 33 next May, and his best years are behind him.

He has all the power with his NMC, and will decide IF he gets traded, and exactly where he gets traded if he decides to move one.... doubt that Ottawa is anywhere near the top of his list.... most likely he would go to a legitimate SC contender, should he decide to leave SJ.

EK65 will return to Ottawa, in the off-season, he lives here then, and that's all.
While I think Karlsson will not be acquired by Ottawa, I also think Karlsson would be a great addition to the current team giving us an RD of Karlsson, Zub and Hamonic. The LD would be Chabot, Sanderson and Brannstrom. Replacing Bransstrom with a big tough physical LD would be great. Perhaps that could be Kleven.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I would 100% trade for King K. Bring his ass back here but do it now so we can make the playoffs and go on another Conference Finals run. But he has to grow his hair back. That’s part of the deal and only if we plan to run our whole system through him.. otherwise don’t even bother.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Karlsson is currently making 2m in real dollars, and his upcoming signing bonus is only 1m. From a cashflow standpoint, it's actually a good time to make a deal for Karlsson, seeing as new ownership could pick up the tab as he becomes costlier.

And this year, Chabot is making only 4m in real dollars, while no other defensemen here are making more than 3.25m in real dollars (other than Zaitsev at 4.5m of course).

So long as retention (say 25%, so 8.6m cap) is part of the salary structure for Karlsson moving forward, and a few pieces are moved around in the offseason, it's actually doable to acquire him now without paying salary out the nose for our defense corps this year. And a note, I think if we ask for any more retention, we have to part with too much the other way.

That said, Chabot and his 8m cap goes up to 8m in real dollars next year, and 10m the year after along with a 10 team NTC. Meanwhile, although Karlsson's bonus is 1m next year, his salary will be 10.5m, which, if 25% is retained, will be in line with Chabot at 7.9m.

So, a decision would likely have to be made about going all in with heavy dollar and term investments to both, or flipping Chabot to address other needs before his trade protection is enacted.

Re-acquiring Karlsson and his NMC for 4 more years is a full blown commitment to the player, and I think that aside from the short term Zaitsev problem, having to choose between Karl and Chabby for the upcoming contention window is the major dilemma here.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
I would 100% trade for King K. Bring his ass back here but do it now so we can make the playoffs and go on another Conference Finals run. But he has to grow his hair back. That’s part of the deal and only if we plan to run our whole system through him.. otherwise don’t even bother.
Need dat flow.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Pretty much this. I don't want an ugly Karlsson with no flowing hair. Need a signed commitment that he'll grow it so we can watch it flow in the wind even if he ain't skating

• Haha
Reactions: Chabot84

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Ottawa needs an Offensive Dman and teach the rest how to play D.

Karlsson is a better deal at 11m than Chabot is at 8m.

• Haha
Reactions: NB613 and Chabot84

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
he was putting our plebs in a siege. complete one man system.

they are letting him gamble more than ever and it is more entertaining and effective than all our top guys put together lol

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Sharks are running their whole system through him and their record is as bad as ours.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Why? Him fronting a deep pocketed group would seem to be ideal. Insane marketing, passionate and committed front man and money...where are the flaws?

He said he lived in Vanier which is a town just outside Ottawa - ON JIMMY KIMMELL

Good guy and I’d be happy about it - but he’s a B.S.ing the city for the sake of a fortune, and Ottawa loves it - Because Sens nation has a saviour complex

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Our roster also sucked over the previous 250 games.

I don’t understand the timing of this.

I wanted to keep the 27 year old Karlsson.

Acquiring the 32 year old Karlsson with four years left on his contract makes no sense to me.

We are not contending even with EK65.

The fact that the Sharks want to use the opportunity afforded by his hot start to divest themselves of his services says it all.

Unless you are gunning for a Cup in the next two seasons, it’s not a wise move IMO.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He said he lived in Vanier which is a town just outside Ottawa - ON JIMMY KIMMELL

Good guy and I’d be happy about it - but he’s a B.S.ing the city for the sake of a fortune, and Ottawa loves it - Because Sens nation has a saviour complex
Vanier was a town just outside of Ottawa when he lived there. He's drawing on memories from when he was 13.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree. But In fairness, it doesn’t look like we’ll be contending over the next 4 years without Karlsson, so at least it’d be more fun?

We’re the the Edmonton Oilers of the ‘10s. The rebuild needs a rebuild.

I hate pulling the chute already but with this draft, a late surge in competitiveness would just be depressing this year.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad