Corsi and Advanced Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I don't want to open this up to the main board, since discussions get out of whack there, but keeping this Islanders-focused, I simply don't get the fascination with advanced stats. Seems to be that people (the media, some posters) are simply throwing out numbers as science without enough scrutiny of whether they are even valid. It's pretending to be scientific without any scientific method or thought.

I am by no means an expert on advanced stats. I read the reports, visited the websites, heard from the Mirtles of the world, understand the discussion from both sides.

What I haven't heard from ANYONE is an example of how you would use it to make a roster decision and let's use the NYI as an example.

My hypothesis is that these "advanced stats" are hardly advanced. The results, sorted top to bottom, are more random than insightful. I've sorted the NYI players (40games plus) top to bottom by Corsi Relative. At the top, deHaan (who was outstanding last year), then Brock Nelson, Matt Donovan and Josh Bailey. Hardly the "top four" of anything on this team, by EVERYONE's opinion. Our best players (by EVERYONE's opinion, Tavares, Okposo, Hamonic, Frans are RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE).

This seems to be the same random (if not random, then certainly showing no actionable pattern) list regardless of what metric you choose (Fenwick, PDO, etc.)

So, can someone please explain what insights Corsi (or advanced stats in general) we can gleam based on last year's NYI season?

It's quite easy to cherry pick any stat to make a point, which is easily done with any of the several stats out there. But upon further analysis, using that same criteria/logic, the same number shows results that simply defy logic (as in Brad Boyes, Mark Streit and John Tavares having the worst PDO on the Isles in 2012-13, Cizikas and Okposo the best) YET, in 2013-14 Zeeker is among the WORST and Tavares at the top.

Random and pointless.

I don't want to dismiss the spirit of advanced stats out of hand, but when you apply some critical thinking, the stats simply don't stand up.

Now, I also believe that maybe we don't (currently) have the right stats to measure effectiveness of a player in the context of a free-flowing game like hockey, with so many variables continually in play.

Just because we have some numbers available and some, seemingly logical hypothesis can exist, that doesn't mean they are valid in any way.

And for context, I've looked at the same sets of data on several teams, over several seasons, and the lack of real insights is fairly consistent. In teams that I've seen the most hockey first hand (like the Leafs, Isles) and even teams like LA, CHI (Kane is 13th on the team in Corsi Relative for example) or DET where Datsyuk is 16th in PDO - I'm sorry, this just doesn't add up.

Would love to hear from those who see this differently and can point out specific examples where a roster decision can be made based on some stats, that, by applying the same logic, would yield consistent results to give the metric real, actionable value.

This has been irking me for some time, and it's the off-season, so maybe now is the best time to discuss this, if anyone's into it. If not, camps are only a few weeks away :)

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
Not going to get too into this, but I'll give my quick take on advanced stats.

Corsi and Fenwick isn't really telling who our best player is/was, it's really just who our best possession players were, and who generated more shots on goal, then shots against, while they were on the ice.

PDO is really just a stat too show how lucky/unlucky a player has been, Cizikas' low PDO means he didn't have much luck this year, which could explain the meh year he just had.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Not going to get too into this, but I'll give my quick take on advanced stats.

Corsi and Fenwick isn't really telling who our best player is/was, it's really just who our best possession players were, and who generated more shots on goal, then shots against, while they were on the ice.

PDO is really just a stat too show how lucky/unlucky a player has been, Cizikas' low PDO means he didn't have much luck this year, which could explain the meh year he just had.

Exactly. With that said, there is more to being a successful in hockey than the bolded.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I won't lie I don't follow advanced stats much but do they take into consideration if you on the ice against Crosby, Chara or some 4th liner or bottom pairing defensemen?

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I agree. Just an interesting thing to look at now and see what correlates. But it isn't for building a roster.

Corsi numbers are missing one major component to make them useful: quality. I'll take 1 John Tavares corsi event in the slot over 5 Clutterbuck corsi events floated into the goaltenders crest from center ice.

This is the major issue I have with people pushing stats for the future. The advanced stats (and basic stats) are a cool way to dig deeper at what has already happened. It adds some statistical explanation for why things fell a certain way. They aren't great for predicting what will be better for the future. We learn that more corsi events correlate to more scoring chances, but that doesn't necessarily mean that attempting to get more corsi would mean more goals. Correlation, not causation.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
If "advanced" statistics had no place in hockey then NHL teams wouldn't be hiring entire analytic departments or subscribing to companies such as Bloomberg Sports for their analytics services.

The important thing is to at least approach them with an open mind. A lot of people dismiss Corsi just because it portrays their favorite players in a less favorable light. I know that because when "Sabremetric" stats showed that Derek Jeter was a godawful SS I rejected them just like how people get emotional when Corsi is mean to Travis Hamonic.

Then there's the Old School contingent (I'm certainly not!) who have this romanticized notion that statistics take away the emotion and spontaneity of the game they grew up with.

And Corsi is like On Base Percentage. We know when watching both games that outshooting/possessing the team is a good strategy to win as is walking. Yet when purists look at these stats they are dismissed for some reason. Maybe it's because they are not perfect. But that's the way all stats are! In 10 years Corsi will be considered archaic and we'll find some statistic that has a higher correlation to team success. OPS may be standard in television broadcasts but it was considered revolutionary a couple of decades ago. Now the stat guys are using fancy schmancy stuff like wRC, wOBA, etc. It certainly beats blind faith in our unqualified, biased eyes (the eye test is not infallible)

I appreciate that you have actually looked into these concepts rather than dismissing them based entirely on emotional reaction. It's more than I can say for most people.

Last edited:

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
If "advanced" statistics had no place in hockey then NHL teams wouldn't be hiring entire analytic departments or subscribing to companies such as Bloomberg Sports for their analytics services.

The important thing is to at least approach them with an open mind. A lot of people dismiss Corsi just because it portrays their favorite players in a less favorable light. I know that because when "Sabremetric" stats showed that Derek Jeter was a godawful SS I rejected them just like how people get emotional when Corsi is mean to Travis Hamonic.

Then there's the Old School contingent (I'm certainly not!) who have this romanticized notion that statistics take away the emotion and spontaneity of the game they grew up with.

I'll take Al Arbour over a calculator, myself.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
Interesting read. I'm a huge soccer fan being English, and whilst there is an abundance of stats out there we don't really pay attention to them as a nation because we judge players on quality and ability as it happens and a general emotive "feel" of what a player brings to a team.

When we looks at ex-Engkand captain John Terry we know that statistically he is right up there for clearing corners, desperation tackles, passing out from his own end, all that good stuff. But if you look at someone else in his team like Cesar Azpicuelta, his numbers make him look even better, like some kind of a marauding dynamo who can do it all. The truth is he's a good player but there isn't a pundit on the planet that would have him over Terry.

Advanced stats etc have their place within analysis but I do think they skew the view of teams and players. I pay attention to them on occasion where I see a relevance but at the same time I can't belive the theory behind any statistical analysis that has Josh Bailey at the upper end of anything.

Sportsmen are always judged on intangibles that numbers cannot predict. Heart, team spirit, work ethic, all that good stuff. Statistics might tell you he spends a good amount of time with the puck, but what does that matter if his shooting sucks or he makes passes where he should be putting it on net?

Just my two cents

BroadwayJay*

I don't want to open this up to the main board, since discussions get out of whack there, but keeping this Islanders-focused, I simply don't get the fascination with advanced stats. Seems to be that people (the media, some posters) are simply throwing out numbers as science without enough scrutiny of whether they are even valid. It's pretending to be scientific without any scientific method or thought.

Lets hammer out a few predicate issues. No one is pretending to be scientific, although disregarding stats is significantly LESS scientific. It is an issue of credibility. Either you can support your assertions, or you cannot. If someone makes an assertion (Travis Hamonic sucks) and their only support is (Didn't you watch him? He sucks!) conclusory, then that person has no credibility. Supporting an assertion is what I'm interested in.

Next issue is that I don't think these stats are advanced in any way. They are nothing like WAR, or VORP, or any of the ACTUAL advanced stats that people use in baseball. None of them are any more advanced than +/-, however they are infinitely more useful.

I am by no means an expert on advanced stats. I read the reports, visited the websites, heard from the Mirtles of the world, understand the discussion from both sides.

What I haven't heard from ANYONE is an example of how you would use it to make a roster decision and let's use the NYI as an example.

I think I've said QUITE a bit on this topic, even building a predictive model and agreeing to input any lineup anyone has asked for... However, putting that aside, I'll take the bait and continue on. I will re-answer the first inquiry in a bit here.0

My hypothesis is that these "advanced stats" are hardly advanced.

Wholly agreed. Nothing advanced at all. Really quite simple stuff.

The results, sorted top to bottom, are more random than insightful. I've sorted the NYI players (40games plus) top to bottom by Corsi Relative. At the top, deHaan (who was outstanding last year), then Brock Nelson, Matt Donovan and Josh Bailey. Hardly the "top four" of anything on this team, by EVERYONE's opinion. Our best players (by EVERYONE's opinion, Tavares, Okposo, Hamonic, Frans are RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE).

First off, you're starting from the assumption that you already know the answer. That is a problem but one we can ignore for now.

Second, Corsi relative merely tells us one simple thing: How does the TEAM perform, in terms of shots towards the other net compared to shots towards its own, when this guy is on the ice. There are countless factors that go into this inquiry. Most importantly are, whether the guy is playing against tougher competition, whether he was sheltered by playing with the best teammates, whether he started in the OZ or the DZ, how many minutes he played, and others.

If you rely on relative Corsi alone, you'll get a good picture of how a guy does relative to his similarly situated teammates. That picture always has caveats attached, but generally it will tell you something valuable, such as whether a guy was performing well at keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

And lets consider the guys you are discussing:

Josh Bailey - everyone's complaint is that he doesn't shoot enough. So what does that tell us, he's in the offensive zone PASSING too much. THIS is entirely in line with his good corsi numbers. The goals come because he doesn't shoot enough. This is a guy who lines up entirely with the anti-stats crowd, but they don't realize the implications.

Matt Donovan - everyone's complaint is that he gives up bad turnovers (on bad pinches) that turn into goals. This tells us that he is IN the offensive zone moving the puck around and he gets hung up and makes a mistake that turns into ONE corsi event but also turns into a goal. This is a complicated issue that I've discussed at length, and I won't belabor it yet again, but the above comports entirely with his corsi numbers. Corsi isn't telling us whether someone gets a "bellringer" chance. It tells whether more shots go to the opposing net while he's on the ice. That is true of Donovan. If those handful of bad turnovers are saves, no one is complaining about Matt Donovan.

Brock Nelson is an outstander player and so is de Haan. With regular minutes on the top line Brock Nelson could very well be a star on this team. We can discuss his play further at another time, if you like.

The Islanders have some strangely skewed numbers because one of the worst players in the NHL had a lot of minutes on our team: Andrew MacDonald. He dragged down some of our best players because they played with him so much. We can get into that deeper point later.

This seems to be the same random (if not random, then certainly showing no actionable pattern) list regardless of what metric you choose (Fenwick, PDO, etc.)

The problem is that you want ONE metric to tell you all the answers. It doesn't work that way. We use them all in conjunction to get a good picture of what has happened on the ice and how we know who is letting us down and who is bringing us up. Corsi is the most valuable of any of the individual metrics.

So, can someone please explain what insights Corsi (or advanced stats in general) we can gleam based on last year's NYI season?

Where do I begin:

1) Matt Donovan is a good possession player who made some bad defensive mistakes that were made glaring by bad goaltending.

2) Andrew MacDonald was a complete disaster who wasted more of JT's time than any other player to step out on the ice with him. Anytime MacDonald was on the ice with JT, shots generated goes down, and shots allowed goes up. The opposite is also true.

3) Travis Hamonic is playing some of the most difficult minutes in the NHL - and still excelling.

4) Brian Strait is a possession disaster.

5) Matt Carkner is not as bad as we all think (but still bad)

6) de Haan is an absolute stud (and Matt Donovan is potentially a COMPARABLE player if he can solve some issues)

7) Vis is STILL an excellent possession defenseman (when he can play)

8) Casey Cizikas and Matt Martin were horrendous together, coming out on the ice after every goal allowed and getting the team outshot almost every time.

9) Michael Grabner is one of the best PKers in the league, suppressing more corsi events during shorthanded time than anyone else in the NHL.

10) Jack Capuano is a moron because he did not use Michael Grabner in first PK situations.

I could go on but I think I've given you from food for thought. All of the above comes from the "fancy stats". All of it helps us understand the value of our assets. All of these points could trigger great discussions, but it is my view that it would be best be done in individual threads: Player Discussion: Josh Bailey, Fancy Stats Discussion.

It's quite easy to cherry pick any stat to make a point, which is easily done with any of the several stats out there. But upon further analysis, using that same criteria/logic, the same number shows results that simply defy logic (as in Brad Boyes, Mark Streit and John Tavares having the worst PDO on the Isles in 2012-13, Cizikas and Okposo the best) YET, in 2013-14 Zeeker is among the WORST and Tavares at the top.

PDO Is a stat that I don't put much stock in. It supposedly tell you whether someone is underperforming, or overperforming. Supposedly it is "puck luck". I, however, do not agree with that and I think it has little value and therefore never found a use for it. I can't defend PDO because I just don't see the merits of it.

Random and pointless.

I think you're missing the value because you're looking at it as "traditional stats" and "advanced stats" instead of reviewing individual statistics in conjunction with others which is where the value is. PDO isn't very useful, in my opinion. Corsi relative is very useful. Team Corsi is undeniably useful.

I don't want to dismiss the spirit of advanced stats out of hand, but when you apply some critical thinking, the stats simply don't stand up.

These kinds of assertions are what I take issue with. This simply isn't true. You're basically saying that I, BroadwayJay, do not apply critical thinking. This is insulting and untrue. I know you don't mean it that way, so I'm not taking it personally; but the way it is phrased is unfair. Really you mean that you couldn't draw out what you were expecting to see. Your expectations may be too high. Alternatively, you may not know what you're seeing. Nothing wrong with either of those.

Now, I also believe that maybe we don't (currently) have the right stats to measure effectiveness of a player in the context of a free-flowing game like hockey, with so many variables continually in play.

Probably true, but we're working on it and we have some really good stuff already.

Just because we have some numbers available and some, seemingly logical hypothesis can exist, that doesn't mean they are valid in any way.

Theories are theories. You can replace your argument here with climate change and it would be the same. We work with what we have to try and understand the game better. The numbers are real. They are recorded on-ice events. That's it. None of these stats are advanced more than +/- in any way. Ignoring what we have for no reason at all is not a useful exercise.

And for context, I've looked at the same sets of data on several teams, over several seasons, and the lack of real insights is fairly consistent.

You're indicating that you started by knowing what SHOULD be there, which is a problem of course. If what you see in the stats doesn't comport with what you think you know, you should rethink what you think you saw and not just say the stats are wrong.

In teams that I've seen the most hockey first hand (like the Leafs, Isles) and even teams like LA, CHI (Kane is 13th on the team in Corsi Relative for example) or DET where Datsyuk is 16th in PDO - I'm sorry, this just doesn't add up.

Patrick Kane is really NOT a superb possession player. He's a shooter, like Thomas Vanek. Really valuable player, but not necessarily for possession. Also, the Blackhawks use their players in a unique way so that, for example, some forwards play extremely sheltered minutes (Morin) and others do not. We can talk more about Coach Q's unique deployments in another post too.

Would love to hear from those who see this differently and can point out specific examples where a roster decision can be made based on some stats, that, by applying the same logic, would yield consistent results to give the metric real, actionable value.

I would LOVE to do that. And thank you for saying this.

The most obvious would be (1) pulling MacDonald from any contact with the Tavares line (or any line) [already done] and (2) moving a possession driver [someone without big points but great corsi, for now] who can create more shooting opportunities for Tavares and Okposo, someone like Brock Nelson or possibly Josh Bailey.

I made a predictive model based on Corsi which I then used to "predict" last season based on our starting roster. It returned awful numbers that were surprisingly consistent with our actual numbers. Obviously we had many lineup changes, etc... but it gave a pretty good picture of the predictive power of corsi and corsi relative. I've been planning to make it more accurate based on certain additional statistics (penalty +/-, zone starts, and others) and we can slot in players and see where we end up.

Right now, the model has us, assuming no injuries, as probably the fourth best team in the East (were it 13-14). That's not too shabby.

This has been irking me for some time, and it's the off-season, so maybe now is the best time to discuss this, if anyone's into it. If not, camps are only a few weeks away :)

I'm really glad you brought this topic up, but I think there is just SO SO SO much to talk about that one thread doesn't cover it.

I'm overjoyed to discuss this, but I would ask we confine it to one topic at a time.

I should probably prepare a "fancy stats" primer to help folks understand the usage.

Another poster recently told me that the way we statpeople talk about the stats makes it hard to follow:

Example:

"So I was looking at Nelson's CF%rel and I think when you look at the ZS% and his QoT you have to wonder where he'd be if...."

That's hard to understand.

I liken it to my own line of work:

JUDGE: "Alright I have a decision on the motions. I'm ordering Wade, Mapp, Dunaway/Huntley. We'll do Sandoval right before trial and anything in limine at that time."

Its that jargon that no one else can understand. Whereas, "we're going to have a hearing about whether the initial stop was lawful" is something you can understand.

I'm working on that and I would encourage anyone, at any time, to say "Hey Jay, what did you mean when you said 'Kulemin's WOWY numbers with Grabo are off the charts', speak English to me bud".

I really think we can have some great exchanges and get a good grasp on where our team has been and where it is going if I can learn to communicate a little better. So feel free to ask!

And thank you for asking this question.

BroadwayJay*

For the tl;dr crowd, I'll just repost the main inquiry from above:

1) Matt Donovan is a good possession player who made some bad defensive mistakes that were made glaring by bad goaltending.

2) Andrew MacDonald was a complete disaster who wasted more of JT's time than any other player to step out on the ice with him. Anytime MacDonald was on the ice with JT, shots generated goes down, and shots allowed goes up. The opposite is also true.

3) Travis Hamonic is playing some of the most difficult minutes in the NHL - and still excelling.

6) de Haan is an absolute stud (and Matt Donovan is potentially a COMPARABLE player if he can solve some issues)

8) Casey Cizikas and Matt Martin were horrendous together, coming out on the ice after every goal allowed and getting the team outshot almost every time.

9) Michael Grabner is one of the best PKers in the league, suppressing more corsi events during shorthanded time than anyone else in the NHL.

10) Jack Capuano is a moron because he did not use Michael Grabner in first PK situations.

If you want to discuss how we draw these conclusions based on statistics, I'm overjoyed to do that.

I'll be in court much of the morning but I'll be happy to do so later in the day.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Where do I begin:

I think you're missing the value because you're looking at it as "traditional stats" and "advanced stats" instead of reviewing individual statistics in conjunction with others which is where the value is. PDO isn't very useful, in my opinion. Corsi relative is very useful. Team Corsi is undeniably useful.

These kinds of assertions are what I take issue with. This simply isn't true. You're basically saying that I, BroadwayJay, do not apply critical thinking. This is insulting and untrue. I know you don't mean it that way, so I'm not taking it personally; but the way it is phrased is unfair. Really you mean that you couldn't draw out what you were expecting to see. Your expectations may be too high. Alternatively, you may not know what you're seeing. Nothing wrong with either of those.

----

Theories are theories. You can replace your argument here with climate change and it would be the same. We work with what we have to try and understand the game better. The numbers are real. They are recorded on-ice events. That's it. None of these stats are advanced more than +/- in any way. Ignoring what we have for no reason at all is not a useful exercise.

----

You're indicating that you started by knowing what SHOULD be there, which is a problem of course. If what you see in the stats doesn't comport with what you think you know, you should rethink what you think you saw and not just say the stats are wrong.
----
I'm really glad you brought this topic up, but I think there is just SO SO SO much to talk about that one thread doesn't cover it.

I'm overjoyed to discuss this, but I would ask we confine it to one topic at a time.

I should probably prepare a "fancy stats" primer to help folks understand the usage.

I really think we can have some great exchanges and get a good grasp on where our team has been and where it is going if I can learn to communicate a little better. So feel free to ask!

Thanks for the detailed answer, I'll need some time to digest and good point about somewhat confining the discussion.

I generally agree that more stats can be better than less stats and that existing stats are hardly an accurate measure of "who's better, who should play more or less, in whatever situation" - but that doesn't necessarily mean that the advanced stats are any better, in fact, may be worse by drawing false conclusions by measuring the wrong things.

For example, maybe if Grabner's on the 1st PK unit, against the opponents 1st PK unit (of which we don't have a statistic because Capuano doesn't use him) - maybe his advanced stats go WAY DOWN. Maybe because the first PP unit has Perry Getzlaf Penner who are like caged animals in the corners and Grabs would get killed and is better suited to the second units with smaller guys like Cogliano, Koivu. That's one simple example.

Similar to "if Grabs played more minutes he'd get way more points" or "if Grabs was on the PP he'd score a dozen more goals" - yet, maybe the types of scoring chances Grabs gets, is BECAUSE he doesn't play a lot of minutes and is used in spot PK duty and on the 3rd line.

Also, how does one evaluates QOC exactly? What's the criteria?

Is Kris Draper harder to play against because his job is just to shut down an opponent? or is it Crosby who's role is all offense (and also responsible defensively?)

Is Ovechkin a "hard" player to play against? He's incredibly gifted and dangerous offensively, takes a zillion shots on net, but doesn't back-check - so would Tavares find it "EASY" to play vs. Ovechkin compared to say, Cizikas?

The problem is not in the assumption that we know the answers ahead of the stats (like I'm sure we all agree that Tavares is better than Brock Nelson and that if you change their roles, ice time, linemates, context, the Islanders would not likely be better off). It seems to be that the numbers in advanced stats in and of themselves are laced with false assumptions and conclusions as much as plus-minus is.

How does Cizikas go from best to worst in CORSI from one year to the next, essentially the same team, same linemates, similar results in terms of playing conditions, QOC, etc? Is there any predictabilty or forecasting when there's such disparity year over year?

We should attack one of these at a time, I'll put some thought into some logical "agenda" or order that makes sense. It's tough because they are flow into one another.

Appreciate the answers.

Last edited:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I won't lie I don't follow advanced stats much but do they take into consideration if you on the ice against Crosby, Chara or some 4th liner or bottom pairing defensemen?

Yes, there's QoC (Quality of Competition).

For anyone interested, I think extraskater.com is the best site for this.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
PDO Is a stat that I don't put much stock in. It supposedly tell you whether someone is underperforming, or overperforming. Supposedly it is "puck luck". I, however, do not agree with that and I think it has little value and therefore never found a use for it. I can't defend PDO because I just don't see the merits of it.

Thanks for the response BroadwayJay.

I wanted to point out my take on PDO as I see it very similar to BABIP in baseball. As a quick primer for the uninitiated: BABIP is 'batting average on balls in play'. So, it doesn't count any at bat where the ball is not actually in play on the field for the defense to do something with: Strikeouts, Home Runs, and Sac Flys.

Unlike traditional stats that try to pit two numbers together (on a hopefully even playing field) to see what number is better, PDO and BABIP tell us more about how 'normal' of a season a player is having. Most stats tell us who is the better player. The advanced stats try to drive at who is playing better when the regular stats are not capturing the full picture. PDO and BABIP are telling us who is having an unsustainable run, either positively or negatively.

Baseball example: a player over the course of half a season has a ton of off-the-end-of-the-bat ground ball singles and another ton of bloop singles that somehow find a hole in the defense. All of the quantitative stats will show a great season. Good AVG, good OBP, good OPS, etc. However, his BABIP would be far above the mean. So it isn't saying high BABIP means great player. It's more like high BABIP means quirky season that ends up evening out over time. Conversely, a player could have very low AVG/OBP numbers but hitting the ball on the nose every time right to a fielder. The low BABIP would show, in general, that he is getting unlucky.

For PDO, it is essentially "advanced" shooting percentage. People love to pull out this number to show how a player is having an unsustainable season and will eventually regress up or down to the mean. It is also important to note, that some players will have better than average career BABIP or PDO. For instance, Ichiro is great at legging out infield singles, giving him a higher than normal BABIP. A hockey player could be a real sharpshooter. Etc.

I think it is just important to note that PDO is not a determinant of success. It is just showing what went on. If Cizikas had an off-season and a terribly low PDO compared to his previous seasons, it could show us just an unlucky year as opposed to offering up a conclusion of whether we have a deteriorating player or not -- because, it is not a predictive stat.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Lets hammer out a few predicate issues. No one is pretending to be scientific, although disregarding stats is significantly LESS scientific. It is an issue of credibility. Either you can support your assertions, or you cannot. If someone makes an assertion (Travis Hamonic sucks) and their only support is (Didn't you watch him? He sucks!) conclusory, then that person has no credibility. Supporting an assertion is what I'm interested in.

Next issue is that I don't think these stats are advanced in any way. They are nothing like WAR, or VORP, or any of the ACTUAL advanced stats that people use in baseball. None of them are any more advanced than +/-, however they are infinitely more useful.

I think I've said QUITE a bit on this topic, even building a predictive model and agreeing to input any lineup anyone has asked for... However, putting that aside, I'll take the bait and continue on. I will re-answer the first inquiry in a bit here.0

Wholly agreed. Nothing advanced at all. Really quite simple stuff.

First off, you're starting from the assumption that you already know the answer. That is a problem but one we can ignore for now.

Second, Corsi relative merely tells us one simple thing: How does the TEAM perform, in terms of shots towards the other net compared to shots towards its own, when this guy is on the ice. There are countless factors that go into this inquiry. Most importantly are, whether the guy is playing against tougher competition, whether he was sheltered by playing with the best teammates, whether he started in the OZ or the DZ, how many minutes he played, and others.

If you rely on relative Corsi alone, you'll get a good picture of how a guy does relative to his similarly situated teammates. That picture always has caveats attached, but generally it will tell you something valuable, such as whether a guy was performing well at keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

And lets consider the guys you are discussing:

Josh Bailey - everyone's complaint is that he doesn't shoot enough. So what does that tell us, he's in the offensive zone PASSING too much. THIS is entirely in line with his good corsi numbers. The goals come because he doesn't shoot enough. This is a guy who lines up entirely with the anti-stats crowd, but they don't realize the implications.

Matt Donovan - everyone's complaint is that he gives up bad turnovers (on bad pinches) that turn into goals. This tells us that he is IN the offensive zone moving the puck around and he gets hung up and makes a mistake that turns into ONE corsi event but also turns into a goal. This is a complicated issue that I've discussed at length, and I won't belabor it yet again, but the above comports entirely with his corsi numbers. Corsi isn't telling us whether someone gets a "bellringer" chance. It tells whether more shots go to the opposing net while he's on the ice. That is true of Donovan. If those handful of bad turnovers are saves, no one is complaining about Matt Donovan.

Brock Nelson is an outstander player and so is de Haan. With regular minutes on the top line Brock Nelson could very well be a star on this team. We can discuss his play further at another time, if you like.

The Islanders have some strangely skewed numbers because one of the worst players in the NHL had a lot of minutes on our team: Andrew MacDonald. He dragged down some of our best players because they played with him so much. We can get into that deeper point later.

The problem is that you want ONE metric to tell you all the answers. It doesn't work that way. We use them all in conjunction to get a good picture of what has happened on the ice and how we know who is letting us down and who is bringing us up. Corsi is the most valuable of any of the individual metrics.

Where do I begin:

I could go on but I think I've given you from food for thought. All of the above comes from the "fancy stats". All of it helps us understand the value of our assets. All of these points could trigger great discussions, but it is my view that it would be best be done in individual threads: Player Discussion: Josh Bailey, Fancy Stats Discussion.

Probably true, but we're working on it and we have some really good stuff already.

Patrick Kane is really NOT a superb possession player. He's a shooter, like Thomas Vanek. Really valuable player, but not necessarily for possession. Also, the Blackhawks use their players in a unique way so that, for example, some forwards play extremely sheltered minutes (Morin) and others do not. We can talk more about Coach Q's unique deployments in another post too.

I would LOVE to do that. And thank you for saying this.

The most obvious would be (1) pulling MacDonald from any contact with the Tavares line (or any line) [already done] and (2) moving a possession driver [someone without big points but great corsi, for now] who can create more shooting opportunities for Tavares and Okposo, someone like Brock Nelson or possibly Josh Bailey.

I made a predictive model based on Corsi which I then used to "predict" last season based on our starting roster. It returned awful numbers that were surprisingly consistent with our actual numbers. Obviously we had many lineup changes, etc... but it gave a pretty good picture of the predictive power of corsi and corsi relative. I've been planning to make it more accurate based on certain additional statistics (penalty +/-, zone starts, and others) and we can slot in players and see where we end up.

Right now, the model has us, assuming no injuries, as probably the fourth best team in the East (were it 13-14). That's not too shabby.

Another poster recently told me that the way we statpeople talk about the stats makes it hard to follow:

Example:

"So I was looking at Nelson's CF%rel and I think when you look at the ZS% and his QoT you have to wonder where he'd be if...."

That's hard to understand.

I liken it to my own line of work:

JUDGE: "Alright I have a decision on the motions. I'm ordering Wade, Mapp, Dunaway/Huntley. We'll do Sandoval right before trial and anything in limine at that time."

Its that jargon that no one else can understand. Whereas, "we're going to have a hearing about whether the initial stop was lawful" is something you can understand.

I'm working on that and I would encourage anyone, at any time, to say "Hey Jay, what did you mean when you said 'Kulemin's WOWY numbers with Grabo are off the charts', speak English to me bud".

Thank you for this excellent post!

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
For the tl;dr crowd, I'll just repost the main inquiry from above:

This again. That damn website that you sent me to showed that Donovan's starts were basically all in the offensive zone and he had the weakest QoC of any Islander defender. Not surprisingly, he always controlled the puck.

This is my big problem with "advanced stats" they can be spun in all sorts of ways.

That's not to say they are meaningless. I don't think it is a coincidence that any player who lines up with Brock Nelson suddenly experiences improvement on most indices. But, it just one source of information and you can't take them out of context.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
This again. That damn website that you sent me to showed that Donovan's starts were basically all in the offensive zone and he had the weakest QoC of any Islander defender. Not surprisingly, he always controlled the puck.

This is my big problem with "advanced stats" they can be spun in all sorts of ways.

That's not to say they are meaningless. I don't think it is a coincidence that any player who lines up with Brock Nelson suddenly experiences improvement on most indices. But, it just one source of information and you can't take them out of context.

I agree with this. I like advanced stats to check my assessment of a player who plays a LARGER role than I've seen them play in - particularly if it's someone on another team. For example, with all the Phaneuf and Gardiner talk, I'm interested in what their numbers indicate. What did they indicate to me? That neither seem to change the game all that much. Which didn't surprise me (that's what I'd observed). OTOH, stats indicated that when JVR and Kessell are on the ice, the team is okay. Otherwise, TOR sucks.

I wouldn't believe that though without checking game film. Turns out the stats bear out. Kessell + JVR are really good, and the rest of that team are either blah or suck. Who knew? I didn't, because that wasn't salient to me. Stats help with that. Of course, Darth Redbull knew all that to begin with.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Exactly. With that said, there is more to being a successful in hockey than the bolded.

Sure there is. But the problem, however, is that skills aside from possession and generating shots are more likely to be attributable to luck or small sample size.

For example, we know that John Tavares is an amazing sniper. It would be fair to prize someone with Tavares's shot over someone without that ability who may be better at driving the play. But when talking about guys who don't have such superhuman accuracy, it's really difficult to evaluate them based on that criteria. Shooting percentage oscillates a lot year-to-year, and is very much driven by luck. So it would be foolish to prize someone with a slightly higher than average shooting percentage one year over a player with a higher than average corsi.

Think about advanced stats as a way to navigate through incomplete information. if we knew everything about the relative strengths and weaknesses of different players, we wouldn't need to rely on just one or two advanced metrics. but we don't, so corsi and fenwick are currently the best way to navigate around that knowledge gap most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad