Could any metro areas other than New York and LA support multiple teams?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
My guess is that is not the high revenue guaranteed success some of the Canadian media trumpets. Just like how the Ducks, Devils and Islanders lag behind the Kings and Rangers in significant ways. I don't think Toronto 2 is the money generator most people think. I think it can survive, I think the GTA can support two teams. My guess is that second team is more in the 10-20 range than in the top 10 for the league from a financial impact point. I know Toronto, Buffalo and Detroit will vote against it, so now go find more votes. Having votes against you at the ownership table is a big deal, this is a select club. You have to have an interesting ownership group willing to accept this. Nobody opposed Vegas or Seattle that is important to this question.

Why would Detroit care, won't affect their tickets.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Really tough to hostilely take over this group though. To think that some of these owners don't have agreements is always a part of this that I find interesting. You can find the threads especially in expansion/relocation that likely get you to a point where 2/3 vote is hard to get. There are ways to see organizations that likely come together in their own self interests.

I know this was a big rumor about Davidson's ownership in Tampa. That some of the thought was if they didn't work there he could move them to The Palace of Auburn Hills in Suburban Detroit. He was told behind closed doors it would simply never be allowed and a part of that was Ilitch could get the votes to kill it regardless of the non-existence of veto.

I believe there is a group of Detroit, Columbus, Colorado, Dallas, Montreal and Toronto that probably vote in unison on this stuff. I vote down GTA2, QC, or division/conference realignment if you don't like it. Now we only need to collect just a few more votes to turn back things we don't like.
You're talking about Detroit, there's no way they'd support a second team. There's few votes for turning down big expansion fees.

The GTA could absolutely support another team, they would have a harder time than I think some people think in terms of people aren't going to leave the Leafs like some think in my opinion. But I don't doubt the market being able to support more.

This is like the guy with bad breath not knowing they have bad breath. Lost of people live in Toronto, are not leafs fans. One of the reasons they aren't leafs fans is that they simply don't have the option to even going to a game. I don't know how hard this is to appreciate. If 20 percent of southern ontario becomes gta2 fans you'll have a top 5 franchise in terms of value and revenue.

Do you think anyone moving from BC/Alberta/Quebec are gonna be leaf fans? How about immigrants from Russia?

What about all the people who simply hate their dads?

How about all the people who hate their obnoxious jock obsess/coworkers.

There's far far more non leaf fans who'd likely adopt a new team than there are potential fans in Seattle.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Toronto for sure, fans will come as a novelty at first to see cheaper NHL action than they will eventually breed a younger generation of fans, of course if the Leafs win a Cup in the next few years which I personally think they will that will put a damper in the growth of that team but if they had put a 2nd team in Toronto 20 years ago I am guessing they would be one of the 10 ten valuable teams in the league

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
The GTA/Golden Horseshoe seems unique in that there's no real historical precedent for having 2 professional teams (CFL not withstanding). The Maple Leafs have 100+ years of being the only NHL team in town, and it might be a tall order for enough people to switch allegiances to make them viable. It would probably take at least 1 generation for the Leafs to effectively not get 2-3 extra home games when they play their new cross-town rivals. It seems that 2nd teams came about while the 1st franchise was still relatively young or as a result of a rival league.

NHL
* (Mighty) Ducks: expansion in 1993, Kings were 26 years old
* Islanders: expansion in 1972 to block the WHA, Rangers were 46 years old but historic precedent with the NY Americans and multiple teams in other sports.
* Devils: relocation in 1982. I'm curious if they would have been allowed to go to New Jersey if they left Colorado under the more modern NHL (say the early 90s instead of early 80s), or if Bettman would have wanted to cap the area at 2 teams.
* Canadiens/Maroons - totally different era, also needs to take into consideration the unique cultural makeup of Montreal where the Marroons were the English team and the Canadiens were the Francophone team.

MLB - all markets had representatives of two different leagues, including former 2 team markets. Relatively short time frame between the two teams being established (LA & Chi) or replacing previous teams (NY).

NBA - Nets are from the ABA; Clippers relocated without league approval.

NFL - AFC vs NFC

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
That's probably true. I really don't know why a city that doesn't already have an NFL team would want one. They're an enormous money drain with their greed for exorbitantly priced stadiums that rarely get used, they move around like feral cats from market to market with zero fan loyalty, and they don't do anywhere near the community outreach and service that the other major sports do. Sure, if a town already has a team, I understand the emotional bonds, the boosterism, and all that. But forking over the better part of a billion public dollars when there are so many other needs? For just 10-12 home games a year if the team is lucky, counting pre-season games? No way.
Absolutely agree. Truthfully an NFL stadium is really the worst investment in terms of sporting venues. Sure, they're huge, but there's so few games, the sort of concert tours that fill stadiums are far fewer than they used to be, and Monster Jam doesn't use the whole building. All told, an NFL stadium is probably in use maybe 45 days of the year max.

Compare that to an MLB ballpark, which is in use for half the days of the half-year season (the other half being road trips), instantly making it have at least 81 days of use, plus some of those same concerts and monster truck and motocross shows.

And an indoor arena? That's just (usually) smart spending. Those are in constant use year-round. Even without a major primary tenant the new arena in KC seems like a smart move. The only real issue is if there's too many arenas for the market, which may end up being an issue in the New York area of all places between MSG (presented by Chase), Prudential, Barclays, and USB. (Not counting Nassau Coliseum here because after USB opens it's not likely to remain a full-size arena; it may be reconfigured (again) into a pure theatre. Also note that all of them, when considering the presenting sponsor of MSG, are sponsored by banks or insurance companies.

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
The GTA/Golden Horseshoe seems unique in that there's no real historical precedent for having 2 professional teams (CFL not withstanding).
Not true, actually;
dunn35a.jpg

There was an NHL team in Hamilton for five years in the 1920's alongside the St. Patricks, so there is a historical precedent for the NHL having two GTA franchises. It's practically ancient history, but it's still precedent.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Toronto could for sure IMO, and Montreal might be able to support a second team.

In all honesty, the Los Angeles area can't really support two NHL teams.
I think the Ducks do alright relative to the rest of the NHL. But, the amount of competition for your discretionary income for sports in the LA region is huge. They have 2 NFL teams (although no one seems to care about the Chargers), 2 MLB teams, 2 NBA teams, 2 MLS teams, 2 NHL teams, a historic NCAA Football team (USC), and a historic NCAA Basketball team (UCLA), plus both of the college teams have competitive teams in the sports they aren't blue blood in. Although, I've always felt of the professional teams in LA the only two with die hard rabid fan bases are Dodgers and Lakers, whereas the others rely a lot on fairweather fans, compared to some smaller cities that only have 3 or 4 teams, but all of them have rabid fanbases (Philly and Boston being the notable examples).

I have a hard time seeing MTL two. Yes, the Habs thrive, and MTL has a huge boxing and MMA fanbase, but if MTL was to get a new professional sports team NBA or MLB probably make more sense.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The GTA/Golden Horseshoe seems unique in that there's no real historical precedent for having 2 professional teams (CFL not withstanding). The Maple Leafs have 100+ years of being the only NHL team in town, and it might be a tall order for enough people to switch allegiances to make them viable. It would probably take at least 1 generation for the Leafs to effectively not get 2-3 extra home games when they play their new cross-town rivals. It seems that 2nd teams came about while the 1st franchise was still relatively young or as a result of a rival league.

NHL
* (Mighty) Ducks: expansion in 1993, Kings were 26 years old
* Islanders: expansion in 1972 to block the WHA, Rangers were 46 years old but historic precedent with the NY Americans and multiple teams in other sports.
* Devils: relocation in 1982. I'm curious if they would have been allowed to go to New Jersey if they left Colorado under the more modern NHL (say the early 90s instead of early 80s), or if Bettman would have wanted to cap the area at 2 teams.
* Canadiens/Maroons - totally different era, also needs to take into consideration the unique cultural makeup of Montreal where the Marroons were the English team and the Canadiens were the Francophone team.

MLB - all markets had representatives of two different leagues, including former 2 team markets. Relatively short time frame between the two teams being established (LA & Chi) or replacing previous teams (NY).

NBA - Nets are from the ABA; Clippers relocated without league approval.

NFL - AFC vs NFC
Should probably mention the Bay Area. A's came into existence about 11 years after the Giants.

The big thing with the GTA is, its importance/size of market has rapidly grown since the 1950's compared to many American cities (especially compared to its great lake counterparts). At one point Toronto/GTA was comparable to WNY, then it was Cleveland, and then it was Detroit. Now, it's Chicago. This has all happened in the boomers life-time. Other cities and regions have also seen sizable growth in this time frame (Miami/Southern Florida, Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Bay Area), granted while Toronto has added 2 Big 4 teams since this rapid growth started occurring, the other cities have all added more. Metro Toronto's population has grown by over 5,000,000 people since 1950, as a city that was around 1 million in 1950. That's also not looking at regions that border the GTA but aren't considered part of Metro Toronto (Golden Horseshoe and Greater-Golden Horseshoe) that have also seen massive growth (Hamilton, Niagara Region, Simcoe County).

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto won't support minor-league sports, but it would go nuts for a second NHL team.

It has to be in Toronto, not the GTA.

Whatever it costs for an expansion fee, to indemnify the Leafs, build an arena and capitalize the team itself would seem cheap in hindsight. It would take big, big money, and would be a very good investment.

Would they? Or would the NHL teams in Toronto be unofficially known as the Leafs and Not-the-Leafs? Honest question (not trying to troll), but I noticed your avatar, would you switch allegiances to the other guys?

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Should probably mention the Bay Area. A's came into existence about 11 years after the Giants.

The big thing with the GTA is, its importance/size of market has rapidly grown since the 1950's compared to many American cities (especially compared to its great lake counterparts). At one point Toronto/GTA was comparable to WNY, then it was Cleveland, and then it was Detroit. Now, it's Chicago. This has all happened in the boomers life-time. Other cities and regions have also seen sizable growth in this time frame (Miami/Southern Florida, Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Bay Area), granted while Toronto has added 2 Big 4 teams since this rapid growth started occurring, the other cities have all added more. Metro Toronto's population has grown by over 5,000,000 people since 1950, as a city that was around 1 million in 1950. That's also not looking at regions that border the GTA but aren't considered part of Metro Toronto (Golden Horseshoe and Greater-Golden Horseshoe) that have also seen massive growth (Hamilton, Niagara Region, Simcoe County).

Interestingly, other US metros that have seen similar, significant growth and still have 1 major-league team. For example, the population might support a 2nd NFL team in Dallas or Houston, but that's not going to happen (long shot for 3rd team elsewhere in Texas, but that's another discussion). Would you see a 2nd NBA team in the Bay Area (i.e. San Jose)?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Interestingly, other US metros that have seen similar, significant growth and still have 1 major-league team. For example, the population might support a 2nd NFL team in Dallas or Houston, but that's not going to happen (long shot for 3rd team elsewhere in Texas, but that's another discussion). Would you see a 2nd NBA team in the Bay Area (i.e. San Jose)?
Toronto though is by far the biggest US/Canadian city that only has 3 big 4 sports teams. Those regions also help subsidize major NCAA sports either in the region or nearby (which isn't a competition for Canadian sports teams). I believe Toronto's rate of growth sustained over the past 70 years even exceeds the most booming American cities outside of Las Vegas (and Toronto is a much larger city than Vegas). And, without a dramatic change in immigration policies by the United States, Canada, and Ontario, this is likely to continue.

You wouldn't see a 2nd NBA team in San Jose primarily because not only is GS in the same area, the Sacramento Kings are less than a two-hour drive in state.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad