Corsi and Advanced Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

camper*

You're mired in the mindset of three games, we're looking at 82. There is nothing to worry about.

This team is still the number ONE score-adjusted Fenwick team and the number four score-adjusted Corsi team. Nothing is more reliable for success than score-adjusted possession numbers.

If the snail stays in its shell(claiming possession) it dies....it must physically move its shell to survive:nod:....time to revert to pound and ground...giving up the puck with more dump and chase...then punishing the opp....will be key ....you may give them possession yet punish them enough they wont want the puck(turn over)(when trapped) force them to hide in their shells:laugh:.......playoff teams have been doing it since the game was invented...give the other guys the puck and force them to make mistakes.....giving up the puck is not a bad thing..as long as you want it back more than they want to handle it;).....eg...p.p....teams allow the p.p. to stay outside..looks good on paper and poss/numbers but its nowhere as you are seeing.....they invite you in(box) yet you will not come:shakehead
Now you force turnover passes(picked off constantly)...teams know our p.p. personel..give them some credit,:nod:
P.s.....you can change the game back to carry it in....but once they realize you will dump again at any time(keeping them off balance)...as of the last few losses....we have stuck to plan A...it didn't work?

REMEMBER TEAMS ARE ADJUSTING TO YOU.....time to adjust also:nod:
Time for a side bar on this possession stuff...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

BroadwayJay*

If the snail stays in its shell(claiming possession) it dies....it must physically move its shell to survive:nod:....time to revert to pound and ground...giving up the puck with more dump and chase...then punishing the opp....will be key ....you may give them possession yet punish them enough they wont want the puck(turn over)(when trapped) force them to hide in their shells:laugh:.......playoff teams have been doing it since the game was invented...give the other guys the puck and force them to make mistakes.....giving up the puck is not a bad thing..as long as you want it back more than they want to handle it;).....eg...p.p....teams allow the p.p. to stay outside..looks good on paper and poss/numbers but its nowhere as you are seeing.....they invite you in(box) yet you will not come:shakehead
Now you force turnover passes(picked off constantly)...teams know our p.p. personel..give them some credit,:nod:
P.s.....you can change the game back to carry it in....but once they realize you will dump again at any time(keeping them off balance)...as of the last few losses....we have stuck to plan A...it didn't work?

Reading this is like trying to translate the words of the zodiac killer.

BroadwayJay*

Yeah, LA is one of the top five possession teams in the league. Sucks for whoever draws them in the first round.

When their shooting percentage catches up, they'll go on a tear. Be afraid Western Conference, be very afraid.

BroadwayJay*

The only thing I got out of this is that you want to see the team dump and chase. You could have just said that instead of whatever all this is.

"this team:naughty:...needs to dump:nod:...and chase:laugh:...more:nod:" would have sufficed just fine.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
not to mention, possessing the puck isn't some strategy that other teams adapt to. it's a zero sum game, either you possess the puck or your opponent does.

Dump and chase is only effective for you if your a team (or line) who generally isnt great at zone entry but yet you have the forecheckers to go get the puck in the offensive zone. This works for a line of guys like Clutterbuck and Martin who don't stickhandle all too well but can beat you into a pulp. It's not ideal for guys like Tavares, Bailey, Okposo, Nielsen, etc.

BroadwayJay*

not to mention, possessing the puck isn't some strategy that other teams adapt to. it's a zero sum game, either you possess the puck or your opponent does.

Dump and chase is only effective for you if your a team (or line) who generally isnt great at zone entry but yet you have the forecheckers to go get the puck in the offensive zone. This works for a line of guys like Clutterbuck and Martin who don't stickhandle all too well but can beat you into a pulp. It's not ideal for guys like Tavares, Bailey, Okposo, Nielsen, etc.

This is 100% correct and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Dump and chase is something you resort to when you can't make entries otherwise.

camper*

Reading this is like trying to translate the words of the zodiac killer.

Its meant for those who can read between the blanks....spelling out too much may/will tell hockey backround;).....Liberating/expanding true avenues of others hockey minds is key......think of this as a forum where morris code is used by some:laugh:...count the dots and dashes......then there are the Pointed Sticks of the world who add a little flair with their postings....also in effort to revive or jog minds stuck believing in one man teams etc:shakehead

As for translation as you mention....exactly....I think we are opening your horizons....forget paper trails;)

A sidebar is still in order:nod:

BroadwayJay*

Its meant for those who can read between the blanks....spelling out too much may/will tell hockey backround;).....Liberating/expanding true avenues of others hockey minds is key......think of this as a forum where morris code is used by some:laugh:...count the dots and dashes......then there are the Pointed Sticks of the world who add a little flair with their postings....also in effort to revive or jog minds stuck believing in one man teams etc:shakehead

As for translation as you mention....exactly....I think we are opening your horizons....forget paper trails;)

A sidebar is still in order:nod:

I can't read this one either. Is it in "morris code"? Are you talking about the zodiac killer? I have no idea what you're writing about.

In this thread the topic is "Corsi and Advanced Stats" and I don't see any of that touched upon whatsoever.

camper*

I can't read this one either. Is it in "morris code"? Are you talking about the zodiac killer? I have no idea what you're writing about.

In this thread the topic is "Corsi and Advanced Stats" and I don't see any of that touched upon whatsoever.

Me thinks you have been in private practice too long....clients might help...Corsi clients maybe:laugh:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
When their shooting percentage catches up, they'll go on a tear. Be afraid Western Conference, be very afraid.

That is if the Kings haven't dug themselves a hole too deep to climb out of. Currently 7 points out of 3rd place in the Pacific, as well as 5 points out of the last wild card spot with 4 teams to jump over.

BroadwayJay*

That is if the Kings haven't dug themselves a hole too deep to climb out of. Currently 7 points out of 3rd place in the Pacific, as well as 5 points out of the last wild card spot with 4 teams to jump over.

They'll catch up. Calgary is going to have problems and the Avalanche are not good.

BroadwayJay*

I believe they will catch up as well, but the "60 Minutes" stopwatch has started ticking on their season.

True, but like I said they are due to rebound while Calgary and Colorado should collapse.

It would be a surprise if LAK doesn't make the playoffs.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
Charts from Last Night Versus Flyers

256yed3.png

xlh35s.png

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Advanced stat of the day

Okay here's one from Micah Blake McCurdy, and as usual without any methods explanation:

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Was having an interesting discussion in the Evander Kane thread. Looking at his CF% and FF% numbers i was a bit unimpressed. He wasn't terrible mind you, 52.8% and 52.4% respectively, but he wasn't at what I'd consider "good" for a guy making what he makes and def not someone we'd look to put on a 1st line and pay a premium price for.

His numbers were more akin to a Cizikas or Nelson type than an Okposo or Grabo.

The Jets overall are a pretty decent possession team (7th in CF% 11th in FF%), so I don't completely buy the argument that he was being "dragged down" by those around him.

Last edited:

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
You stole my Advanced Stat of the Day, Islanders1932! :laugh:

Sorry about that Charlie! Was just really hoping someone was up to talk about it because there were some interesting takes from those charts. I'll make sure to leave it to you next time! :)

The charts show that the 4th line didn't have a great game and that was confirmed in the corsi table from last night. Clutterbucks goal came when he wasn't on the 4th line.

BroadwayJay*

Was having an interesting discussion in the Evander Kane thread. Looking at his CF% and FF% numbers i was a bit unimpressed. He wasn't terrible mind you, 52.8% and 52.4% respectively, but he wasn't at what I'd consider "good" for a guy making what he makes and def not someone we'd look to put on a 1st line and pay a premium price for.

His numbers were more akin to a Cizikas or Nelson type than an Okposo or Grabo.

The Jets overall are a pretty decent possession team (7th in CF% 11th in FF%), so I don't completely buy the argument that he was being "dragged down" by those around him.

I'd be more interested in his relative CF and relative FF. They're both just slightly above average for the team. That's not a red flag so long as his team is doing well. If the team is doing awful and the relative corsi is not good, that's a concern.

If we were to acquire him, I'd do a full analysis. Until that happens, I don't think it is worth the time.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Sorry about that Charlie! Was just really hoping someone was up to talk about it because there were some interesting takes from those charts. I'll make sure to leave it to you next time! :)

The charts show that the 4th line didn't have a great game and that was confirmed in the corsi table from last night. Clutterbucks goal came when he wasn't on the 4th line.

Haha no problem at all. The more the merrier.

Regarding the fourth line, yeah I think that might have been due to Martin's absence/injury. It's always tricky interpreting single-game stats though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad