OT: Coronavirus XXXVI: Bat Scratch Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The latest numbers...The article really needs to say the future of wealthy seniors looks good...

Corbella: The future of senior care in Canada looks brighter for boomers | Calgary Sun

"According to Health Canada figures, 96 per cent of the 21,234 Canadians who have died from the pandemic as of Feb. 19, are 60 years of age and older. The NIA’s Long Term Care COVID Tracker shows that most of those COVID deaths — 69 per cent — took place in LTC homes or other congregate living homes for the elderly."
I'll believe it when I see it. My guess is that within 5 years post pandemic it will be business as usual.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I'll believe it when I see it. My guess is that within 5 years post pandemic it will be business as usual.

It's certainly possible. The government is betting that people will feel safe after one shot. That's a pretty big bet considering they told everyone they would need at least two. That means this fall/winter those who want two will have two. Then perhaps a return to somewhat normal is possible if cases drop to zero?

I agree, you cant pour debilitating fear and control on a population and then expect everyone to just bounce back. Some may take 5 years. Some may never return to normal.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
COVID-19 variant outbreak at Edmonton's Churchill Manor happened after dining room opened: family

COVID-19 variant outbreak at Edmonton's Churchill Manor happened after dining room opened: family | Edmonton Journal

"“I’m so angry and frustrated and disappointed,” she says. “I’m worried for my dad and I’m worried for all these other people. I just don’t understand how they could have opened things up with the vaccine two weeks away. It makes no sense.”

Like I said, it appears mistakes were made. They gave the shots and then just opened the gates. People should have been protected for another 2 weeks. Jeezus, they've been in isolation for about a year, I doubt 14 more days is going to finish them off.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Shandro mentioned that if supply comes in as promised, everyone in AB that wants a first dose can have one by June 30. Fantastic news. AHS will also change the booking system, so that everyone doesn't try to book at once. So for the next group, each day two birth years can book, and so on. And Albertans will have a choice if they want the AZ vaccine or not. Age 50 - 64 can book the AZ vaccine starting next week, or wait for their turn for the other vaccines. Lots of great news today!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
In other news, Dr Tam says we will be up to 1000 new cases by tomorrow, and our ICU units will be overloaded by Monday. Or so her charts and graphs tell her.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not a big surprise that they have moved the next phase up a bit. Think there was like 100k of the 75+ group that signed up for the vaccine in the first 24 hours, and I think only another 30k in the next week, if what I read was correct. So they have capacity now for the next group. I'm in the group that is eligible for the AZ shot starting on March 10, or I can wait till May for one of the other shots. Not sure yet what I'm going to do. Any suggestions? ;) They all seem like fairly effective vaccines, but Pfizer and Moderna maybe have higher infection reduction percentages. I think that the AZ vaccine might be quite plentiful, with a lot of people waiting for the other ones, so might get your second shot quite a bit sooner if you go that route. On the other hand, might want to wait a couple of months for more info to become available, and make a more informed choice. Decisions, decisions. But very glad to be able to make one.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Not a big surprise that they have moved the next phase up a bit. Think there was like 100k of the 75+ group that signed up for the vaccine in the first 24 hours, and I think only another 30k in the next week, if what I read was correct. So they have capacity now for the next group. I'm in the group that is eligible for the AZ shot starting on March 10, or I can wait till May for one of the other shots. Not sure yet what I'm going to do. Any suggestions? ;) They all seem like fairly effective vaccines, but Pfizer and Moderna maybe have higher infection reduction percentages. I think that the AZ vaccine might be quite plentiful, with a lot of people waiting for the other ones, so might get your second shot quite a bit sooner if you go that route. On the other hand, might want to wait a couple of months for more info to become available, and make a more informed choice. Decisions, decisions. But very glad to be able to make one.

I might have to get a shot (or 2) to qualify for a liver transplant, so I'll wait.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

From what I read Alberta is getting 58K of those AZ doses and that people that were born in 1957 will have first eligibility, then 1958 and so on if any of those vaccines are left. This is not a continued program of early rollouts to boomer age groups, its just a one time for now AZ stockpile being used and predicated on older people advised not to get this vaccine. The long and short of that is that its not really a decision. A very small proportion will be able to get these, sign up will be a nightmare, and will fill up in no time. Unless you happen to be born in say 57 or 58 you wouldn't be getting this lot of AZ vaccine. Not unless the vast majority are deferring, and I really doubt that.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
From what I read Alberta is getting 58K of those AZ doses and that people that were born in 1957 will have first eligibility, then 1958 and so on if any of those vaccines are left. This is not a continued program of early rollouts to boomer age groups, its just a one time for now AZ stockpile being used and predicated on older people advised not to get this vaccine. The long and short of that is that its not really a decision. A very small proportion will be able to get these, sign up will be a nightmare, and will fill up in no time. Unless you happen to be born in say 57 or 58 you wouldn't be getting this lot of AZ vaccine. Not unless the vast majority are deferring, and I really doubt that.

Be interesting to see how this plays out. My gut feeling is that people my age will opt to skip the AZ and wait for the big two. I think there will be lots left for whoever wants it in this age group. Hope I'm wrong and it gets filled quickly, as the more vaccinated the better. If it gets to your year, and there is stock available, will you take the AZ shot?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wife advised me to get the shot asap. Although the efficacy isn't as high as the other 2, getting at least some immunity, the better protected you'll be. A respected doctor I've been following on TV says this as well. So, instead of potentially being on death's door or really sick if you catch it in the next couple months, the effects are greatly minimized where you might just get the sniffles. And the anti-bodies may continue to build as time goes on. Not to mention, if the booster shot is required, I might have that out of the way before anyone else gets their initial shots.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Wife advised me to get the shot asap. Although the efficacy isn't as high as the other 2, getting at least some immunity, the better protected you'll be. A respected doctor I've been following on TV says this as well. So, instead of potentially being on death's door or really sick if you catch it in the next couple months, the effects are greatly minimized where you might just get the sniffles. And the anti-bodies may continue to build as time goes on. Not to mention, if the booster shot is required, I might have that out of the way before anyone else gets their initial shots.

Aren't you in the age group that gets the Pfizer/Moderna shot starting on March 15? Need to be born in 1957 or later to get the AZ shot.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
You are in the age group that gets the anal swabs. ;)

Open wide...

china-anal-swab-test_resize_md.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad