Could a Maritime NHL team succeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Are they're Plans for or a arena that can hold a reasonable amount of people and is of NHL quality (Excluding Nassau LOL) Something like the MTS in winnipeg

15000ish and new

No, Halifax is currently more interested in building a stadium, in the short term for hosting the 2015 Women's World Cup (if Canada wins the bid), ultimately for potentially attracting a CFL team.

Mihairokov

May 30, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't understand why this thread is still active when a few of us on the first page answered OP's question with 'No'. Repeated instances of No. Never ever ever.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I just have to post again....because jetsowner.com disgusts me so much. Anyone that relies on that site for validation is a weak individual.

Please...PLEASE!...use your intelligence that I know you have and ignore that site. You are smarter than that....you can't rely on a media ***** that happened to create a website and skewed whatever he pleases to make things appear all peachy.

I feel like puking just thinking about that tripe.....

regardless of your personal opinion, you're taking it a little too far there Jeff.

DF's a nice guy, the site is a hobbyist site/fan site, so its not like HF no, and there are borderline UFO sighting ideas sometimes yes, but that is part of its charm for those who do venture there. You can puke when you get off your high horse, if that works better for you.

There is absolutely no need to lower someone who you don't know to a "tripe" and you feel like "puking" when thinking about.

Stay classy. He's a nice guy.

On topic of the board, in the near future no, the maritimes is not likely capable of maintaining an NHL franchise for various aforementioned reasons....

but to those (even those living in the maritimes) who are saying "never ever"; I don't think you can say "never ever".

One day I'm sure they could sustain a team. Halifax is a pretty quickly growing city, and give it several decades, it might start transforming into the East Coast hub for all things finances. I know Halfiax has more Canadian bank presence than Winnipeg on the office tower level (corporate hubs; not on the financial prowess level), and Winnipeg was once the hub for banks in Western Canada for decades.

But things can change. In the 1920's you would "never ever" have assumed Edmonton & Calgary could support professional sports teams, but alas here they are today.

Halifax might not get NHL in our life times, but never ever is just as unlikely to happen as in a few years ;)

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
regardless of your personal opinion, you're taking it a little too far there Jeff.

DF's a nice guy, the site is a hobbyist site/fan site, so its not like HF no, and there are borderline UFO sighting ideas sometimes yes, but that is part of its charm for those who do venture there. You can puke when you get off your high horse, if that works better for you.

There is absolutely no need to lower someone who you don't know to a "tripe" and you feel like "puking" when thinking about.

Stay classy. He's a nice guy.

On topic of the board, in the near future no, the maritimes is not likely capable of maintaining an NHL franchise for various aforementioned reasons....

but to those (even those living in the maritimes) who are saying "never ever"; I don't think you can say "never ever".

One day I'm sure they could sustain a team. Halifax is a pretty quickly growing city, and give it several decades, it might start transforming into the East Coast hub for all things finances. I know Halfiax has more Canadian bank presence than Winnipeg on the office tower level (corporate hubs; not on the financial prowess level), and Winnipeg was once the hub for banks in Western Canada for decades.

But things can change. In the 1920's you would "never ever" have assumed Edmonton & Calgary could support professional sports teams, but alas here they are today.

Halifax might not get NHL in our life times, but never ever is just as unlikely to happen as in a few years ;)

Roccerfeller:

if the above were true, then how come all of the Maritime provincial teams beginning w/ the 1st AHL Pro team backed by the Canadiens in Halifax,(1969) suddenly ended after MLSE decided to reject the lease conditions @ Mile One Stadium, a facility they helped construct to replace the St. John's Memorial Coliseum....

that same lease is why Ferrell Miller bought hockey back to suburban Montreal, w/ the Junior after 2007-08, and the Q has wanted a presence in Montreal.

not more evident than Saint John losing their AHL Franchise due to financial issues in 2003, 2 years after a championship or Moncton (everyone in our league remembers the New Brunswick/Moncton Hawks, who collapsed after facing the Pirates in the 93 Calder Cup who had Dan Byslma(Penguins coach) on that team; which the Hawks later became the current Wildcats...

the era changed, the Q is more cheaper and less interference from the NHL parent.

Halifax is what it is, just as the other cities throughout Atlantic Canada were ignored, who knew about Acadie Bathurst, Val D'Or, or Victoriaville, to name 3...

at least here we get to see the continuation of a Moncton, Halifax pro hockey team.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
The NHL or nothing argument can be irritating.
There is the distinct possibility that people can enjoy the game at the university, junior and high school levels.
The NHL lockout a few years back revealed that Canadians can enjoy high level hockey without the NHL.
The NHL does not base franchise locations based on where people passionately love hockey. Otherwise the league would be configured differently.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I thought Halifax was bidding on the Commonwealth Games, not the Women's World Cup? Or is it both?

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Roccerfeller:

if the above were true, then how come all of the Maritime provincial teams beginning w/ the 1st AHL Pro team backed by the Canadiens in Halifax,(1969) suddenly ended after MLSE decided to reject the lease conditions @ Mile One Stadium, a facility they helped construct to replace the St. John's Memorial Coliseum....

that same lease is why Ferrell Miller bought hockey back to suburban Montreal, w/ the Junior after 2007-08, and the Q has wanted a presence in Montreal.

not more evident than Saint John losing their AHL Franchise due to financial issues in 2003, 2 years after a championship or Moncton (everyone in our league remembers the New Brunswick/Moncton Hawks, who collapsed after facing the Pirates in the 93 Calder Cup who had Dan Byslma(Penguins coach) on that team; which the Hawks later became the current Wildcats...

the era changed, the Q is more cheaper and less interference from the NHL parent.

Halifax is what it is, just as the other cities throughout Atlantic Canada were ignored, who knew about Acadie Bathurst, Val D'Or, or Victoriaville, to name 3...

at least here we get to see the continuation of a Moncton, Halifax pro hockey team.

what you say is true, as far as what has happened, and I can't argue with that at all.

Specifically with regards to NHL in Maritimes though, I was simply suggesting to write it off as "never ever" happening is wrong, imo. I said the likelihood of it happening soon or even in our lifetimes is probably not good, but who is to say 100 years from now Halifax won't be able to support a thriving NHL business?

I mentioned prairie cities because sometimes you just need one thing to turn your city around (Calgary/Edmonton) to the point where it can grow very large in a very short time. Halifax is underrated from that point of view...it has a lot going for it from a financial perspective. It just tried to be bigger than it currently is, but that's not a bad thing for its future...

Because the NHL in this region is more of an economical/business issue (can it be a soundly run business for a long time), to say the NHL can never work in the Maritimes to me is saying Halifax will never have the economic prowess within the city to be able to sustain an NHL franchise. While that may be true currently, in the future, it might not be true.

"Never say never" was my point.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
I thought Halifax was bidding on the Commonwealth Games, not the Women's World Cup? Or is it both?

A while back they were developing a bid for the Commonwealth Games - I think for what ended up being the Delhi games last year, actually - but eventually dropped out.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
what you say is true, as far as what has happened, and I can't argue with that at all.

Specifically with regards to NHL in Maritimes though, I was simply suggesting to write it off as "never ever" happening is wrong, imo. I said the likelihood of it happening soon or even in our lifetimes is probably not good, but who is to say 100 years from now Halifax won't be able to support a thriving NHL business?

I mentioned prairie cities because sometimes you just need one thing to turn your city around (Calgary/Edmonton) to the point where it can grow very large in a very short time. Halifax is underrated from that point of view...it has a lot going for it from a financial perspective. It just tried to be bigger than it currently is, but that's not a bad thing for its future...

Because the NHL in this region is more of an economical/business issue (can it be a soundly run business for a long time), to say the NHL can never work in the Maritimes to me is saying Halifax will never have the economic prowess within the city to be able to sustain an NHL franchise. While that may be true currently, in the future, it might not be true.

Never say Never is MY point, though, because the days of minor pro hockey backed by the NHL in the Maritimes is over, being replaced by the junior version which makes the cities more profitable in the long run, it doesn't bode well for a Maritime based NHL Market otherwise there would've been that option when those markets lost their franchises......

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
As someone who was watching pro hockey in the Maritimes back in the 70's and has followed it all along, I can't possibly imagine it.

The Maritimes is perfect for junior hockey both attendance wise and cost wise.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007

In the next 100 years?!?!? Geez! There might be a team on the moon by then!

In our lifetimes...even if there is a two year old on here....there won't be a team in Halifax.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
As someone who was watching pro hockey in the Maritimes back in the 70's and has followed it all along, I can't possibly imagine it.

The Maritimes is perfect for junior hockey both attendance wise and cost wise.

i absolutely agree with this. Junior and AHL hockey....the east coast is PERFECT for it. I could see AHL team returning....but never an NHL team. The numbers just aren't there.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
i absolutely agree with this. Junior and AHL hockey....the east coast is PERFECT for it. I could see AHL team returning....but never an NHL team. The numbers just aren't there.

AHL will never return under PHPA LABOR, Jeff.... remember a requisite for starting an AHL Team is having an NHL partner........

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
CHL is probably a better bet than the AHL. Running an AHL franchise out of the maritimes was very expensive for one thing. The AHL clubs might be affiliated to an NHL parent, but financially the AHL clubs have to make it on their own with all the attendant problems of having to cater to the whims of the NHL parent. Anyone out there remember the Cape Breton Oilers getting hung out to dry financially? When I was living in Edmonton at the time people from the Cape were telling me that a person could get a ticket to the baby Oilers for like $6 at that time it was half the price of junior tickets.
I am a great believer in having people enjoy hockey that people can truly afford.

mucker*

1) How come the Canadian maritimes never did get developed? As a geographer, this always struck me as odd that Canada's major cities were in the interior (Montreal and Southern Ontario) while the east coast, which is closest to Europe and the first point of destination for settlers never did.

Usually urban areas develop around rivers or ports, hence New York or Boston or LA or SF.
Why is it then the Maritimes, the closest by far port to Europe is so sparse?
How come a city the size of a Boston or even Hartford never took shape?
I never got why after Boston, the North American urban area was pretty much done.

2) By the year 2050 and certainly 2100, I expect the Maritimes to be booming.
This is because global warming will have made it unbearable to live in the sunbelt, and the northeast will be like the carolinas in summer.
There is going to be massive northward migration.
This hinges though that global warming does not alter the gulf stream or severly erode the maritimes with rising seafloor loss of land.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
1) How come the Canadian maritimes never did get developed? As a geographer, this always struck me as odd that Canada's major cities were in the interior (Montreal and Southern Ontario) while the east coast, which is closest to Europe and the first point of destination for settlers never did.

Usually urban areas develop around rivers or ports, hence New York or Boston or LA or SF.
Why is it then the Maritimes, the closest by far port to Europe is so sparse?
How come a city the size of a Boston or even Hartford never took shape?
I never got why after Boston, the North American urban area was pretty much done.

Many reasons. Mass deportations in the 1700's wasn't a good start. Also during the World Wars, while coastal cities were usually heavily relied upon, the Canadian government decided to centralize everything and moved much of the labour out to Ontario. This started a trend and by the 70's, even the CN rail, which was vital to Moncton's economy, was also centralized. I'm sure the fact that Maine blocks off most of the Maritimes from the rest of Canada didn't help either. It's a long detour from Fredericton to Montreal.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/Hockey/1969-12-31/article-2110115/Hockey-ahead/1

St John's group looking to get an ECHL team (perhaps for next season). They're so serious about their interest, they're heading to Bakersfield, California in a couple of weeks for the ECHL BOG meeting (at the All Star event).

Would probably fly out of Newfoundland and bus to other divisional opponents.

(Anchorage, Alaska team and Victoria, BC team have to fly/bus to all their away games as well.)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Probably not...I'd like to see other teams such as a CFL team there first to see if it would be successful.

But at the same time, I don't think a team in the Maritimes would do any worse than what the Phoenix Coyotes are doing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad