Post-Game Talk: Could have sworn it was hockey season - Knights at Cup Champs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The fact that Kuzy is now a bonafide goal scorer is opening up lanes for his top-of-the-heap creativity. Add in the fact that the rest of the team has finally caught up to how his mind works - as well as his ascending defensive play and overall compete level - and what do you have?

A Hart/Smythe level player.

Not only that but Backstrom has elevated his game as well and those two seem to have finally achieved mind meld. They’re starting to successfully pair their vastly different playmaking styles. The result is lethal offensive hockey; poetry in motion.

Beyond that it also seems like 90% of the Capitals are playing significantly better individually from this point last year. It also appears that Reirden is a tactical domination cyborg with his finger securely on the pulse of his team. Sure, it’s only 3 games, but this group looks ready to defend their hard fought prize...vigorously.

Good times...

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The fact that Kuzy is now a bonafide goal scorer is opening up lanes for his top-of-the-heap creativity. Add in the fact that the rest of the team has finally caught up to how his mind works - as well as his ascending defensive play and overall compete level - and what do you have?

A Hart/Smythe level player.

Not only that but Backstrom has elevated his game as well and those two seem to have finally achieved mind meld. They’re starting to successfully pair their vastly different playmaking styles. The result is lethal offensive hockey; poetry in motion.

Beyond that it also seems like 90% of the Capitals are playing significantly better individually from this point last year. It also appears that Reirden is a tactical domination cyborg with his finger securely on the pulse of his team. Sure, it’s only 3 games, but this group looks ready to defend their hard fought prize...vigorously.

Good times...
Except we are 17th in the league in goals against. We need to improve that.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Classic example of using a data point with a small sample size to support a narrative that may or may not exist.

They have played three games. If you take out the outlier of the Pens game then they have given up zero goals and two goals in their other two games for an average of one goal per game which would tie them for 1st in the league in GA/G. Oh, and the two teams they shut down were 5th and 6th in GF/G in the 2017-18 regular season.

See how that works?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Classic example of using a data point with a small sample size to support a narrative that may or may not exist.

They have played three games. If you take out the outlier of the Pens game then they have given up zero goals and two goals in their other two games for an average of one goal per game which would tie them for 1st in the league in GA/G.

See how that works?
We gave up 2 goals against Vegas but we really didnt play well defensively. We gave up a lot of quality chances. Holtby made some saves, Vegas hits some posts and they just couldnt finish.
Like you said we have played 3 games. Do you think we are going to continue to score 6 goals per game. We need to tighten up defensively.
I'd like to see Holtbys GAA at 2.25 or lower and at least a .920 sv %. His numbers did get inflated because of the Pens game but last nights game could have and should have been a lot worse.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

It's October and it will progress. I'm elated the Caps are firing offensively like they are. We are in for a good season of goal scoring highlights. hopefully an NHL record. This team knows what to do for the playoffs and a long season ahead. Enjoy the regular season.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It's October and it will progress. I'm elated the Caps are firing offensively like they are. We are in for a good season of goal scoring highlights. hopefully an NHL record. This team knows what to do for the playoffs and a long season ahead. Enjoy the regular season.
I think the long season is an important point. Defense is tiring. No need to play their full playoff checking game at this stage.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
We gave up 2 goals against Vegas but we really didnt play well defensively. We gave up a lot of quality chances. Holtby made some saves, Vegas hits some posts and they just couldnt finish.
Like you said we have played 3 games. Do you think we are going to continue to score 6 goals per game. We need to tighten up defensively.
I'd like to see Holtbys GAA at 2.25 or lower and at least a .920 sv %. His numbers did get inflated because of the Pens game but last nights game could have and should have been a lot worse.

Absolutely we're going to keep scoring 6. Why wouldn't we?

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Caps are 2-0-1 against 3 teams that got at least to the 2nd round of playoffs. They get 2 more playoff opponents between now and Saturday.
Meanwhile, Leafs are 3-1 against 4 non-playoff teams, and have another non-playoff team tonight. And Canadian press wants to give them the Cup.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Caps are 2-0-1 against 3 teams that got at least to the 2nd round of playoffs. They get 2 more playoff opponents between now and Saturday.
Meanwhile, Leafs are 3-1 against 4 non-playoff teams, and have another non-playoff team tonight. And Canadian press wants to give them the Cup.
Shhhh. Under the radar is where these guys wanna live.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I think the long season is an important point. Defense is tiring. No need to play their full playoff checking game at this stage.

it's probably not as relevant as I think but I don't really want the Caps to be in playoff ready/mode all season for teams to best game plan for. I'd rather them play a little off key so teams have more planning and adjusting, rather than knowing what they're going to get.

Reactions: calicapsfan

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
"Reirden had a lot more say in this team than Trotz lead us to believe

giphy.gif

110% this. Watching his pressers, Reardunh appears to be very detail-oriented, highly respected among the players, and his system has been in place for well over a year. Other than that, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Thoughts on Jaskin? He definitely seemed a bit slow out of the blocks but after that he kept up alright. He showed some savvy at times offensively and was set up well by Stephenson for a quality chance in alone. (Stephenson & DSP swapping spots seems like a good idea from a balance standpoint also.) Not sure his finishing ability will improve much unless he does a lot of practice work but otherwise he seemed okay. Not great. I don't expect him to jump into a scoring-line given some of his pace/skill limitations but he's an okay grinder at least.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Thoughts on Jaskin? He definitely seemed a bit slow out of the blocks but after that he kept up alright. He showed some savvy at times offensively and was set up well by Stephenson for a quality chance in alone. (Stephenson & DSP swapping spots seems like a good idea from a balance standpoint also.) Not sure his finishing ability will improve much unless he does a lot of practice work but otherwise he seemed okay. Not great. I don't expect him to jump into a scoring-line given some of his pace/skill limitations but he's an okay grinder at least.
Agree with all that. Stephenson gave him a beautiful setup (after a really canny jump the pass around the back of the net interception), and he had at least one other decent chance, so he knows how to get to good spots on the ice, but finishing is still TBD at best. But I did seem him pop Reaves pretty hard against the boards at the end of a shift, and Reaves sort of looked around, wondering who on the Caps would be able to hit him like that since Wilson's out of the lineup.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have zero issue with this approach

I will expand on that. SHOOT/Pass it at the greatest players on the team. They can handle that red hot pass. That was one of my old tricks... do anything necessary to get the puck to the best player on your line. Don't try to make a cute easy to intercept pass - fire that thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad