Could a Maritime NHL team succeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I'm not very well read in how that plan actually works...but it hasn't been used in a while...has it??

I mean....last I checked the Canadian dollar was either at par or higher than the US dollar.

I have no problem with an international league (NHL) setting up a system to offset the fluctuation in currencies. If the US dollar ever dips down to less than 80 cents Canadian...I wouldn't be opposed to the Canadian teams tossing in dough to distribute to those most impacted in the US.

Two things happened.

1) After the lockout Canadian cities embraced hockey more than ever because they realized how boring their cities were without their signature sports team (places like winnipeg will feel this feeling eternally).

2) The Canadian dollar is strong now, but that's not to say thing can't change in 15 years and then we'll have to have another Canadian assistance plan again.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No. Under NHL By-Law 36, adopted in the wake of the Al Davis vs NFL litigation, the rules for relocation were relaxed - only a simple majority is needed to approve a relocation and no team has a veto (if a League counsel makes a determination that the restrictions under Article 4 of the NHL Constitution are in violation of anti-trust law). The CCB relied on this By-Law when they investigated and ruled that the NHL policy did not violate the Competition Act.

During the Phoenix BK depositions it came out that the League's position is that the Article 4 restrictions (including a single team veto) now only apply to expansion and not relocation - although the Leafs have threatened legal action to challenge that position.

That said, it is very unlikely that a majority of the BoG would approve a relocation unless and until a territorial rights deal is agreed to with MLSE.

The "real" reason the Leafs don't want another team in Southern Ontario ( or another team in Canada for that matter ) is not because of lost revenues or splitting the revenue pie more ways... it is because of how utterly and absolutely embarrassing it would be to have the new team win the Stanley Cup before the Leafs ever will again.

As far as the Maritimes, it would be nice to see it, but I do not think we ever will.

Last edited:

GreatCanadian

Nov 25, 2010
New Brunswick
The "real" reason the Leafs don't want another team in Southern Ontario ( or another team in Canada for that matter ) is not because of lost revenues or splitting the revenue pie more ways... it is because of how utterly and absolutely embarrassing it would be to have the new team win the Stanley Cup before the Leafs ever will again.

As far as the Maritimes, it would be nice to see it, but I do not think we ever will.

Do you really think it matters to them that much that a "newer" team will win the cup before they do?

Since the Leafs last won the cup, 24 of the 42 cups awarded went to teams that did not exist in '67.

I see your logic, but it would seem a slightly futile exercise by now, considering 80% of the franchises were all founded post-'67.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Do you really think it matters to them that much that a "newer" team will win the cup before they do?

I think it does, in a way. The Leafs currently have a massive fanbase and totally dominate the entirety of Southern Ontario... if you put a team in Toronto or Hamilton or K-W and it was better than the Leafs, things would change.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
It sure wouldn't be going to Halifax, whatever the case. As soon as anyone would breathe a word about it the Heritage Trust/Save The View/whatever-special-interest-group-of-the-month would start screaming endlessly about taxes and Christ forbid bringing the city into the 20th (not 21st, 20th) century.

If studying architecture here has taught me anything it's that being an architect in Halifax must be one of the most stressful, thankless jobs on the planet. I don't know how they can stand it. A city of 400000 people growing far more rapidly than predicted and everyone acts like they're living in some quaint 19th-century pseudo-Amish tourist village.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
I think it does, in a way. The Leafs currently have a massive fanbase and totally dominate the entirety of Southern Ontario... if you put a team in Toronto or Hamilton or K-W and it was better than the Leafs, things would change.

To say nothing of the Sabres, who are pretty much entirely dependent on Canadian border-hopping to sell tickets.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Are they're Plans for or a arena that can hold a reasonable amount of people and is of NHL quality (Excluding Nassau LOL) Something like the MTS in winnipeg

15000ish and new

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
Are they're Plans for or a arena that can hold a reasonable amount of people and is of NHL quality (Excluding Nassau LOL) Something like the MTS in winnipeg

15000ish and new

Nope. Moncton plans to build a 10,000 seat arena for the QMJHL Wildcats. I'm sure they'll try to get some more NHL Preseason games, but that's it.

Halifax has the 10,000 seat Metro Centre. No reason to enlarge for their needs. Ditto for the Preseason games.

GreatCanadian

Nov 25, 2010
New Brunswick

15000ish and new

To answer your question, no. Not anytime soon.

The biggest arena around here is still Halifax Metro Centre at roughly 10,500 seats.

Moncton is looking at building a new downtown arena to replace the aging Moncton Coliseum (cap: 6,500), but that one would also seat roughly 10,000. The reason Moncton is building a new one is because the Coliseum has a very strange slanted roof and the scoreboard, for example, sits fairly low in relation to the ice surface. That design limits what kind of acts/concerts we can host. I read in the Times&Transcript that the Cirque du Soleil and several concerts had to be turned down because of it.

None of the cities are simply there yet for anything that big. We would have no regular use for a 15,000-seater right now.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
To answer your question, no. Not anytime soon.

The biggest arena around here is still Halifax Metro Centre at roughly 10,500 seats.

Moncton is looking at building a new downtown arena to replace the aging Moncton Coliseum (cap: 6,500), but that one would also seat roughly 10,000. The reason Moncton is building a new one is because the Coliseum has a very strange slanted roof and the scoreboard, for example, sits fairly low in relation to the ice surface. That design limits what kind of acts/concerts we can host. I read in the Times&Transcript that the Cirque du Soleil and several concerts had to be turned down because of it.

None of the cities are simply there yet for anything that big. We would have no regular use for a 15,000-seater right now.

Thats a shame because a Maritme team would be AWESOME

U need at least a 15000 seater filled 95 -100 % a night

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
After the lockout Canadian cities embraced hockey more than ever because they realized how boring their cities were without their signature sports team (places like winnipeg will feel this feeling eternally).

Have to disagree with you on that one. Winnipeg is plenty exciting without the Jets. In my opinion, this is the greatest city in the world -- murders, car thefts n' all. "Boring" is not a term that comes to mind when I think of Winnipeg. Getting our NHL team back would just make it even better.

I think a lot of outsiders have this warped idea that people in Winnipeg are somehow "stuck" here and would do just about anything to leave. This is not the case with a lot of us. I don't ever want to move.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
They used to sing both anthems at Jets games too, as I recall.

...although that may have only been when the visiting team was from the US.

Yeah...that is sorta what they do in every building.

10% is the rumoured amount of STH's in Buffalo that are Canadian. The Sabres seem to inflate this number when it benefits them......but it's generally been said to be around 10 to 15 percent of STH's.

No idea what the walk-up crowd is....basically impossible to tell...even for the Sabres.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Thats a shame because a Maritme team would be AWESOME

U need at least a 15000 seater filled 95 -100 % a night

14,250 is good enough then? Makes me wonder why so many people are griping about Atlanta's crowds..... :dunno:

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007

15000ish and new

Halifax is the biggest eastern market...and it is half the size of Winnipeg. So how exactly is a similar venue as Winnipeg's suitable?

It either needs to be smaller and less people with more money need to fill it...or it needs to be considerably larger so more people with less money can fill it.

Or am I wrong here and every market is good as long as they have a 15,000 seat venue?

Eastern Canada simply doesn't have enough people or money to even be considered.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
14,250 is good enough then? Makes me wonder why so many people are griping about Atlanta's crowds..... :dunno:

Too many giveaways and cheap tickets in Atlanta. If they were drawing 15 000+ a night at NHL calibre pricing and had any local television ratings at all I am sure this franchise would not have issues.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Too many giveaways and cheap tickets in Atlanta. If they were drawing 15 000+ a night at NHL calibre pricing and had any local television ratings at all I am sure this franchise would not have issues.

So....for Atlanta to not have an issue they need to draw more than Winnipeg (or a potential Canadian East Coast team) would have the ability to draw???

I know ticket prices make the difference and not just attendance. But do you really think an Eastern Canadian team in a market of under 400,000 could really sustain a franchise with higher average ticket prices and higher attendance than Atlanta? I don't. Not for a second.

If we're just looking at Canada.....Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City and another Toronto team are much better suited than an East Coast team.

3 teams in the Golden Horseshoe would have FAR better chances than a Halifax franchise. The Leafs, Kitchener & Hamilton would all have more people to draw from and generate more revenue than a Halifax team.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
sorry 95-100% paying FULL PRICE look at jetsowner.com if you want a breakdown of how a small arena that size would work

HA! Yeah...and I'll go to Alex Jones website to catch up on how US politics REALLY work.

That site is a joke.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
he's kept the faith all through the years and does try to ignore rumors so don't judge too quickly and his math is good

His math is absolute crap.

Everything on that site is an absolute mind screw.

That site is a big huge BS-fest. It is quite obvious he vaguely knows what is required and worked backwards from there to stroke the numbers to get the desired result.

Again....it is no different than me suggesting a link to a 'Loose Change' video and claiming it is an accurate way to judge how American Politics works and suggesting it is a good site to use for a history paper.

That site is absolute junk. I'm not sure how I can say it in any stronger words without them being *'d out....it's garbage. Absolute 'American Standard' content...

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
he's kept the faith all through the years and does try to ignore rumors so don't judge too quickly and his math is good

I just have to post again....because jetsowner.com disgusts me so much. Anyone that relies on that site for validation is a weak individual.

Please...PLEASE!...use your intelligence that I know you have and ignore that site. You are smarter than that....you can't rely on a media ***** that happened to create a website and skewed whatever he pleases to make things appear all peachy.

I feel like puking just thinking about that tripe.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad