OT: Coronavirus XXIII: Keep it On Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
so I'm supposed to believe an "expert" from the tweet of an ex ball player with a video from tiktok, but yet when someone posts a video from an "expert" on Youtube with conflicting arguments, they are ridiculous.

I'm just trying to understand here.....believe the experts on TikTok, but not Youtube?
I'm just trying to figure out which source to get my information from.

The correct answer is whatever source reinforces one's inherent biases

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Damn, I thought it was 12, er 11yrs. Darn false news.

In positive news I won't have to watch Madonna dancing around half naked as an Octogenarian. she only look like one already. Oh, another side of her face is falling off, somebody get the putty and Bondo out..
LOL
EkjSC2TXIAA2tjI

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
What is the actual R naught of covid 19 now anyways. I haven't seen reliable source for this. Although I think the numbers will vary from country to country and region to region (different protocols, population density, adherence by population etc). Plus it will be maybe lower now because the world is being more cautious than pre pandemic times thus artificially lowering the R naught. Maybe now it's only 1.5 but if we went to normal and treated it like a cold virus it could be R0 of 5.... which is incredibly infectious.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
True story - my own.

I tested positive for COVID-19 within the last month. As an asthmatic, I was extremely concerned what would happen.

Fast forward ten days of isolation later, and outside of a tiny tickle in my throat, one night of chills and slight fever, and some post-nasal drip, I've felt just fine. Quarantine ends tomorrow. To be honest, the annual February cold bug that rolls through Edmonton every winter was far harder on my lungs than this was.

At this point, I'm much more concerned for the economical health and mental health of society than I am about the virus.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
True story - my own.

I tested positive for COVID-19 within the last month. As an asthmatic, I was extremely concerned what would happen.

Fast forward ten days of isolation later, and outside of a tiny tickle in my throat, one night of chills and slight fever, and some post-nasal drip, I've felt just fine. Quarantine ends tomorrow. To be honest, the annual February cold bug that rolls through Edmonton every winter was far harder on my lungs than this was.

At this point, I'm much more concerned for the economical health and mental health of society than I am about the virus.

Which age group are you in?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
True story - my own.

Ya, this sounds like a lot of peoples experience with Covid (maybe even most people’s experience). It does seem to really do damage to very old people though.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
I’m wondering what ‘normal flu’ is. Is that a scientific term or just dumbed down talk for us common folk. I’ve had the flu in the past. Sometimes I barely noticed. Once I spent four days unable to stand or consume anything but water. I’ve even heard that folks sometimes die from ‘normal flu’.
People die by the hundreds of thousands from the flu each year around the world

Reactions: oilers'72

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
True story - my own.

Glad you got over it fine and thanks for sharing. However, I do believe there are a variety of factors that may determine how bad symptoms one can get from covid. I have a feeling viral load is a big one. Maybe you got a small load this time. Do you know how you may have gotten it?

Another is how you are health wise at the moment. I think if one is stressed, not getting good sleep, diet/exercise is waning etc, the virus can also do more damage even at the healthy age and general "good health" of 30.

Just because you got off easy, it doesn't mean 3, 4 or 5 out of 10 in you age group will not suffer long term damage and severe illness from it. I do wish they had better data in those regards.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
True story - my own.

Very glad you are okay. It would be nice if everyone came out fine. I know someone who died. By all accounts it's an excruciating death.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Read between the lines: One person's experience doesn't speak for everyone's.

Ya, as far as people's experience with covid you hear about, it's generally more severe than Jordan's. However, that's not to say a ton of people didn't have the same exact experience as Jordan that just never posted online etc. We really have no idea.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
but he wasn't speaking for everyone...he simply shared his story
(although the vast majority of people do end up like him)

You don't know this for sure. Most "mild" covid anecdotes I hear are definitely more severe than that. Fever for a fair amount of time, really bad migraines, trouble breathing, persistent cough for weeks, body aches etc. Still considered "mild" but much more than what Jordan described.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ya, as far as people's experience with covid you hear about, it's generally more severe than Jordan's. However, that's not to say a ton of people didn't have the same exact experience as Jordan that just never posted online etc. We really have no idea.
no, the majority experience mild symptoms (80.9%)
Coronavirus Symptoms (COVID-19) - Worldometer

the more severe ones are the one that make the evening news

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad