Cory Schneider -- Our Saviour

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I'm surprised more people aren't excited about Cory and his future with us. If we had another guy in his mid 20's with the ability to be the best at his position going forward, people would be falling all over themselves. He's the real deal.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Schneider has played well enough this year answer any concerns about his ability to be the #1. No goalie is exempt from the occasional bad game so it's important to keep some perspective when looking at his performance. I'm pretty happy he's our goalie moving forward.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Cory Schneider currently has the best career save percentage of any goalie with at least 2000 shots against. (I realize that's not era adjusted).

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Cory Schneider currently has the best career save percentage of any goalie with at least 2000 shots against. (I realize that's not era adjusted).

Impressive!! Is it easy to show a list of goalies? I imagine most suffer from the end of career drop and this era has high save percentages but being the best in this stat is still great. He is very composed and battles even when team or himself is going bad. He has had a few bad starts like the first game of the year but normally you cannot tell the score by his demenour. Was great coming off the bench as a replacment as well. Too bad we did not put him in earlier in those Boston games.

googled a list for save percentage for goalies with over 250 games played and Lu was 4th all time on that list as well. Not bad for a guy who played a lot for non playoff teams.

Sidenote maybe Canadian goalie are overated Luongo the only Canadian goalie in top 10 Carey Price at 13. From 20 Brodeur to 39 Ray Emery there are 15 Canadian goalies!! Schneider goes not have the 200 game requirement to be on this list.

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Impressive!! Is it easy to show a list of goalies? I imagine most suffer from the end of career drop and this era has high save percentages but being the best in this stat is still great. He is very composed and battles even when team or himself is going bad. He has had a few bad starts like the first game of the year but normally you cannot tell the score by his demenour. Was great coming off the bench as a replacment as well. Too bad we did not put him in earlier in those Boston games.

http://hkref.com/tiny/lGKxF

Also, he has the second best SV% up to the age of 27 (behind Turco) of goalies who faced at least 2000 shots by that age:

http://hkref.com/tiny/mYe5Y

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
This is too funny, or at least it will be once the playoffs are done.

Cloutier was a great regular season goalie, blamed for multiple playoff meltdowns...

How about Lou, wasn't he the saviour at one point? Oh, wait, he's the problem now.

Now it's Schnieder's turn....

I feel sorry for the guy, he hasn't even won a single playoff series yet, but he's being annointed the new saviour! No pressure!

It's getting tired, at least he only has two years to be blamed for this teams playoff meltdowns before he can get out of here.

Then we can go to town on Lack and the 'why did we trade Lou? Gillis suxs!' threads can start!

So predictable it hurts :)-(

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Cloutier was never a 'great' regular season goalie unless you measure goalies by wins. In his best season he was only 13th amongst starters in SV%.

Nov 1, 2011
I'm stoked about Schneider but this is creepy...not necessarily in a bad way but still very creepy.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Cloutier was never a 'great' regular season goalie unless you measure goalies by wins. In his best season he was only 13th amongst starters in SV%.

Agreed. Cloutier was the definition of insulated in his time here. Overall, the team allowed very few shots, so the pedestrian save percentage was enough for Cloutier to hold the Canucks' GAA record until Luongo recently broke it.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Schneider has been elite at every level so it's no surprise to anyone that followed his career. the only thing that remains is, can he handle a large work load? even if he can't, I'm confident he will be a clutch playoff goalie when it matters.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Schneider has been elite at every level so it's no surprise to anyone that followed his career. the only thing that remains is, can he handle a large work load? even if he can't, I'm confident he will be a clutch playoff goalie when it matters.

I think the better question is... Can a large work load handle Cory Schneider?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Schneider is a great story for the Canucks. It's sometimes easy to forget that the Canucks drafted this guy out of high school. He's been slowly and methodically developed, coming through high school, college, the AHL and studying his craft as Luongo's backup in the NHL until finally becoming the starter for the Canucks.

This team can give themselves a pat on the back for drafting and developing a player who is becoming one of the best netminders in the league. The way he turns aside onslaughts of shots seemingly game in and game out makes it seem like he'll soon join the ranks of elite goalies along with Lundqvist, Rinne and Quick. He's not just good at what he does. He consistently SAVES this team, masking the fact that the defense is actually pretty porous.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Schneider is a great story for the Canucks. It's sometimes easy to forget that the Canucks drafted this guy out of high school. He's been slowly and methodically developed, coming through high school, college, the AHL and studying his craft as Luongo's backup in the NHL until finally becoming the starter for the Canucks.

This team can give themselves a pat on the back for drafting and developing a player who is becoming one of the best netminders in the league. The way he turns aside onslaughts of shots seemingly game in and game out makes it seem like he'll soon join the ranks of elite goalies along with Lundqvist, Rinne and Quick. He's not just good at what he does. He consistently SAVES this team, masking the fact that the defense is actually pretty porous.

I wonder if the defense is just spoiled with elite goaltanding so they put in minimal efforts more often than not. they honestly play like a bottom 5 defense at times but have the players to be a top 5 defense.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I wonder if the defense is just spoiled with elite goaltanding so they put in minimal efforts more often than not. they honestly play like a bottom 5 defense at times but have the players to be a top 5 defense.

This is exactly how I feel. Nobody can actually look at the personnel the Canucks have on the back end and call them a bad defense unit. I don't know if a new D coach is needed or maybe a new system. Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard and Tanev are capable of way more as a group.

That being said, part of me doesn't mind letting Schneider see a lot of shots. Rinne sees a ton of shots and a lot of people like to say that the Predators are one of the best defensive teams in the league. I guess it depends on the quality of shots the goalie is facing, though. The heaps of chances the Canucks give up don't exactly make me feel comfortable, regardless of if the goalie is making the saves or not.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Everyone talks about how classy Luongo has been throughout this whole trade rumor situation, how about Schneider and how he has handled the situation for essentially his whole career? Nothing but team first.

Hal 9000*

Everyone talks about how classy Luongo has been throughout this whole trade rumor situation, how about Schneider and how he has handled the situation for essentially his whole career? Nothing but team first.

He handled being a back-up the way any back-up should. When he sat for a stretch this year, he *****ed - fair enough! No kudos needed.

The real test will be when he resigns.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Cory has always been calm. Handled the situation? He's dancing in the streets. He just stole the #1 spot from one of the best goalies in the league and on one of the best teams in the league. Yeah, poor Cory. :shakehead If he wasn't calm and did make a big deal about it, he'd be getting Coho'd.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Joke thread or not, Schneider should be the franchise player now. He's the one who keeps us in every game. He has his lapses, but looking at our team's style/defense, I can't hold that against him.

He's a good goalie. The league is full of good goalies, but that doesn't mean a good goalie like Schneider should go unappreciated or undervalued.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Cory has always been calm. Handled the situation? He's dancing in the streets. He just stole the #1 spot from one of the best goalies in the league and on one of the best teams in the league. Yeah, poor Cory. :shakehead If he wasn't calm and did make a big deal about it, he'd be getting Coho'd.

I'm talking about how long this situation has dragged on with Luongo still being here and Schneider expecting to fully take over the reigns. I think they were always his to begin with, though.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver

He didn't steal anything- he earned his position. Luongo had a chance this season, and was almost successful, at taking the position back but he didn't. Luongo has handled the situation gracefully with respect to the media, but Luongo let the trade rumours affect his game. How else do you want to explain a .904 save percentage, when Schneider has a .926 behind the exact same team?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He didn't steal anything- he earned his position. Luongo had a chance this season, and was almost successful, at taking the position back but he didn't. Luongo has handled the situation gracefully with respect to the media, but Luongo let the trade rumours affect his game. How else do you want to explain a .904 save percentage, when Schneider has a .926 behind the exact same team?

Soft stretch in the schedule. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad