OT: Coronavirus XX : Here Comes Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
LiveEsteemedHorsefly-small.gif
Look to the cookie Elaine look to the cookie classic.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The various accounts came from Trump, Bolsonaro and other untrustworthy sources. There was little if any peer-reviewed research that was in support of it. Even that study with the police (IIRC?) in India that was discussed here a while ago showed absolutely nothing of statistical significance.

From the article:
“There is already a great number of studies that have evaluated hydroxychloroquine alone or in combination and it seems unlikely at this stage that any efficacy will ever emerge” wrote the study's authors in the journal Clinical Microbiology and Infection. “Our results suggest that there is no need for further studies evaluating these molecules”.

You can try adding zinc, potassium, pepto bismol, or dirt to the concoction to keep testing, but the authors here have indicated that there is no need for further testing.

How about adding pangolin and bat to the concoction? The hair of the dog that bit you? :sarcasm:

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Only to those who don't think for themselves.

This is like saying that nonconscious manipulation does not exist. Don't underestimate the powers, impact, and indepth engineering that is involved in formulating preferences, opinions, wants, desires.

The subliminal influence can be powerful.

This is just one of the foremost thinkers analyzing how tech and media have been studying us and using feedback data to know more and more how to social engineer public opinions. Bombard people with enough of this and it can shape minds, culture, what occurs.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In Game Night, an upset Marshall points out that Ted lied about being "vomit-free since '93", after Ted tells the "Story of the Re-Return" and how he threw up on Robin's doormat after the events of the Pilot. ... Ted, Marshall, and Lily discover that Barney spent the night in their tub.

I had my shows mixed up

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
This is like saying that nonconscious manipulation does not exist. Don't underestimate the powers, impact, and indepth engineering that is involved in formulating preferences, opinions, wants, desires.

The subliminal influence can be powerful.

This is just one of the foremost thinkers analyzing how tech and media have been studying us and using feedback data to know more and more how to social engineer public opinions. Bombard people with enough of this and it can shape minds, culture, what occurs.

Not in the context I meant it in it doesn't. You're talking about something else entirely than what I'm referring to. I'm simply talking about critical thinking and making well informed decisions.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not in the context I meant it in it doesn't. You're talking about something else entirely than what I'm referring to. I'm simply talking about critical thinking and making well informed decisions.

I sense that, and thanks for the response, but one can't overlook how much influence in social media is subconscious, directive, and intends to be. That has as its goal to manipulate the consumer, to activate pleasure, joy, while collecting data on how to further shape that joy. Studies have been done on how social media redirect even our neurotransmitters, how it impacts dopamine, serotonin levels and interacts with consumer like any addiction would.

heh, way more than a hockey board topic I realize. Thanks for humoring it, look at the video more if interested.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A lot of people are unable to think critically, see one narrative and run with it. Or they are told by other people "if you think like me, you are a critical thinker" and they run with that. The unfortunate truth of the world is I'd say a good portion of people aren't able to critically think and make well informed decisions.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
A lot of people are unable to think critically, see one narrative and run with it. Or they are told by other people "if you think like me, you are a critical thinker" and they run with that. The unfortunate truth of the world is I'd say a good portion of people aren't able to critically think and make well informed decisions.

That's pretty much what I'm talking about. Surveillance capitalism is a totally different subject and isn't in the scope of my original post to bluecheese.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's pretty much what I'm talking about. Surveillance capitalism is a totally different subject and isn't in the scope of my original post to bluecheese.
I wasn't even talking about surveillance capitalism. I am talking about the general "people are intelligent and can think for themselves" thing I can seeing all over the place. Fact of life is most people are not all that intelligent and even if they can think for themselves, they don't.

I am not going to turn this political, just using the following as an example. Look at how many people will always vote for their political party the "I always voted for blank I'll always vote for blank", no matter the policy or anything. Look at movie reviews and all that. People want to be told what to believe, what to do and how to act. Most people don't seem to have the ability or want to think for themselves.

Even look at coronavirus. Someone once told people masks are bad or against something and no matter what that's what they hold onto cause their guy told them that and that's their belief for life.

I mean it also the phenomenon of the first thing someone hears about something is the truth, it's their reality no matter any evidence. Society as a whole is easy to manipulate. First person to implant a narrative wins in those peoples minds.

Look at coronavirus discourse.
You have people literally still saying "it's just the cold man" cause people in the early days were told that's how bad it was. Even with the evidence of the contrary they still believe that.

Or the people who still think we should be completely closed and should of never opened cause they were once told that the only way to stop it is to stay hidden till it's all gone. Even though it came out quick that the whole point was to just reduce the load on hospitals.

Narratives are very uneasily broken and most people refuse to change their minds on things. Critical thinking is almost non existent.

Edit: Hell people who learn something and change their minds are often called out for flip flopping or being weak. Literally people who employ critical thinking and can change their minds thru learning and discussion are shit on for not staying "consistent". People who once thought a certain way are apparently not allowed to think different.

Edit edit: Hell we are all guilty of it at times, myself included.

Edit the third: The danger of social media, is instead of people being able to learn from those around them, people now find their little corners and group of like minded individuals that reinforce their beliefs.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I wasn't even talking about surveillance capitalism. I am talking about the general "people are intelligent and can think for themselves" thing I can seeing all over the place. Fact of life is most people are not all that intelligent and even if they can think for themselves, they don't.

I am not going to turn this political, just using the following as an example. Look at how many people will always vote for their political party the "I always voted for blank I'll always vote for blank", no matter the policy or anything. Look at movie reviews and all that. People want to be told what to believe, what to do and how to act. Most people don't seem to have the ability or want to think for themselves.

Even look at coronavirus. Someone once told people masks are bad or against something and no matter what that's what they hold onto cause their guy told them that and that's their belief for life.

I mean it also the phenomenon of the first thing someone hears about something is the truth, it's their reality no matter any evidence. Society as a whole is easy to manipulate. First person to implant a narrative wins in those peoples minds.

Look at coronavirus discourse.
You have people literally still saying "it's just the cold man" cause people in the early days were told that's how bad it was. Even with the evidence of the contrary they still believe that.

Or the people who still think we should be completely closed and should of never opened cause they were once told that the only way to stop it is to stay hidden till it's all gone. Even though it came out quick that the whole point was to just reduce the load on hospitals.

Narratives are very uneasily broken and most people refuse to change their minds on things. Critical thinking is almost non existent.

Edit: Hell people who learn something and change their minds are often called out for flip flopping or being weak. Literally people who employ critical thinking and can change their minds thru learning and discussion are shit on for not staying "consistent". People who once thought a certain way are apparently not allowed to think different.

Edit edit: Hell we are all guilty of it at times, myself included.

lol. I think you misunderstood my post to you. I was agreeing with you on the critical thinking. I was referring to surveillance capitalism because drivesaitl made it a point in my response to bluecheese.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yet Bluecheese would be well aware of the constructs of social media and how it is designed to build addiction, to program, to hone preferences, opinion, and thus mentioned as a harmful agent. I mean its large part of why social media exists, was designed, and gathering data for exploitation.

I mean facebook doesn't exist so we can all smile and take pictures. Unfortunately its much darker than that and people are being completely duped into using these immersive addiction platforms.

like I am for posting here..;)

Or being an Oiler fan

addicts, all..heh

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
lol. I think you misunderstood my post to you. I was agreeing with you on the critical thinking. I was referring to surveillance capitalism because drivesaitl made it a point to me, which didn't have anything to do with my original post at all.
Fair enough. My post was more ranty than anything and getting that out there and not specifically directed at you either. Just a large rambly thought I have had recently.

Reactions: Dorian2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lol. I think you misunderstood my post to you. I was agreeing with you on the critical thinking. I was referring to surveillance capitalism because drivesaitl made it a point in my response to bluecheese.

Maybe not your post. But it has everything to do with the social media cited. Which was my point.

To wit if people were really choosing to think for themselves, and alert to what social media actually was, and that its not social, nobody would be on it..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad