OT: Coronavirus XX : Here Comes Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
He should include smokers who throw their buts on the ground... although I suspect he may be one of those people...

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It’s absolute insanity what we are seeing, I think a lot of it has to do with new investors getting in after the crash and now people are getting fomo as markets keep rising. Unfortunately it’s a lot of dumb money out there just waiting to get murdered by the big fish.

After the Canadian election I basically liquidated my holdings moving much of my money into safer vehicles because even before the pandemic I felt we were heading into recession territory. When the crash happened I decided to try my hand at day trading because I felt there was just so much value wiped out that would come back so I tossed 20K into a self directed account to play around with. Needless to say I did very well and I’ve basically been sitting out almost almost all of August because I felt there was a second crash coming as government aid slows and loan deferrals end but obviously I was a little early. Now I’m looking at a margins account so I can start shorting. Long, I’m going to be big on energy and banks, they’ll never lose and it’s interesting to see many of the big banks selling assets such so they can buy back a bunch of their stock while it’s undervalued.

Look at Buffet just sitting on a ton of liquidity while everyone is frenzied. Like his old quote goes “be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful”

I keep waiting for the pin to pop the balloon, but the balloon keeps going higher and higher. As each day passes I wonder if this is becoming the new normal, where previously relied on valuation multiples have now changed for good. Still waiting patiently, mainly in cash, but doing some flex trading. Only buy and hold has been gold stocks, both juniors and producers, which have had a great run, and I think have more upside.

Reactions: LaGu

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I keep waiting for the pin to pop the balloon, but the balloon keeps going higher and higher. As each day passes I wonder if this is becoming the new normal, where previously relied on valuation multiples have now changed for good. Still waiting patiently, mainly in cash, but doing some flex trading. Only buy and hold has been gold stocks, both juniors and producers, which have had a great run, and I think have more upside.

None of you saw the dotcom type valuations, BreX scams, housing and loans fiascos, Marijuana stocks go up in smoke?

I thought the markets were build on house of cards filled with hot air and fueled by drug use.

Am I wrong? ;)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Finally got my test results. Negative.

Fxcenvz.gif

Last edited:

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
DPM.TO has been a great buy and hold over the last couple years.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I don’t think it’s a new norm, I’m sure there’s another crash coming, like Christian Bales depiction of Michael Burrey says in the big short “I may be early but I’m not wrong”

I’m the exact same as you, only thing I’ll hold onto in times like this is gold. My motto earlier this summer was guns and gold, people are scared, it’s an election year and it seems possible if not likely that republicans will lose some control. So obviously gun sales have soared, along with manufacturers stock prices despite most of them being buried in debt. But I’m out of them now, made my money, not gonna push my luck.

Mostly I’ve stuck to a few targeted stocks, usually energy, that I have a good baseline of data and seem to fluctuate steadily but are still undervalued compared to before the crash. I try and stay on the tsx unless I see a real good opportunity and I’m looking for stuff in the 3-5 dollar range and I’m buying big volume with the expectation it’s going to go up .25-.50/share over a few days or a week. MEG energy has been a money maker for me all summer with that strategy. Not getting rich off it but 2-4K here and there when she dips and then recovers. I’ve bought and sold it 4-5 times this year with that strategy. Same with AC I bought when it dipped into the 15’s and then rallied to upwards of 21, I didn’t make it that far though, I got out around 19.50

Reactions: bellagiobob

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Reactions: frag2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
@Bryanbryoil Here's some data from a published study for the drug cocktail you were quite confident about in earlier threads:

Drug cocktail touted by Trump increases chance of death by 27%, claims new study

The best data to date suggests that a cocktail of HCQ and Azithromycin is actually more hazardous to your health and is related to increased mortality rates.

There were various accounts and it was unknown how effective it was. I never did say that it was a cure all but IMO any and everything should be tried with a novel virus. I also seem to recall that there was a 3rd component to that cocktail, was it zinc? If so how would that change the results?

Reactions: oilers'72

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
There were various accounts and it was unknown how effective it was. I never did say that it was a cure all but IMO any and everything should be tried with a novel virus. I also seem to recall that there was a 3rd component to that cocktail, was it zinc? If so how would that change the results?
The various accounts came from Trump, Bolsonaro and other untrustworthy sources. There was little if any peer-reviewed research that was in support of it. Even that study with the police (IIRC?) in India that was discussed here a while ago showed absolutely nothing of statistical significance.

From the article:
“There is already a great number of studies that have evaluated hydroxychloroquine alone or in combination and it seems unlikely at this stage that any efficacy will ever emerge” wrote the study's authors in the journal Clinical Microbiology and Infection. “Our results suggest that there is no need for further studies evaluating these molecules”.

You can try adding zinc, potassium, pepto bismol, or dirt to the concoction to keep testing, but the authors here have indicated that there is no need for further testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad