OT: Coronavirus XXV: Cases Soaring in Many Parts of North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Cases are spiralling out of control as even he admits to. Health care system is and will be strained beyond their resources. Even Kenny admits it cannot continue this way. People have shown they cannot self regulate to help keep cases down and to ease the pressure on the health care system. What do you propose? You don't care about the nurses and docs etc that have to deal with the strain?

Contact tracers are overwhelmed and now people have to make calls themselves to advise contacts that they have covid and must self isolate. I'm sure that will go over well /s. This will lead to the situation getting worse.
This is not isolated to Alberta..cases are up all over the world
Must be cold and flu season

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don’t you love that chicken from Popeyes?

Most restaurants have taken big steps in protecting their customers. Much more stringent cleaning policies both in dining rooms, kitchen and with ware washing and sanitizing. Most are still operating at reduced capacities, with everyone wearing masks, barriers between booths and such. Also most places don’t have menus anymore, just a QR code you scan that brings up their menu on your browser, or they have disposable paper menus.

You entirely mistook my point. I'm saying that almost all of what consitutes todays fast food is harmful period, the actual food, referenced on their respective menus, and this garbage has been going on for a long time and with fast food, and several resto chains serving up nutritional garbage with offerings that have complete dietary contempt for their living consumers.

No, I wouldn't order a f***ing thing on the menu, or app, or whatever, at popeyes nor have I ever. One look at what they offer was enough. I don't fill my body with garbage intake.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I honestly feel 'safer', if you will, at the restaurants I go to, than at some of the stores I need to go to to get the basics. The better restaurants have really done a great job in taking every reasonable precaution possible to ensure their customers safety. I was skeptical at first, but the ones I go to have beyond impressed me. They aren't the problem.

I can cite 100 resto outbreaks that beg to differ.

Its exceedingly rare to get Covid shopping for groceries and outbreaks at box retailers have tended to be staff. Outbreaks at restos and fast food joints have been staff and customers.

I've yet to hear of one single resto advertising that they have hepa, or Mer HVAC air filtration. That would be a perfectly reasonable first step. Without which all the distancing doesn't matter.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I honestly feel 'safer', if you will, at the restaurants I go to, than at some of the stores I need to go to to get the basics.

For grocery stores you certainly get what you pay for. If you are willing to pay Safeway prices then go to a Safeway in one of the nicer parts of town and you won't have a problem. Everybody wearing masks and socially distanced.

Go to a Superstore or a Save On, especially in rougher parts of town, yeah you won't feel anywhere near as safe.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For grocery stores you certainly get what you pay for. If you are willing to pay Safeway prices then go to a Safeway in one of the nicer parts of town and you won't have a problem. Everybody wearing masks and socially distanced.

Go to a Superstore or a Save On, especially in rougher parts of town, yeah you won't feel anywhere near as safe.

Have you shopped in the last 20 yrs? ;) Safeway?

Save on is far better than dimestore Safeway in every way imaginable. lol that any Safeways even exist. They are actually Sobeys decrepit chain now. Safeway remaining stores, even wearing safeway flag, are all sobeys, sobeys are awful. Just for clarity..heh

Save On by and large are the best run grocery chain in Western Canada, by miles.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Nah lockdowns don't work and you're only causing more harm. Go hide in your house. The virus will spread mask or no mask and lockdown or no lockdown. You are only doing much more harm locking down anything. We are not Europe!!! Their cases explode nomatter what they do. How about the vulnerable look after their own health and we protect long term care facilities?? This stupid talk of lockdowns is crazy. If your livelihood depended on keeping a business running you wouldn't say this unless you had lots of money saved. Businesses are doing a good job of following guidelines and are not the cause of lots of cases. How about you all get healthy and strengthen the immune system which is the only defense against any virus.
The virus' spread was significantly hampered when everything was locked down, so you're definitely wrong there.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Save on is far better than dimestore Safeway in every way imaginable. lol that any Safeways even exist. They are actually Sobeys decrepit chain now. Safeway remaining stores, even wearing safeway flag, are all sobeys, sobeys are awful. Just for clarity..heh

Save On by and large are the best run grocery chain in Western Canada, by miles.
Save On must have a day where seniors get an extra discount?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
My boy Kenney keeping things open. Got to love that Alberta freedom. I’ll listen and not visit any of my friends aside from beer league hockey and maybe the odd diner date.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The virus' spread was significantly hampered when everything was locked down, so you're definitely wrong there.

How did the number of tests being done compare back then to now?
Also it’s been pointed out that the effects of the harsh lockdowns caused more deaths than Covid itself. Not sure if another total lockdown is the best idea, most experts agree.

Reactions: oilers'72

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Save On must have a day where seniors get an extra discount?

Oh ... snap!

Yeah. I made the mistake of shopping at the Save On by the stadium a couple weeks ago. Not saying I won't go to Save On again, but if I do it will be at a store with fewer aggressive street people not wearing masks.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I can cite 100 resto outbreaks that beg to differ.

Its exceedingly rare to get Covid shopping for groceries and outbreaks at box retailers have tended to be staff. Outbreaks at restos and fast food joints have been staff and customers.

I've yet to hear of one single resto advertising that they have hepa, or Mer HVAC air filtration. That would be a perfectly reasonable first step. Without which all the distancing doesn't matter.

I pick and choose my restaurants carefully. Small owner operated ones with private dining rooms.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Cut out the political talk. Criticize their covid policies but try not to turn this into an "he/she isn't my candidate/in my party of choice" type of a discussion.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Haven't been in a Save On in months, but for the first few months of the virus they were way behind the times as far as protocols. Couple stickers on the floor, that was it. Staff were literally breathing on me in the self checkout line. Haven't been back. Costco set the gold standard with how to run a store during a pandemic. Always adapting, which you need to do. Having said that, each store in the chain is different and we all have our likes and dislikes.

Reactions: MessierII

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Cases are spiralling out of control as even he admits to. Health care system is and will be strained beyond their resources. Even Kenny admits it cannot continue this way. People have shown they cannot self regulate to help keep cases down and to ease the pressure on the health care system. What do you propose? You don't care about the nurses and docs etc that have to deal with the strain?

Contact tracers are overwhelmed and now people have to make calls themselves to advise contacts that they have covid and must self isolate. I'm sure that will go over well /s. This will lead to the situation getting worse.

I propose we let the health care system that we invest billions of dollars a year in continue to do the best it can. The nurses and doctors tend to be among our best and brightest, so we're in the most capable hands we have available. A pandemic, like any other natural disaster, can only be mitigated so much. These man versus nature battles have one winner, and unfortunately it ain't us. We can keep locking down every time there's a flare up, but knowledge that he's safe from Covid will likely be little comfort to the man facing lockdown-induced financial ruin.

Reactions: Duke74 and jmco

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I propose we let the health care system that we invest billions of dollars a year in continue to do the best it can. The nurses and doctors tend to be among our best and brightest, so we're in the most capable hands we have available. A pandemic, like any other natural disaster, can only be mitigated so much. These man versus nature battles have one winner, and unfortunately it ain't us. We can keep locking down every time there's a flare up, but knowledge that he's safe from Covid will likely be little comfort to the man facing lockdown-induced financial ruin.

Our health care resources are being stretched thin as it is and at some point it'll snap. You cannot continue to let cases rise as they are. You have to do something to reduce it whether it be targeted lockdowns or some other tangible measures. Suggesting to people to not gather in homes is useless especially since there's no enforcement.
Also.....

COVID’s Impact in Real Time: Finding Balance Amid the Crisis

But the recession was also largely driven by people voluntarily refraining from social interactions as they feared contracting the virus. Therefore, lifting lockdowns is unlikely to lead to a decisive and sustained economic boost if infections are still elevated, as voluntary social distancing will likely persist.

Lockdowns impose short-term costs but may lead to a faster economic recovery as they lower infections and thus the extent of voluntary social distancing.

countries that adopted lockdowns when COVID-19 cases were still low experienced much better epidemiological outcomes relative to countries that intervened when cases were already high.

The effectiveness of lockdowns in reducing infections, coupled with the finding that infections can considerably harm economic activity because of voluntary social distancing, calls for re-considering the prevailing narrative about lockdowns involving a trade-off between saving lives and supporting the economy.

effective lockdown measures taken early during an epidemic may lead to a faster economic recovery by containing the virus and reducing voluntary social distancing. These medium-term gains may offset the short-term costs of lockdowns, possibly even leading to positive overall effects on the economy.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Also it’s been pointed out that the effects of the harsh lockdowns caused more deaths than Covid itself. Not sure if another total lockdown is the best idea, most experts agree.
I didn’t say it was the best idea, I said it hampered the spread of the virus.

Reactions: HK97

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
“Tie a dozen cinder blocks to Michael Phelps and toss him in the ocean. He’s the best swimmer we’ve got, he’ll be fine.”

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Our health care resources are being stretched thin as it is and at some point it'll snap. You cannot continue to let cases rise as they are. You have to do something to reduce it whether it be targeted lockdowns or some other tangible measures. Suggesting to people to not gather in homes is useless especially since there's no enforcement.
Also.....

COVID’s Impact in Real Time: Finding Balance Amid the Crisis

But the recession was also largely driven by people voluntarily refraining from social interactions as they feared contracting the virus. Therefore, lifting lockdowns is unlikely to lead to a decisive and sustained economic boost if infections are still elevated, as voluntary social distancing will likely persist.

Lockdowns impose short-term costs but may lead to a faster economic recovery as they lower infections and thus the extent of voluntary social distancing.

countries that adopted lockdowns when COVID-19 cases were still low experienced much better epidemiological outcomes relative to countries that intervened when cases were already high.

The effectiveness of lockdowns in reducing infections, coupled with the finding that infections can considerably harm economic activity because of voluntary social distancing, calls for re-considering the prevailing narrative about lockdowns involving a trade-off between saving lives and supporting the economy.

effective lockdown measures taken early during an epidemic may lead to a faster economic recovery by containing the virus and reducing voluntary social distancing. These medium-term gains may offset the short-term costs of lockdowns, possibly even leading to positive overall effects on the economy.

You're talking about the overall economy of an entire region in all these examples. I'm talking about individual people, mainly restaurant owners and other non-essential frontline service businesses. Many of them are on the brink of going belly up, and some already have. Many have done their best to follow the protocols just to survive, but will be finished off of they're forced to close their doors completely for 6 weeks. The view from 30,000 feet that the overall economy may be hampered more by a non-lockdown than a lockdown (possible but speculation, it should be noted) isn't relevant on the individual level, specifically for those who've had their livelihoods ruined. A fate worse than contracting Covid for the vast majority. Is the "too bad, f*** 'em" attitude towards those people any different than having the same attitude about old people getting Covid?

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010

Edit: before anyone jumps down my throat, reddit link leads to a study conducted by the CDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad