Coronavirus Thread - mod note post 23 & 541

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Even though I work in a major hospital, and talks about COVID-19 have been going for a few weeks, it's incredible how fast this is blooming. It's gone from "keep an eye on things" to "batten down the hatches" since Monday.

Went to Target for a few things today. Empty shelves for toilet paper, hand sanitizer, Lysol, and many canned goods. Out of curiosity checked Walgreens, also sold out of hand sanitizer.

It sucks hockey is going to be disrupted. It sucks people are going to get very ill. Many will think this is all a big overreaction, but unless we overreact it's going to keep getting worse and worse.

I hope all these measures help us get a handle on this before the systems are too stressed.
Yup, in cases like these an over-reaction is 1000x more prudent than under-reacting.

Reactions: izlez

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
lol, didn't even see that. THIS IS ALL TOO OVERWHELMING!!!
giphy.gif

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
So Howard, Ericsson, Daley have probably played their last games for Detroit or even their careers?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Suspended until further notice.

This season will never end for the Wings.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Think it will be longer than a month before it dies down.

I agree completely. I surmise it'll be two months, minimum, before things get back to somewhat normal. Probably it will be even longer than that, though.

I think many don't understand that this virus is going to spread. Eventually, something like 100 million people in the US are likely to get it. All these cancellations and restrictions aren't about prevention, they are all about flattening the curve.

To elaborate on that, if 100M people contract coronavirus at or close to the same time, the health care system is going to get completely crushed. There are less than 1M hospital beds in the US. If even 10% of people who get it require hospitalization (based on known cases that's a decent guess) then something like 9M people could die simply due to lack of sufficient care. If, on the other hand, that 100M people all get the virus spread out over the course of several months, then the odds are better that the health care system can withstand the demand without completely collapsing.

In short, the virus is going to continue to be "a thing" until well into the summer or even into the fall, and it will be quite a while before life is fully back to normal.

-edit

As far as this season, I feel it is done. There' will be no hockey until September. The NHL will wait a couple of months, realize things aren't good to go yet, and then throw in the towel on the season.

Reactions: jkutswings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Gary Batman does everything to please owners . Virus just started , is he going to wait till next season . We might not care much about Stanly Cup , but this will effect standing and draft .

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Even though I work in a major hospital, and talks about COVID-19 have been going for a few weeks, it's incredible how fast this is blooming. It's gone from "keep an eye on things" to "batten down the hatches" since Monday.

Went to Target for a few things today. Empty shelves for toilet paper, hand sanitizer, Lysol, and many canned goods. Out of curiosity checked Walgreens, also sold out of hand sanitizer.

It sucks hockey is going to be disrupted. It sucks people are going to get very ill. Many will think this is all a big overreaction, but unless we overreact it's going to keep getting worse and worse.

I hope all these measures help us get a handle on this before the systems are too stressed.

How canceled events and self-quarantines save lives, in one chart

This makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Bench and 2xJack

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
It obviously depends on how long it lasts, but I could see the top four teams vying for the two wild card positions playing an abbreviated playoff for the two wild card positions. In this scenario, the only team that really gets screwed is Florida. All the other teams are realistically out of contention.

Now the cap next year.....that really gets interesting if they cancel the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad