Someone let me know when it’s safe to touch our face again

hqdefault.jpg

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Reactions: oilers'72

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Greetings from Deutschland's "lockdown light". "some people are saying"... on or before Nov. 16 we'll be locked down further. :ha:

Before Nov. 1 I fled from heavily populated NRW to MV on the Baltic coast. The country as a whole is now seeing +21.5k cases per day. More than 5k of those daily cases are from NRW, my home state.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
About 800 new COVID-19 cases recorded in Alberta, province discussing new restrictions | Edmonton Journal

The logic comes down to the following.

We may need to lockdown again to protect our healthcare system. ICU beds are reaching maximum.

How many beds have you added since March?

None.

Why not?

Because if things get bad we can just add restrictions and lock everybody down again. We didn't need to do anything else.

More beds = More staff

ICU nurses have an extremely specialized skill set, can’t just hire any nurse for these positions

Pretty sure the last thing this government wants to do is hire more nurses.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
More beds = More staff

ICU nurses have an extremely specialized skill set, can’t just hire any nurse for these positions

I think they kind of have to. Two of my neighbors are nurses and both have been deployed in ICUs here (Italy), despite never having been there before. I guess we are past the time to be picky, but then again as long as you can be that is of course good. Not that I know anything about qualifications and such, but I assume and hope that all nurses and doctors are fairly qualified in general and can provide good care even if not in their specific field of competence.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think they kind of have to. Two of my neighbors are nurses and both have been deployed in ICUs here (Italy), despite never having been there before. I guess we are past the time to be picky, but then again as long as you can be that is of course good. Not that I know anything about qualifications and such, but I assume and hope that all nurses and doctors are fairly qualified in general and can provide good care even if not in their specific field of competence.
The problem in Alberta right now is they are looking at cuts. We have a system in place that can work when there is a ton of oil money.

Now that we don't have that money tough decisions need to be made. Too much management, but they don't want to cut that. Too much waste on OT, but they can't fix that either.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

Interesting. Redeployment here in Alberta is usually to General Medicine floors with basic duties I.e: showering/feeding patients. It would be highly unsafe for the public to expect someone who say works in home care or the operating room to step into the ICU, even in a limited role. The difference in scope of practice is just too big without at least months of formal training.

And that’s only Nurses. These patients will likely need ventilators if they’re sick enough to be admitted into the ICU. Respiratory Therapists will also be needed.

very difficult times right now, and difficult decisions to be made.

Reactions: oilers'72 and LaGu

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
More beds = More staff

Even the NDP were cutting nursing jobs by not letting retired nurses be replaced. You certainly won’t be seeing the UCP add nurses. Just shut areas down and move them around. I've heard they are actually going a step further too. They are taking the shutting down of areas as a chance to cut costs by not giving casual nurses shifts. They move full time nurses from their current roles with the reduced load because of cutting services off to fill in in other places. So they have lots of casual nurses just doing nothing too.

We’re setting ourselves up for a world of hurt. May be beneficial for the UCP though, I'm sure they can spin this as an argument for more private healthcare.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

IIRC in especially hard hit areas like in NYC earlier this year they were calling in retired Drs. and nurses and hoping that they would heed the call. Unprecedented times in our lifetime for sure.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Interesting. Redeployment here in Alberta is usually to General Medicine floors with basic duties I.e: showering/feeding patients. It would be highly unsafe for the public to expect someone who say works in home care or the operating room to step into the ICU, even in a limited role. The difference in scope of practice is just too big without at least months of formal training.

And that’s only Nurses. These patients will likely need ventilators if they’re sick enough to be admitted into the ICU. Respiratory Therapists will also be needed.

very difficult times right now, and difficult decisions to be made.

I would think that most hospitals would have a designated Covid wing and have specialized staff there while having the others treat the "typical" ICU cases. You can't have Covid patients hacking all over people coming in with a broken leg, a gash, a gerbil stuck up Richard Gere's butt, etc.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I would think that most hospitals would have a designated Covid wing and have specialized staff there while having the others treat the "typical" ICU cases. You can't have Covid patients hacking all over people coming in with a broken leg, a gash, a gerbil stuck up Richard Gere's butt, etc.

My wife is going to be having a baby in about 2 weeks. Our friend works at the hospital we are going to be going to and says that her hospital has "lockdown" measures that get employed once there are a certain number of COVID patients in the hospital. This is where they section off certain areas of the hospital completely from one another.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even the NDP were cutting nursing jobs by not letting retired nurses be replaced. You certainly won’t be seeing the UCP add nurses. Just shut areas down and move them around. I've heard they are actually going a step further too. They are taking the shutting down of areas as a chance to cut costs by not giving casual nurses shifts. They move full time nurses from their current roles with the reduced load because of cutting services off to fill in in other places. So they have lots of casual nurses just doing nothing too.

We’re setting ourselves up for a world of hurt. May be beneficial for the UCP though, I'm sure they can spin this as an argument for more private healthcare.
There was talk during the NDP time about finding ways to move more people into Cities. Too much government money was/is being spent on people in remote areas. It's been a balancing act for years now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My wife is going to be having a baby in about 2 weeks. Our friend works at the hospital we are going to be going to and says that her hospital has "lockdown" measures that get employed once there are a certain number of COVID patients in the hospital. This is where they section off certain areas of the hospital completely from one another.

Congrats!

That makes sense as you cannot have people with compromised immune systems getting this crap out of negligence.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Interesting how roughly 9 months ago was the start of COVID :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
More beds = More staff

One of the first things they did in preparation for the pandemic is hire more ICU nurses and obtain more ventilators.

In the case of ICU nurses specifically the Govt recruited recently retired nurses that were willing, to come back to the role. They also made some previsions to fast track Nurses into ICU roles.

They did this in massive prep for a first wave that essentially didn't come to hospitals here, in any big way.

In fairness to our elected officials not everybody was thinking it was going to be a second wave with massive influx. Its quite natural for jurisdictions to also be caught by this next wave and many are.

But a large part of that is borne through a populace that want there to be services, but many of whom don't want to endure the restrictions, mitigations so that there remain services..

We're tapped out at hospitals due to segments of population that have ignored, refused to use precautions and even increasing numbers of people willfully at large AFTER a positive diagnosis.

So is the answer just to provide endless services, provision, or is it for people to listen?

There is no medical response in the world sufficient or capable to save a population from their own unrestrained irresponsible, careless, and harmful actions.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
One of the first things they did in preparation for the pandemic is hire more ICU nurses and obtain more ventilators.

In the case of ICU nurses specifically the Govt recruited recently retired nurses that were willing, to come back to the role. They also made some previsions to fast track Nurses into ICU roles.

They did this in massive prep for a first wave that essentially didn't come to hospitals here, in any big way.

In fairness to our elected officials not everybody was thinking it was going to be a second wave with massive influx. Its quite natural for jurisdictions to also be caught by this next wave and many are.

But a large part of that is borne through a populace that want their to be services, but many of whom don't want to endure the restrictions, mitigations so that there remain services..

We're tapped out at hospitals due to segments of population that have ignored, refused to use precautions and even increasing numbers of people willfully at large AFTER a positive diagnosis.

So is the answer just to provide endless services, provision, or is it for people to listen?

There is no medical response in the world sufficient or capable to save a population from their own unrestrained irresponsible, careless, and harmful actions.
Your last line says it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaGu

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

But a large part of that is borne through a populace that want there to be services, but many of whom don't want to endure the restrictions, mitigations so that there remain services..

I would agree. There is a shared responsibility between our health care system and the public, but our health care system has finite resources. At the rate we’re going it’s definitely unreasonable to think that there will be an ICU bed, trained medical personnel and a Ventilator for every single case that potentially needs it.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
More beds = More staff

This is similar to what I heard on a radio interview with a local doctor at the U of A. She said it's not just about beds but also about the staff (nurses) etc that need to be assigned. It's very tricky logistically with covd due to cohorting and spacing as well as staff quarantining that is unavoidable. Also nurses and doctors are already very fatigued and stressed as it is.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

There are designated covid units for sure but I would think they are mostly for “containing” patients.

To my knowledge, the sickest of these COVID patients will still end up in the ICU.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad